Author Topic: 3 days and broken  (Read 10538 times)

Offline bakerdave

• Unit(s): 898c si
3 days and broken
« on: March 15, 2010, 10:52:04 PM »
Finally got my new 898c si. Read the manual 3 time before it ever showed up. Hooked it up to battery, following directions. It was a thing of beauty to look at. Paked it up and put it away. Pulled it out 2 days later to take it to get it installed, figured i would practice a little more, so i hooked it back to the battery, hit the power and nothing but a flash from the buttons lighting up, hit the power again, same thing. checked battery voltage and hit power again. Buttons lit up but screen is black. Called customer service and told them the problem. I was asked for email and told they would send a label to return bad unit and told they would ship me a replacement right away, and I would have it in 8 - 10 days, so i would not have to be without my unit. Called today cause i assumed return label was being emailed, and was told, i would recieve return label in 3 -5 days and would get the new unit after they received old unit. So now instead of 8 - 10 days for new unit. i need 3 - 5 for return label followed by 3 - 5 for return shipping, Then their processing. Probably gonna be a month to get this thing back. I am glad they are replacing it, But I don't like it when they change what they are telling me. Keep one story.
Has anyone had screen issues? hope this is not something with the 898. Also i assume the screen should not get Very hot to the touch. This screen was very hot withing 10 minutes of being on when it worked

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
Re: 3 days and broken
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 11:49:15 PM »
bakerdave,

Welcome to the forum.  Sorry to hear you are having issues.  Every unit goes through a burn in period at the Humminbird Factory and hopefully any issues or defects will be found.

The screen should not have been hot at all!  I am sure they will get you fixed up asap.  Humminbird stands behind their products and will certainly take care of any issues as quickly as possible.

As for the shipping labels having to be mailed, I am not sure why this is, but it would be a huge plus if they could send them via email for you to print. 

Good Luck and hope everything gets sorted out quickly,

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
  • Unit(s): HELIX 9 G3N, 998Cx SI, 959DI
  • Software: latest (mostly)
  • Accessories: AS GR50, custom towfish and: A boat!!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 03:46:35 AM »
BOOTSTRAP!!

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=661.0

I'd give it a try. Sounds like it's locked in boot mode. I had similar symptoms on my 981 last year in Spring when I received it and played around with it.

Regards and good luck bakerdave / Harry
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 03:55:45 AM by Jolly Roger »
YES,......
WE SCAN!

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 04:52:33 PM »
Harry gave a good tutorial on upgrading code.  One question:  did you restore factory defaults before upgrading.  and when did you insert the sd card.  before or after powerup. hmmm  actually that is more than one question.   ;Dw  chuck

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 06:05:02 PM »
Before returning the unit I would try testing it on a different battery.  Also check the wire where it runs into the connectors that you are using to make sure that it does not have any broken strands which could inhibit the flow of current (voltage would check good but the unit does not get the amperage it needs to run).

You could save some days by paying to ship the unit in yourself but for us to pay for shipping you have to wait on the return label.
[I’ll have to ask about being able to print the shipper label…]

Actually the unit can get quite warm to the touch (depends on the person and the air temperature you are in).  The backlight on these units produce quite a bit of heat just like the 997 and other 900 series units do.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline bakerdave

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 07:42:58 PM »
I tried it on both batteries i have. Both are running about 13 volts. Not sure what happened. Like i said it looked great for the few minutes i had it on the first time. Just black screen second time i tried to power it up. It would be much easier if they would email shipping label, and quicker. I know other place email them (xbox does for red rings on there units) I am just very frustrated. I was so excited to get it and i was having someone else install it and had to cancel. Weather finally warmed up here and the cabin fever is killing me. I do have faith in customer service.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 08:23:58 PM »
Some times a bad ground will give strange symptoms.  or a shared ground.   chuck

Offline bakerdave

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 08:49:25 PM »
connected it directly to the pos/neg terminals. except for fuse nothing else attached. gonna wait for return label. hope turnover is quick. what would it take for a screen to just go black. tottaly black not any light at all, except buttons light up. guess i just have bad luck. as for reboot. nothing happened, others than buttons lighting up. thanks for the help

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 09:26:55 PM »
dave are you using a 3 amp fuse.  or something smaller.  The start up amp draw is about 1.8 amps.  just another thought.  chuckj

Offline bakerdave

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 09:44:32 PM »
3 amp. fuse.

Offline offroad

• Unit(s): 1197/ 898
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 02:58:54 AM »
Well this is my story, l paid for my unit a while back  its on backorder  says the man with a cheezy grin.. so l wait. :(  Read that manual three times and wait some more. :( l get notification that its been shipped   yes,yes  wont be long now. :)l greet the postman with a smile, just sign here he says and its all yours. l open up the box with glee.. its here finally  what a thing of beauty ;D untill l remove the front cover :( Theres a crack from one side of the screen to the other :'( Oh no  l quickly  make the call .The man with the cheezy grin says dont dispair just send it back.. So l wait some more  :'(

ila_rendered

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 08:14:08 AM »
that is a sad story   :'(  Did the package look like it had been damaged.  did you get the unit at the store and could not see the package.  having toured the factory and viewed the packaging process it appears that from the factory it goes out without physical defect.  what happend in the delivery process and unpacking at a dealer , or delivery to your place, is up to question.    No quality program that I know of there. I can understand your frustration for something that just should not happen. Hopefully the cheesy grin has a heart and gets you a replacement very quickly.  I am interested if the unit came directly to you.  Chuck

Offline offroad

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 09:48:54 AM »
Chuck
          The unit was sent from the dealer. The box that it came in was quite large with airbags as protection. Did USPS give it a hard time ? Good question but looking at the postage box l dont think so .The units box had a small tear in one corner .{Maybe l did that when it arrived i was so happy to get the unit } but no other damage... it looks like the unit was dropped at some stage by whom and how we shall never know..The latest is that the units are on backorder again at the dealers. So l wait some more  :'(  its strange the things that go through your mind like,  what if l just take the back off buy a piece of glass and , and,  and,  then you wake up to yourself This is just a moment in time, a small hicup {Hopefully } Stay tuned

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 10:41:23 AM »
Eufaula does a great job on packing and inspecting before packing.  Dont know if Jim Carey (pet Detective) was the delivery boy.   :o ;D   The down side is the production schedule and shipping delays your getting a new unit.  Hang in there.  I have confidence that you will receive a new unit. 

Greg, if you read this.  How does the factory handle return defective requests and getting a new unit back to the customer without delays or interuption of the mfg cycles?     chuck

Offline bakerdave

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 11:09:15 AM »
That sucks. I feel your pain. Is customer service through humminbird taking care of this, or where you got it? I have already been listed in humminbird's system as getting a replacement once i get my return label and mine sent back, I know they said they had none in stock 4 days ago. Hopefully it won't be long

Offline offroad

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 01:06:51 PM »
The dealer that l bought the unit through is handing this problem. l have to laugh because for the past 20 years l have been a Lowance man but since the release of the HDS units l have had three units returned because of water ingress, Two units in there first two weeks ! So enough is enough time to change bands and this happens. My problem is time because l have got to get my head around the Si before the next fishing Comp. Quite happy with my choice to change to HB its just a hicup { l hope }  ::)

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 01:55:54 PM »
I think you find a lot of old lowrance users here now.  Since navico bought out darrel,,, Low has gone down the tubes in quality.  I dont look back at all.  chuck

Offline bakerdave

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 02:10:59 PM »
I was a lowrance person and never had an issue, just started reading they went down hill. I actually reinstalled an old zercom z-160 (like 20 years old) instead of reinstalling lowrance. the guy that is going to install my 898 has at least a dozen of his customers wanting to see the 898. He has them coming to his shop when he installs it. they are all lowrance people.

Offline Singleshot

• Unit(s): 798c Si
  • Software: 4.780
  • Accessories: n/a
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 01:40:20 PM »
I just switched from the dark side, L.O.L.  ;D
I'm still running my Lowrance along side my HB.  But when they go they will be gone.

JK
To ignore the facts does not change the facts.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 10:33:38 AM »
Chuck,
We handle them as any other serviced unit.  Once we receive the unit we process it within three days and ship it back out.  For the cracked display we would have to install a completely new front housing with display.  As long as we have the parts on hand this should be pretty quick.  Usually there is more time spent in shipping.

One thing that can speed up returns like Offroad’s and Bakerdave’s is to give the Customer Resource folks a credit card to charge a replacement unit against – this is only so they can key an order for a new unit and than reverse the charge when they get the defective/damaged unit back in.  The only other way to speed up the process is to pay for priority shipping both ways.  I checked on the ability to e-mail the return labels or have a link to be able to print out the return labels but unfortunately our shipper of choice does not allow this.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 12:44:20 PM »
OK thanks.  I had forgotten to ask this when robert and I were there.  I thoought you might have repair processes that were not tied to production cycles.  From what we saw on the tour you gave us, I would suspect the unit was dropped in transit and did not leave the factory that way.  You have a great hand on quality control on the mfg and shipping side.  chuck

Offline bakerdave

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 07:01:07 PM »
All right got it back today. It is all hooked up and will be on the lake tomorrow. The customer support is really good at humminbird. They were really halpful anytime i called

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo