Author Topic: Snapshot on 1197c gets "failed to capture" error message  (Read 27685 times)

Offline thehop

• Unit(s): 1197c, 998c SI
  • Software: 4.750
  • Accessories: Interlink
Snapshot on 1197c gets "failed to capture" error message
« on: August 08, 2010, 05:11:15 PM »
I have an 1197c with SW version 4.750.   I turn on Snapshot in the Accessories menu and I have an SD card in the right bay slot (left bay holds my Navionics card).   When I hit the MARK key, it stores the waypoint but says it "failed to capture.....".   I called support and the suggested I format the SD card on my PC rather than my Nikon camera.   So I formatted it with the default FAT file format.    I also tried to export to the SD card.  I have nearly 100 waypoints in my 1197c and it says the export was successful.  However when I look at the SD card data in Humminbird PC, it has 4 bogus waypoints that aren't anywhere near my GPS coordinates.

Anyone have any ideas?

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
Re: Snapshot on 1197c gets "failed to capture" error message
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 08:50:50 PM »
After you formatted the card on the computer did it do the screen capture OK?

Few Questions:

What brand, type, and size SD card are you using?

Did you try the card in the left slot to see if it works there?

When you are in Humminbird PC, are you making sure to upload the waypoints from the SD card and not seeing some old file that it automatically loads on startup?

I certainly suggest updating to the latest software version and see if that helps.  My guess though, is that the problem is or was the card or card format.  It sounds like you were able to export all nav data successfully, and sounds like the card may be working.

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline thehop

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 10:07:11 PM »
Thanks for the reply Robert.   No, after formatting the screen capture did not work.  I checked to make sure the 1197c recognized the card and it did (via the GPS diagnostic menu).   With the boat in my garage, I did the export to the SD card which appeared to work.  The unit did create something on the card, but it did not export my nearly 100 waypoints.  Or, I'm not smart enough to download them from the SD card to Humminbird PC.   I read the help and it said to "download" from the SD card to the PC.   It gave me 4 bogus waypoints.  Did not try to use the left slot, but I didn't think that shoud matter.
I'm using a 1.0 Gb, SanDisk SD card.  I retested it in my camera and it works fine.   The fact that I can format it from my PC and the 1197c sees it makes me think I'm just missing something obvious.   I'm guessing it is the format as well, but then how could the unit write anything on the card (ie. the export creaed some folders and a file with the 4 bogus waypoints).  Thx much.

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 10:55:55 PM »
Email me the DATA.HWR file it created and I will check it out.  Should be in the Matrix folder on the SD card.

Email address is my user name (rgecy) at earthlink.net.

Robert 
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 12:38:56 PM »
Can you borrow another SD card and try it in your 1197 to see if it will work?  Try both slots even though it should not matter which you use.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline thehop

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 08:38:19 PM »
Sorry to be so long in replying.  I've been checking things out and I now believe my unit needs to be replaced (only 4 months old).   Here is what is happening.    At this time I still have the original two problems with the 1197c Humminbird unit:
1) can't save a waypoint picture to an SD card (nor can I export data to the SD card).  I bought a new card with the same result.
2) and a new problem came up, a line of white down the middle of the left side of the screen (just left of the boat line)

This past weekend I was fishing on a local lake and travelling back to the ramp using the 9.9 HP 4-Stroke kicker engine.   All of a suddent the 1197c went blank.   I turned it back on and found that my track for that day was gone and my recently saved waypoint was gone.  I checked Lake Cumberland and another lake for waypoints I had saved and they are all gone.   It's like the unit purged it's memory.

This happened as I was running the 4-stroke and I went to trim down the motor (can't remember which one 225 Merc or 9.9).   The 1197c seemed to short or something.  It happened so quickly I'm not really sure.   But the bottom line is all of my data is gone and I still have the original two problems.

What do you recommend?   The unit is certainly still under warranty, but should I send it directly to Humminbird or bring it back to the boat dealer?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 01:42:19 PM »
I would deal directly with Humminbird on this.

What brands of memory card did you use?  We recommend SanDisk brand but others will work too.
The second problem (white line down the left side of the boat line; does it happen when the kicker motor is completely out of the water?
Watch the voltage on the 1197 the next time you are out and start using the motor trim as the available current may drop which would cause the unit to shut off.

Offline uwdiver

• Unit(s): 997si
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 02:55:11 PM »
After you formatted the card on the computer did it do the screen capture OK?

Few Questions:

What brand, type, and size SD card are you using?

Did you try the card in the left slot to see if it works there?

When you are in Humminbird PC, are you making sure to upload the waypoints from the SD card and not seeing some old file that it automatically loads on startup?

I certainly suggest updating to the latest software version and see if that helps.  My guess though, is that the problem is or was the card or card format.  It sounds like you were able to export all nav data successfully, and sounds like the card may be working.

Robert
I've had this problem with my 998 but I was sitting in my driveway so the boat wasn't in the water. Can you take a snapshot or record with the transducer out of the water?

Offline TIM ABNER

• Unit(s): 1187
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 04:02:33 PM »
I have a 1197 c si nvb bla bla bla. and i have the same white lines on the screen on the left side. There is nothing in the way. Even with the trim all the way down.
I also have a problem with mine not having a map of the lake i always fish (cedar creek lake crab orchard ky) I have a 300 dollar Lowrance that has that lake map I do not understand. Can anyone tell me how I can get that lake map? Called nav they told me they just didn't have that lake. Who does Lowrance get there base maps from. Sorry for ranting on bottom line love the 1197 but would love to resolve these issues

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 11:43:48 AM »
uwdiver,
Yes you can make a Screen Snapshot or Sonar Recording with the boat (transducer) out of the water.  If your 998 is not saving a Screen Snapshot I would be sure and test the SD card in both slots.  If that does not work; try formatting the SD card (make sure if it is larger than a 2GB that you use a formatting software for these larger SDHC cards).  If that does not help try another SD card.  If that does not work contact Humminbird’s Customer Resource folks at 1-800-633-1468.  At all times be sure and try both memory card slots and be sure to have set the Screen Snapshot menu to “On”.

Tim,
If you are sure that there is nothing to the left of the Si transducer that will cause the white line than it could be an issue with the transducer itself.  Try this though: see if the white line appears when the boat is drifting both with the motor on and off.  If it still does it than try testing your 1197 on someone else’s boat that has an Si unit and if possible; their unit on your boat.

As far as the lake goes: if Navionics does not have it on their maps than we cannot display it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo