Side Imaging Forums > 1197c SI, 1198c SI & 1199ci HD SI

Volt reading on 1199

(1/7) > >>

graggy:
I have a 1199si hd and when I turn it on without the motor running the voltage reads 11.9-12 volts. When I put a meter on the battery at the same time the meter reads 12.9-13 volts. When I run the motor I’m reading 13.5 but it jumps around. My motor is a OptiMax 225 pro xs 2006. When I’m running around and hit my trim button the voltage reading goes down to 11.9-12 volts. The battery is brand new. I just replaced it because every time I start my motor the 1199 would turn off and I would have to turn it on again. It never did that before I could turn the motor on and off all day and the 1199 would never shut off. Can anyone tell me what I should look at to see whats going on? Thanks

sonar112:
Could be corrosion or a loose connection somewhere. Check all of your wiring connections for signs of corrosion.  Start at the battery, and include ALL connections at busbars, terminal blocks, butt connectors, in-line fuses, etc.  Also look at the wire at each connector...sometimes corrosion can migrate up inside the insulation.  Don't just look at the 1199 wiring - also check the circuit to and from the engine.   

fishreed:

--- Quote from: graggy on March 30, 2018, 11:06:24 AM ---I have a 1199si hd and when I turn it on without the motor running the voltage reads 11.9-12 volts. When I put a meter on the battery at the same time the meter reads 12.9-13 volts. When I run the motor I’m reading 13.5 but it jumps around. My motor is a OptiMax 225 pro xs 2006. When I’m running around and hit my trim button the voltage reading goes down to 11.9-12 volts. The battery is brand new. I just replaced it because every time I start my motor the 1199 would turn off and I would have to turn it on again. It never did that before I could turn the motor on and off all day and the 1199 would never shut off. Can anyone tell me what I should look at to see whats going on? Thanks

--- End quote ---

You need to get your sonars disconnected from your outboard's start battery and get them connected to a second battery. Connecting electronics to the crank battery causes all sorts of electrical surge and spike problems.

graggy:
Then why do the sonar give battery voltage? It doesn’t seem right just to give you the voltage of a battery thats not being charged while using.

N9Phil:
Modern day electronics is very sensitive to voltage fluctuations.  When a boat motor starts it draws a lot of current and this will cause the voltage of the starting battery voltage to to drop down.  This can cause real problems in sensitive electronics.  Not only does this cause the voltage to drop it can also cause voltage spikes and these can cause real problems at times.  The reason that your electronic equipment shows the voltage is so you can monitor the state of your battery.  The same reason not to have your electronics connected to your motor battery also applies to not connecting your electronics to your trolling motor batteries.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version