Author Topic: Simple question re: Version ?  (Read 8556 times)

Offline MarioFisherman

• FatherWalleye
  • Unit(s): 898 SI Combo
  • Software: 5.7 and 6.610
  • Accessories: I pilot link,
Simple question re: Version ?
« on: April 11, 2013, 04:48:31 PM »
I never installed any Versions on my 898c SI Combo, even thou I got it 2 years ago. At that time I download v. 5.7 on SD card but never installed it. Today I download v.610 to another SD card. Which one should I put in the unit, old or new one? Do I need to keep the old one? Thanks again for your help. God bless you

with prayers
Fr. Mariusz "Father Walleye" :)
Remember a famous fishing tip: "Praying and Jigging"

Offline MarioFisherman

• FatherWalleye
Re: Simple question re: Version ?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 12:08:54 AM »
If you install the latest version of the software v6.610 do I need at all the previous version if I never installed otherwise?

I remember on one of Forum topics someone suggested to keep the new and old versions on a separate SD card.
Do I need to do that. Thank again for any advice. Have a good night.

with prayers

Offline MarioFisherman

• FatherWalleye
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 12:58:15 AM »
on one of the topics "jgcox6" was asking:

Is there a way to find out what my original version was?  I want to go back to 6.490 because of all the update issues that are going on.  I just want the best picture on my si and have heard the newer versions sacrificed the better quality pictures.

Are there more issues with the new firmware version 6.610?

My unit was bought in the fall 2010 and given to me as a Christmas gift that year. Which version should I install in my unit?

thanks again

with prayers
Fr. Mariusz "Father Walleye"

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 11:27:40 AM »
Any software version will also include all previous updates...so which ever version you decide will include all the features and fixes released prior...

It is always a good idea to have the last "stable" version of software on a separate SD card in case things go awry with unit operation...(the last "stable" version for your particular unit might be a good topic for you to ask in the forum)...

When you log into your HB account and click on the latest software version for your unit, a software description will popup before you click "Download"....

Read that description...(better yet "copy and paste" that description into a document file)...

If there is nothing in that particular version update that benefits you....it may be best to not use it...as many bugs have been reported in the latest versions that have not been completely sorted out yet)...

BTW...I keep 5 SD cards with my unit at all times...:
1 with last "stable" version of software
1 with current version of software
1 with all my backed up waypoints
1 with saved recordings and snapshots
1 blank for today's fishing

SD cards are cheap....

Rickie
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 11:35:51 AM by rnvinc »

Offline MarioFisherman

• FatherWalleye
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 12:37:13 PM »
Rickie,

I'm glad to hear your response. It was your post at least a year ago I read on HB Forum re: having 5 SD cards as you just posted on this topic:

BTW...I keep 5 SD cards with my unit at all times...:
1 with all my backed up waypoints
1 with saved recordings and snapshots
1 blank for today's fishing

As soon I read it at that time your post ( I like this idea than and now) I asked one my parishioners - a snowbirds, to buy in Phoenix 5 cards SDHC UHS-I Extreme - class 10 - 8GB and I have one 4GB SDHC - class 6 - Coremicro . THANK YOU, Rickie for this pro-fisherman advice. I got it.

Re:

Which one do you use currently on your HB unit?
If new v.6.610 has a many bugs in it, do you attempted do install it?

I'll take your advice and check the version for my unit and let you know which one it is.
Thanks again and God bless you

with prayers
Fr. Mariusz "Father Walleye"

Offline MarioFisherman

• FatherWalleye
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 04:37:10 PM »
This is what came of of the latest firmware version for 898c SI Combo on Humminbird website for my unit:

Download

898 (Version 6.610)
Release Date: 03/15/2013

Description:
v6.610 includes changes to POS Script Updates and includes general performance and stability updates plus everything included in v6.600 • Added enhancements for 2D/DI/SI sonar scroll rate on the 798ci HD SI. • Fixed an issue where SI data was scrolling at twice the intended rate. • Fixed an issue where 2D/DI data was not in sync on the 798ci HD SI. • Fixed an issue where 2D/DI data was not in sync if 83/200 kHz mode was enabled. • Fixed an issue where DI Zoom was not in sync. • Fixed SI Sensitivity issues on the 898c SI, 998c SI, 1197c SI, 1198c SI. • Fixed an issue where Demonstration Mode OFF would not force normal mode and a connected transducer state. • Fixed an issue where rapidly forcing the unit into Simulator Mode could cause the unit to restart. • Fixed an issue where Ethernet sonar subscriptions would eventually drop off if the Control Head was booted with Sonar turned Off • Fixed an issue where Ethernet sonar subscriptions would eventually drop off if Sonar was turned Off and then back On within 60 seconds without a reboot. • Fixed an Ethernet issue where the Heading Line ON/OFF setting would not be saved between restarts while subscribed to a remote AS GPS + HS. • Removed Universal Sonar II transducer selection option, now users should select dual beam as their selection. • LakeMaster map coding was updated to work with i-PilotLINK • Tweaks were made to radar functionality to fix a memory leak • Fixed a bug that caused some models to sometimes skip a view when cycling through views. • Locked NMEA output at 4800 baud when enabled • Added 360 Imaging operation menus and capabilities • Added iPilotLINK operation menus and capabilities

Prerequisite:
You will need a working MMC/SD reader/writer device attached to your PC and a formatted MMC/SD card.

Instructions:
Please follow the instructions in our FAQ covering downloading software to a MMC or SD card at the following url which you will need to copy and paste to the address line of your browser.. http://www.humminbird.com/FAQ.aspx?ContentId=1737

I'm still looking for the "stable" version for my unit. Any thoughts?  God bless you

with prayers

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 12:45:01 PM »
I think that most would say that it was version 6.490
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline raypla

• Unit(s): 898 HD SI
  • Accessories: I-Link
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 09:56:25 PM »
Will that version allow the Ilink to communicate with the 898c, and allow full functionality of my new equipment?
16.5' Tracker Deep-V
50 hp Mercury
55lb Terrova I-Link
898 HDSI

Offline MarioFisherman

• FatherWalleye
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 01:58:29 AM »
Greg,

It a joy to hear from you again. Thank you for your help.

Do I need to have and keep on SD other versions (factory or the one I downloaded for the first time in fall 2010 - v5.700)?

If the v.6.490 is the "stable"version, do I have to have only this and v.6.610?

Ray has a good point, does v.6.490 has all the "goodies" needed for I-pilot link?

Thanks again and have a good night to all. God bless you, especially victims, injured and their families in Boston bombing attack.

with prayers for you and those families
Fr. Mariusz "Father Walleye"  :)

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 02:51:09 PM »
Father Walleye, I thought that was you!  Nice to see you finally getting closer to getting that 898c Si unit on a boat and into the water!

No, the 6.490 version does not have software support for the iPilot link.  You would need 6.610 for that.

You do not have to keep the older software versions on SD cards.  Some keep a single version on SD card in case they think that the latest version of software is causing some problem (which it has…).  Otherwise I would save to my computer or at least know where I can get them from should I need them (like the downloads section of this web site).
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline raypla

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 06:29:55 PM »
So what your telling me is that MinnKota an Hummingbird put out a product that is advertised as working with each other when in reality you have to download this and that to make em jive?  That is kinda bogus if you ask me. 

But I guess if I had to wait for 6 months for them to get the bugs worked out, that would have sucked more. 
16.5' Tracker Deep-V
50 hp Mercury
55lb Terrova I-Link
898 HDSI

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 06:51:24 PM »
So what your telling me is that MinnKota an Hummingbird put out a product that is advertised as working with each other when in reality you have to download this and that to make em jive?  That is kinda bogus if you ask me. 

But I guess if I had to wait for 6 months for them to get the bugs worked out, that would have sucked more. 

The I-pilot link is a new feature for Humminbird......It wouldn't be a new feature if it was included in an old software release.

The functionality is only in the recent software release.....seems pretty normal to me.
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline raypla

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 07:21:28 PM »
The I-pilot link is a new feature for Humminbird......It wouldn't be a new feature if it was included in an old software release.

The functionality is only in the recent software release.....seems pretty normal to me.

Regarding the I-pilot link comment: As is the 898c HD SI, it's not like I'm trying to get a 2 year old model fish finder to comunicate with it.

Regarding the "old software release" comment:   What seems pretty normal to me is that when you buy new equipment, purchase on 3/16/13 an 898 HDSI & Terrova I-Link, it should come with the correct software release to work as advertised.  I'm not trying to start a pissing match but 6.49 is a pretty recent release, if I'm wrong oh well, but I'm a bit frustrated.
16.5' Tracker Deep-V
50 hp Mercury
55lb Terrova I-Link
898 HDSI

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 07:40:34 PM »
OK, I understand what you are saying now.....I reacted a little too quickly to the tone of your comments.

There will always be some overlap in compatibility when a new accessory is sent to market.......even on items purchased at the same time because of the number of units in the "pipeline." 

If a new accessory was announced today, and the new software was released to support it, and the same day, the factory is producing units with the software release that supports the new accessory......... there will still be a certain number of units that were already sent to dealers, but not sold that won't be compatible.

Some units could be in dealer inventory for quite some time before being sold.....It may suck, but no way around it.  The good news is you can update the software to support the I-Pilot Link for free instead of having to buy another 898.
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline MarioFisherman

• FatherWalleye
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 02:23:19 PM »
Thank you all who contribute to this posting. Some of the questions maybe be answered by going to this very well done website, that speaks about I pilot link and HB SI unites. Enjoy it. I posted this link on General Forum also. God bless you

http://www.jasonhalfenoutdoors.com/Link1.html

with prayers
Fr. Mariusz "Father Walleye"  :)

Offline MarioFisherman

• FatherWalleye
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 04:01:26 PM »
Greg suggested:

No, the 6.490 version does not have software support for the i Pilot link.  You would need 6.610 for that.

You do not have to keep the older software versions on SD cards.  Some keep a single version on SD card in case they think that the latest version of software is causing some problem (which it has…).  Otherwise I would save to my computer or at least know where I can get them from should I need them (like the downloads section of this web site). [/quot

I'll keep on one SD card the latest version for I pilot link - v.6.610 ( I installed that one on HB unit)

Here is the question:

If v.6.610 will give me trouble, do I use/keep on another SD card, a "stable" version for my unit v.6.490 or v.6.310?

Someone, I forgot who posted (probably Rickie) similar concern showing the snap shots taken from the same place on v.6.610 and then v.6.310. The v.6.610 didn't show that clear object he was looking for. It was clear and nice view on v.6.310.

Thanks for anyone input. God bless you

with prayers

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo