Author Topic: SI mosaicing software - is it any good ?....  (Read 14678 times)

Offline dizzyfish

• 987 SI on a kayak !
    • Extreme UK Kayak Fishing
  • Unit(s): 987SI
  • Software: 4.770
SI mosaicing software - is it any good ?....
« on: January 15, 2011, 11:46:56 AM »
I just noticed a website which is offering 2 software tools which sound like they are able to mosaic SI footage into Google maps...

http://www.sonartrx.com

The website doesn't tell me much - and there are no evaulations.

I have been looking for software to mosaic multiple SI tracks for ages now - and this sounds like it sould be the solution. I also hear that DrDepth was offerring something too.

Does anyone know if the 2 products are any good ?
The world's most advanced fishing kayak

Offline accueview

• Accuemap
  • Unit(s): 997
Re: SI mosaicing software - is it any good ?....
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 04:42:35 PM »
I've been working with Bruce "Doc" Samson with mapping and imagery for his fishing professionally for a number of years. A while back we were introduced  to DrDepth so Bruce could make his maps on the water instead of having to get the data to me so I could process it an send it back.  As time went we kept asking Per Pellin, the developer, for more and more things and with side scan coming onto the scene with the Humminbirds I wanted a software that I could use with the depth data, and I think Per's doing a great job with it.   One of the great things is Per is always working to make improvements and include new features.  One of the most recent is being able to use the 3D model function of the mapping to make side scan images 3D.  You can check out a couple of simple images at

http://www.myspace.com/accuemap/photos/albums/side-scan-images/1225503#mssrc=SitesPhotos_SP_AlbumCover_ViewAlbum

Here's an extremely well done video by John Easton on what you can do with DrDepth.

http://www.bassing.co.za/bassingforum/boating-electronics/4967-drdepth-quick-guide-latest-features.html

I'm envious of the job he did.

I've been using Humminbird so I can't do it but Bruce uses Lowrance, www.doctorsonar.com , and whats really neat is he can connect the Lowrances to display the side scan real time on a laptop on the water.  This works really nice with mosaicing the data.   

Warren Parsons

Offline Fishton

• FishTec
    • FishTec - Sonar and Mapping Solutions
  • Unit(s): 1197cxSI
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 11:58:11 PM »
Hi dizzyfish,

I try my hardest to not compare 2 products without actually using BOTH.

In this case I have used both -

Sonar TRX is a great add-on program that merely overlays into Google Earth.  Personally I feel this should be Freeware -  at least the Lite Version that is.

DrDepth by Per Pelin (Sweden) is a stand alone program that does so much more than just overlay SideScan data into Google Earth.  Drdepth will convert your sonar logs/recordings into depth, bottom type (hard to soft) and SideScan data that can be viewed in 3D, then rotated and zoomed in to get an intimate knowledge of the area you are fishing. 

You can export all this data to a chart format that can be used on your Chart Plotter.

DrDepth has opened a whole new exciting aspect to my fishing and is continually evolving in the way that it manipulates sonar data.

John Easton
FishTec

- thanks Warren :)

Offline bobn

• Unit(s): 997 csi
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 08:54:05 AM »
I have been utilizing DrDepth software for three years and it really is a great product that continually evolves with major new features and optional addons , sidescan mosaicing and bottom hardness.  The developer supports his product and is accessible , there is also a yahoo drdepth support group.  In my opinion you can't go wrong with this software.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 10:04:56 AM »
Also a program called 3DF is a good mapping program. althought the moasic may not be as good as DrDepth.

www.3dfmaps.com

Chuck
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 10:11:30 AM by sonar2000 »

Offline bobn

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 12:26:29 PM »
When did 3d field add functionality for si mosaicing?

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 12:34:12 PM »
3df does not have moasic as yet, but it starts a good bottom mappping process. Cheaper than drdepth and a good starting place. Drdepth is an indepth program and worth the money if you are in Geo.
For you guys...... Drdepth is great....... for others and depending on their needs a lesser mapping program may do.
3DF  does contours very well and 3d meaning depth and elevation. (bathymetric).
I am looking for moasic out of them soon coming..
Chuck   
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 12:39:19 PM by sonar2000 »

Offline CHOOhonets

• Unit(s): 998 HD SI
  • Software: 6.49
  • Accessories: AS SI LR Y cable
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 02:38:33 AM »
Can I use Dr. Depth with Humminbird 798 or it is only possible to use it with Lowrance units???

Offline Daniele_Mari

• Italy B.A.S.S. Federation Nation
  • Unit(s): 798ci SI Combo
  • Software: 4.960
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 03:12:20 AM »
Can I use Dr. Depth with Humminbird 798 or it is only possible to use it with Lowrance units???

I use dr Depth with 798 records ... But I still not able to create a map for my humminbird.

But I do not have Mosaic version.

Daniele from Italy

www.italybass.com

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 08:08:17 AM »
DrDepth SS version is very good.  Here are a couple scans we have been working on for a cable crossing that punctured a water main.  The images can be georeferenced and exported to Google Earth.  Or you can create your own maps from them and use them in programs like OziExplorer.

DrDepth of course does quite a bit more and also will have real time sonar acquisition when HB activates the Ethernet port.  That alone is a huge feature I am looking forward to.

Robert

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 08:14:01 AM by RGecy »
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline accueview

• Accuemap
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 09:05:21 AM »
Some thing interesting if you haven't already seen it.

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Mapping/Cartography-Toolkit/

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 11:12:36 AM »
Interesting if you want to build cartography (lowrance) screen but if you want bathymetric DrDepth is the key....
Chuck....
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 11:46:44 AM by sonar2000 »

Offline SeaJay

• Deep South Divers
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 02:18:01 PM »
Good stuff, Bobby!

I know that you were critical of the way that the water column was removed on this software when you and I were talking earlier today...  But it looks fine to me.

...What's really cool, though, and I haven't seen it before (maybe it's common - I just don't know mosaic software that well) - is the way that the software put "curves" in the scans.  That is, if our runs aren't perfectly straight, the mosaic software here knows that and places curves in the right spot, effectively "unstretching" the image correctly.

Alternatively, if you look at a run without the mosaic software, a curved run will be shown straight, "stretching" the image incorrectly.  This software makes up for that.

The bottom line is that I think it looks really great.  I think our client will be very pleased.

Can we go larger?  Show more of the site?
"There is no nobility in leaving artifacts on the bottom of the sea, for she is brutally efficient at erasing history forever.  The wreck diver is the dead’s only hope of being remembered."

Offline accueview

• Accuemap
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 04:24:41 PM »
Sonar2000. I'm not sure if you missing the point of the Lowrance Cartographic package, you'll be able to take vector and  raster data into the Lowrance format.  In other words you'll be able to make a side scan mosaic over laid with contours and any other features you want, say bottom hardness.   Unfortunately Lowrance is going to want royalties from any sales and likely a base charge, making it some thing the average Joe isn't going to want to do.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 04:51:45 PM »
I may be not seeing exactly the big picture on this but you are right in that it will probably cost for the package.
Is this just overlaying the sonar with the GPS track? 
Still not sure that the best might be DrDepth with less to do.
If you use  the program,  please keep us updated with picture.
This will have to be followed with interest..
Chuck

Offline Dale

• Parks Victoria
  • Unit(s): (4 x) 997c
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 04:34:00 AM »
DrDepth SS version is very good.  Here are a couple scans we have been working on for a cable crossing that punctured a water main.  The images can be georeferenced and exported to Google Earth.  Or you can create your own maps from them and use them in programs like OziExplorer.

DrDepth of course does quite a bit more and also will have real time sonar acquisition when HB activates the Ethernet port.  That alone is a huge feature I am looking forward to.

Robert

I'm DrDepth user as well.  I use the program for mosiacing, then exporting the mosiac into GIS software (Manifold GIS) for further analysis. Most of our work is large scale, not hunting small sites at high definition. We are doing runs of 1 - 5km at 50m swath width and over areas of 500ha and greater.

DrDepth provides enough functionality to be a useful product. Covering large areas needs good mision planning and some means of making sure the skipper mows regular, straight overlapping lines. Having real time feed back (ethernet) can confirm the accuracy of the runs. Exporting mosiacs to GIS is a bit of a workaround, as Dr Depth does not export to any common raster GIS format. I use PNG and export a kml file that I can then gather enough projection and registration information to bring the image into my GIS.

Either way DrDepth is a great tool in the sonar toolbox, and and for the price represents good value. Run planning and helming indicators, as well as raster export would make it a killer app for me. 

Offline bobn

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 11:16:45 AM »
I use a laptop in the boat running drdepth while collecting sidescan data.  The background map feature along with the survey grid  are very usefull.  The ability to make a custom map that you can view while running lines  at the azimuth of your choice  are powerfull features.  Creating a geotiff map image has been mentioned to Per , hope it's on his short list.

Offline dizzyfish

• 987 SI on a kayak !
    • Extreme UK Kayak Fishing
  • Unit(s): 987SI
  • Software: 4.770
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 04:01:37 PM »
Thanks for all of your help guys. I didn't need to be able to do stuff in real time (a laptop on a kayak is not such a great idea - but then again !) - and I wanted to be able to use Google Earth to view data super-imposed over the top of GE arial photos. The reason being that I have been collecting data in the Bristol Channel in the UK - we have the second highest tidal range in the world - and the Google Earth images in that area (luckily) were taken at low water. So you can see the reefs which are covered at high water. This gave me a unique opportunity to go over the reefs at high water and see how accurate the data from the HB 987 was compared to the real arial photos  8)

I have been using Sonar TRX - and only really scratched the surface - but the results (even with default options) are very interesting...

You can see how close the sonar footage is to the real reef.

I also did some collection further out past the low water marks and found som enew bits of reef...

I am quite pleased with the results - more in the video....

Ultimate Fishing Kayak - Side Imaging Sonar footage in Google Earth

And on my website...

http://dizzybigfish.co.uk/amazing-side-imaging-tool-view-your-sonar-images-in-google-earth/
The world's most advanced fishing kayak

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo