Author Topic: transducer spraying up back of the boat  (Read 8382 times)

Offline EZM

• Unit(s): ONIX 10 SI, 898c HD SI,858c (x2), 688ICE
  • Software: vX.XXX and v6.570
  • Accessories: Terrova i-Pilot Link, 5 port Ethernet
transducer spraying up back of the boat
« on: June 10, 2013, 06:04:56 PM »
my 2d transducer off my 858 is shooting water straight up soaking my engine and the back of my boat anytime I'm over 30 mph.......At 40 mph the driver and passenger at the helm are enjoying a nice steady mist.

This would be great if I lived in hot sunny Florida - but I'm up here in Canada ....lol.

This issue started on the last trip (the 5th trip for my boat). Not sure why it showed up suddenly, nor does anything look different on the transducer (as it has remained mounted in the same position).

Not sure what to do as it is level and correctly positioned according to the diagrams and installation instructions.

The boat is a 2013 1800 Lund Tyee Aluminum walleye type boat.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: transducer spraying up back of the boat
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 11:07:08 AM »
Something must have changed if it was not doing this before and now is…
Is the plug still in the transducer/mount?

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline EZM

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 01:24:20 PM »
Plug? not sure what that means exactly. The only difference is - my fuel tank has been full to 3/4 full the first 4-5 day trips.

As far as I can tell the transducer is exactly in the same position, with no evidence of anything unusual on it (damage) or changes to the position.

This issue started when the fuel tank is under 1/2 full ............ not sure but that is the only difference that might contribute to it sitting higher or lower in the water column as I am at cruising speed maybe ......????? not 100% sure - this is the one and only difference we can think of.

I used electrical tape to tape around the transducer bracket ( a few wraps) to close the gap where the water is spraying from. My plan is to see if that works - seen this tip on the other forum. Seems to have worked for a few guys.

Maybe explain the plug you are reffering to - (or a picture) .....then I will have a look .......  thanks Greg
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 01:29:09 PM by EZM »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 12:31:01 PM »
The DualBeam units like your 858c are packaged with a transducer plug (see picture and your transducer installation guide) that blocks the area between the transducer and the mounting hardware.  Also known as a “roostertail plug”.

Offline EZM

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 11:56:42 PM »
I am stumped - I don't remember seeing this part installed on the transducer. However, I also did not have a rooster tail until my 5th outing with my new boat............

Upon checking the printed instructions provided in both boxes - there is no mention of the rooster tail guard - is this a new addition? I purchased both units (858 Cx) in early in 2013 here in Canada (brand new). Maybe they were 2012 (or earlier) units?

I also checked the second box with the original packaging still intact ( I installed only one transducer on the boat and have a second in the spare original box - and there is (was) definitely no rooster tail guard in that box.

Assuming this is correct and there has never been a guard - logic tells me - wouldn't it have been spraying since day one? the only thing we thought of was the weight of the fuel as the boat is filled up prior to each day trip and over this last weekend the fuel tank went below 1/4 for the first time ever.

Maybe the lack of weight exasperates this issue as the boat might sit up higher? ........

anyways - I digress - can I order this part? or is taping the gap going to essentially do the same thing.

The weather has been poor here lately so I have not been out since the weekend .....

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 10:39:10 AM »
I don’t understand why it is happening now either EZM.  I would think that if the boat sat lower in the back (full gas tank) that it would make it more likely to happen but than I have seen many things over the years that has perplexed me…

Yes, you should be able to order the transducer plug, though I am not sure if you can get it direct from Humminbird or through your local distributor.

Offline D S

• Unit(s): 1198 ,798hd , ipilot link and 360tm
  • Software: 7.5
  • Accessories: HDSI reefmaster Dr Depth autocharts pro
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 12:45:31 PM »
for a short term fix try black electrical tape wrapped around the spot where the plug fits...
thats what i did on my 798 ducer
stgr

Offline mako101

• Unit(s): 798si hd
  • Software: 5.210
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 01:45:47 PM »
Re-check your transducer angle, you may have knocked something. The higher speeds will cause the transducer to flex back a little more than usual. Try re-positioning so the bottom of the hull is level to the centerline on the transducer. If all fails you may just have to make up a spray deflector.

Offline EZM

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 07:56:33 PM »
UPDATE ........... has been raining and windy up here in my part of Canada so I finally got a chance to get the boat up and into the water.

I used electrical tape and taped around the opening on the bracket and PROBLEM SOLVED - no adjustments required.

Good news considering the angle, depth and center line was good and the readings are uninterrupted at any speed or condition - to move a perfectly working transducer would have been a mistake.

All the screws and mounting board was tight and secure - so I'm pretty sure it did not move.

10 cents in electrical tape and problem solved ........ thanks for the info Dave and everyone.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 07:59:19 PM by EZM »

Offline D S

• Unit(s): 1198 ,798hd , ipilot link and 360tm
  • Software: 7.5
  • Accessories: HDSI reefmaster Dr Depth autocharts pro
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 02:03:11 AM »
glad I could help ;D  as in the past I have received countless pointers and advice from others
stgr
stgr

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo