Author Topic: From 1197 to Solix  (Read 5211 times)

Offline Diesel Pro

• Unit(s): 1197c SI
  • Software: 5.500
  • Accessories: GR HA GPS, XM weather
From 1197 to Solix
« on: February 06, 2018, 12:37:49 PM »
I have no local displays to play with now that Gander closed.

When I bought my 1197 back in 2008 it was simply the biggest and the best.  I sold that boat and unit so I am looking to rig a new boat.  I'm torn between the Solix and the Helix, but in a way I am wondering if folks think that the Solix and it's latest gen software will endure or will the eventual Helix replacement leapfrog the Solix?  I realize this calls for a lot of speculation, but I figured someone here would have enough knowledge to make an educated guess.

I've only ever run a single unit, but that may change.  For this reason I think that the Solix would be a better choice than the Helix. Primary use when single is pretty simple.  Navigation when underway, then trolling I would use nav to follow my course and split to a 2d so as I follow contour or approach structure I can watch the depth trend.  This is where I eventually may split the roles to a second unit at the helm.

Size: I cannot see that going down in size is something I'd like, but then again from 10.4 down to 10.1  isn't too big a step is it?  Or is there an aspect ratio change between the series?  Leaning towards a 12".  A 10" would flush mount in my dash no problem, but the mfrs have not yet started to offer the 10.  The 12" I think I can make work with some customization.

Opinions and experiences appreciated.

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
Re: From 1197 to Solix
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 03:59:08 PM »
There are a lot of things to consider, but as far as your basic question ..... I don't think the Helix functionality with ever exceed that of the Solix .... or whatever the replacement of the Solix may be. 
The Solix can be customized a lot more .... at the risk of having too many settings options for the average user.

One other major distinction is the touch screen interface.  Right now the Helix series doesn't have that but who knows if Humminbird will come out with a model that does. 

It also depends on how much your budget allows.  You almost get 2 Helix mega 10 units for the price of a Solix 12.  I haven't looked to see what the pricing is of the new Solix 10 that has just been released.

From the images I have seen, both mega series units have excellent SI and DI imaging.
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline reso

• Unit(s): Matrix 37, 997 CSI,Helix 12 Chirp
  • Software: latest
  • Accessories: interlink, high accuracy gps,360 TM
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 04:15:40 PM »
switched here from a 997 csi to a helix12, very happy with it.
Have been looking at the solix, but could not justify the price alone for the extra display settings. The Helix has almost the same interface as the old 997 units, works flawless and fast on the water for what I need it for, and even the autochart works like a charm.
If you want to play with different menu options and settings and perhaps a little more versatile unit, buy the solix, if you don't need that, the Helix is good enough and you save some cash.

I like the 12 inch screen over the 10, because I want the big size for my 360 imaging, if you dont do that then the 10 is all you need.

Mega vs non Mega: tough one. I read a lot of stories and even some dealerships preferring the older models with the 455/800 transducer for better coverage and problems in muddy water with the 1200 Khz. No experience with that, I could get a good deal on my non mega unit and havent looked back.

just my 2 cents.

Good luck

Offline October1

• Unit(s): Getting ready to buy
  • Software: N/A
  • Accessories: None
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 11:04:13 PM »
The Solix has Side Image Mosaic Live. The Helix doesn't and it sounds like it may never have it or at least not anytime soon. I received a reply from Humminbird today in regards to an email I sent them on "Mosaic Live". It doesn't sound like they have any intentions of adding this feature on the Helix units. Anything can change but that's how it sounds.

I think it would be a nice feature to have. It would be great to have sunken ice shanties, boats, rock piles, etc to navigate to on an overlay. It could really give you a better understanding of how to fish a lake and could help you avoid having to have your screen cluttered with a bunch of waypoints in clusters. Plus you could have a spot where you just caught or seen a bunch of fish and you could quickly & easily find a similar spot (structure type & depth combination) or an even better looking spot on your overlay that you made by simply looking at your overlay. Once you make the overlay of the lake or area you will always have the ability to do this. If you like to ice fish and somebody is in your favorite spot you could check out your overlay to find a similar spot to get on fish. Plus if you run into somebody hammering a certain species you can pull up your over lay to find a similar or better spot to target the same species. It could even help you see migration routs between area's.

Offline reso

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 01:41:09 PM »
Did not know the part about live mosaic.

I made many maps in the past with the same software when it was called DrDepth before HB acquired it, and I find the bottom hardness and vegetation of use. The mosaics that I generated were ok, but only any use when you dont zig zag around like you do when mapping the area. Any sudden movements and turns and the mosaic maps is a big mess and there is nothing to navigate on.
Better keep it simple with LakeMaster or Navionics and a live generated overlay of your own depth maps with the option to switch to bottom hardness or vegetation.
I love the mosaics  dont get me wrong, but dont see a lot of practical use in the live mapping, perhaps for a small area to find some rocks or structure but for overall mapping and navigation I prefer the non mosaic maps.

again it depends whether you intend to do a lot of mapping or not, perhaps as a more future proof investment you can spent the extra cash if you think you will regret not having mosaic maps.

Offline October1

• Unit(s): Getting ready to buy
  • Software: N/A
  • Accessories: None
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 10:01:41 PM »
I agree about it not being useful when your zig zagging around. You really need to go out of your way to cruise around in a specific pattern specifically to make the map. I don't mind spending 2-3 hours cruising around mapping a lake bottom considering the wealth of information that I would get from it and could use for many years to come.

The thing I like about the live mapping is that #1 it saves you $250 on the AutoChart Pro software and #2 it allows you to see exactly what is going on live on your screen as your making your map of the lake bottom so you can line up the edges of your scans properly. That way you can make a very accurate detailed map.

Reefmaster is 5 times cheaper than AutoChart Pro and it appears to do a great job, but Humminbird won't allow Reefmaster to make changes that can be applied to your unit like Lowrance does. You do get a Zero Lines card with AutoChart Pro so that is nice, but then again Lowrance lets you use a regular SD card which is a lot cheaper anyway. I don't really mind having to get a Zero Lines card to much though. Especially considering I can make private contour maps live on the water on a HB for free.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 10:10:16 PM by October1 »

Offline reso

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 06:42:33 AM »
Thats a point, in my case I had a lot of mappings from my 997 on a SD card that I imported to Autochart PC and then could transfer back to the Helix 12.
You could also do that by inserting the old SD card into the Helix and then replay them completely and fill autochart Live with that data, but I find it more convenient to use the PC,also when I want to delete errors in my readings on wavy waters.

So, when money is not an issue, I think with all things said and done, the Solix is preferrable over the Helix, IF you use the Mosaic mapping feature regularly, and I would personally get the PC Autochart software too for convenience.

One other thing I read is that the Solix can record 360 data, I can't do that on my Helix , but then again, it is not something I miss a lot. I use it for finding fish 'live' when I have stopped somewhere and don't bother too much looking afterwards what I missed :))

regards

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo