Author Topic: Visualizing DEPTH from TRACKS in a GIS.  (Read 8415 times)

Offline AFO-IT

• Unit(s): 997c
  • Software: 4.750
Visualizing DEPTH from TRACKS in a GIS.
« on: March 29, 2010, 03:21:12 PM »
Hello,

Anyone using the TRACKS collected in their 997c SI for visualizing "Depth" in a GIS?  If so, I'd like to know how.

I'm trying to use my TRACKS to symbolize with the "Depth" attribute in ArcMap 9.3.1.  The predominate value is "0" for "Depth" in the TRACK records.  There are VERY few records reporting any depth.  So even though I saw the depth on the screen while collecting the entire TRACK, and it appeared accurate, why does not every TRACK record have a value in my downloaded TRACK log?

The steps I've taken are to download the data from the unit to an SD card (NMEA is "ON").  I then upload from the SD card into HumminbirdPC, but the "Depth" field for each track record is mostly "0".  The track records that are not "0" do not appear accurate, and also appear at the end of the track log.  Why would this be?  Should not the TRACK Log have a recorded (and hopefully valid) depth for each TRACK record?

Anyway, to finish the process, I save as a .gpx using HumminbirdPC.  From there I use DNRGarmin to convert the .gpx to an ESRI Shapefile.  I can view the data (point or line) in ArcMap, but the depth attribute is null.

Any help will be appreciated.  However, I found this same problem in a post to this forum last May ... it had no replies.  :o

Jim

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
Re: Visualizing DEPTH from TRACKS in a GIS.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 03:56:35 PM »
I am not sure but to start a guess..... and this came from another device.  Depth is only part of a record.  Depending on time and ping rate you could have "0" depth reported. Not quite sure how nema bands the data but I brought a file up in humviewer and then exported to .csv.....the data showed depth for every position.  could be a nema data sequence.    chuck

Offline AFO-IT

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 05:47:28 PM »
I downloaded Humviewer earlier and it appeared to only open a particular file.  Something like .dat or something.  Is that true?  If that's the case, nothing that was on the SD card could be uploaded into Humviewer.

Seems like user help is lacking for that program?

Jim

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 06:00:46 PM »
Jim,

The .dat file is the main waypoint and information file for the .SON files.  Did you copy the files over to your hard drive?  You need to keep them in the same order they are in on the SD card.

On the SD card you should go in the RECORD folder and copy the following:
R000??.DAT and its corresponding folder R000??.  The folder should have 6 or 8 files depending on if you had the 50/83khz sonar turned on.  All of these files need to be in the R000?? folder.

Hope this helps.

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 06:52:40 PM »
check out t......he reference in the FAQ's  copy sd to .....
http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=937.0

Chuck

Offline Chiboo

• SpearFishing
  • Unit(s): Solix 10 MSI+ G3
  • Software: 4.130
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 08:58:09 PM »
Hi
Depth did not register in track in early versions of HB firmware, sometimes on the big speeds of movement there is "failure" of the data because of aeration tducer. How for a long time you updated firmware? Probably you look through tracks written down before updating firmware? (NMEA is "ON") - influences only data transmission inclusion on external contacts COM of fishfinder. At preservation of an active track co-ordinates and depth register GPS. At data recording inclusion on SD on Flash all data (NMEA, 83KHz, 200Khz, 455KHz, 800Khz depending on what frequency is ON in the record moment) save completely. At converting Hummviwer of the data in csv  format you have the text data - lat, lon, depth. For GIS it is enough systems of it for rendering 3D, for example MapInfo with module VerticalMapper.

Offline AFO-IT

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 09:46:42 AM »
Thank you guys for the replies.

Here's what I've gathered so far ...

The biologist in the field, who collected the data, did try to maintain a slow steady pace when collecting.  If "Record" has to be enabled before sonar data is saved, then he did not do that.  That explains why no .dat, .sor, or Record folder, and why Hummviewer didn't amaze me.  ;)

The unit shipped with v4.570.  That's what we used.  I upgraded to 4.750 yesterday.

It might be possible that there is still too much disturbance around the receiver, causing data drop or interruption.  This could explain why values are only present at the end of the collection, i.e. slowing to load onto trailer.

Looks like we need to practice our methods of collection, inspect mounting location of the transducer, and become more familiar with the operation of the unit.

I do have one more question about data transfer.  Seems like we should be able to get by with transferring data to an SD card.  Any size recommended?  Any size restrictions with this unit?

Also, the manual talks about connecting directly to a PC during collection using Hyperterminal.  When is that necessary, or is it?

Once again, thanks for the help.  We'll appreciate any pointers.

Jim

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 10:19:37 AM »
I do have one more question about data transfer.  Seems like we should be able to get by with transferring data to an SD card.  Any size recommended?  Any size restrictions with this unit?
Once again, thanks for the help.  We'll appreciate any pointers.

Jim

I dont think I would go over 4 GB  and for recordings maybe not more than 30 minutes at a time.  Large recorded files are bulky and slow to load in viewers. You might consider several 2 GB cards.  SD are not very expensive today.
You might consider setting up a naming convention on your computer to place the recorded file into so that you can maintain an organized DB of records.  See the linked topic. 
http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=937.0
Chuck
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 10:21:23 AM by sonar2000 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo