Author Topic: New User-Various questions  (Read 3186 times)

Offline avetjx

• Unit(s): helix 10 si, helix 9 d
  • Software: 1.150
New User-Various questions
« on: April 22, 2016, 11:50:25 AM »
Good day,

Recently bought a used sea hunt bay boat that has a helix 10si and a helix 9 di networked together. I added a navionics platinum plus card to the helix 10 and enabled the cool mapping features it has. I have a couple of newbie questions that it would be great to get clarification on. Thanks in advance for your replies.

1. Both units have software version 1.150. To update these units, is there a proper order? i.e, 10 powered up, updated, then turned off before I do the helix 9 or both powered up and updated at the same time, etc?

2. Has anyone had issues with v1.210?

3. It appears that auto-routing is not supported on the 9/10? Can someone confirm? Do we know if they are looking at supporting it in the future?

4. Used to own a lowrance unit and when I set a route if there was land in the way such as when hopping from cove to cove it would show the route over land instead of giving me a route that was water only. Is this the case with these units?

5. I have a motorguide xi5 gps trolling motor. What would be the best way to set an alarm for when I'm using the "anchor" function so I can hear if I'm coming too far off the anchor point?

6. Looks like I have to have the navionics card inserted in the helix 10 to see the advanced cartography, i.e, it doesn't load locally. Subsequently if I want the platinum maps on the 9 I would have to move the card. Can I simply copy the navionics card onto another SD card so I can have it on both?

That does it for now but I'm sure I will have more questions in the coming weeks. Thanks again.

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Re: New User-Various questions
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 01:17:31 PM »
See my answers below in blue ...

Good day,

Recently bought a used sea hunt bay boat that has a helix 10si and a helix 9 di networked together. I added a navionics platinum plus card to the helix 10 and enabled the cool mapping features it has. I have a couple of newbie questions that it would be great to get clarification on. Thanks in advance for your replies.

1. Both units have software version 1.150. To update these units, is there a proper order? i.e, 10 powered up, updated, then turned off before I do the helix 9 or both powered up and updated at the same time, etc?

It is safer to update each unit individually with the Ethernet disconnected ...:

*Disconnect Ethernet ...
*Power on unit ...
*Export Nav data to SD Card for safe hard copy backup ...
*Remove SD Card with Nav data ...
*Restore defaults ...
*Insert SD Card with proper update .bin file ...(nothing else on but the .bin file on the card) ...
*Answer "Yes" to "Do you want to update" ...
*Answer "No" to "Do you want to abort update" ...
*Wait for unit to restart and show "Update Successful" ...
*Remove SD Card with proper update .bin file ...
*Restore Defaults ...

It's a good idea to run your hard copy Nav data thru Humminbird PC before loading back into the unit to check for corrupt Waypoints ... Look for dates out of range or duplicate Waypoints and delete ...

2. Has anyone had issues with v1.210?

There are reports that the Fish ID feature is still not acting correctly and some issues with digital depth in shallow water over hard bottoms causing some issues with AutoChart live getting confused with the erratic depth readings ... It is being recommended to use Switchfire Clear and reduce 2d Sensitivity when mapping with AutoChart live with erratic depth readings ...

3. It appears that auto-routing is not supported on the 9/10? Can someone confirm? Do we know if they are looking at supporting it in the future?

This one I do not know

4. Used to own a lowrance unit and when I set a route if there was land in the way such as when hopping from cove to cove it would show the route over land instead of giving me a route that was water only. Is this the case with these units?

A Route is a pre-planned group of Waypoints to be reached in succession when on the water ... If the Waypoints created in the Route are, in fact, on the water ... and there is no land between any 2 successive Waypoints in the pre-planned Route = the planned Route will always be on the water ... The Route line is a straight line between successive Waypoints ... If there is land between any 2 successive waypoints in the planned Route = the Route line will show over land ...

5. I have a motorguide xi5 gps trolling motor. What would be the best way to set an alarm for when I'm using the "anchor" function so I can hear if I'm coming too far off the anchor point?

There is a "Drift Alarm" under the "Alarms" tab that can be set from 25-3000ft that will give an alarm if the boat drifts out of the selected perimeter ...

6. Looks like I have to have the navionics card inserted in the helix 10 to see the advanced cartography, i.e, it doesn't load locally. Subsequently if I want the platinum maps on the 9 I would have to move the card. Can I simply copy the navionics card onto another SD card so I can have it on both?

Map card companies encrypt their map cards so the data cannot be copied to another card (they want you buy 2 cards) ... ONIX can share mapping across Ethernet ... HELIX cannot ...

That does it for now but I'm sure I will have more questions in the coming weeks. Thanks again.

Rickie
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 01:20:21 PM by rnvinc »

Offline avetjx

• Unit(s): helix 10 si, helix 9 d
  • Software: 1.150
Re: New User-Various questions
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 04:00:51 PM »
Rickie,

Thanks very much for the thorough replies.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo