Author Topic: New Unit (Great already problems!)  (Read 12505 times)

Offline xd35

• Unit(s): 798si/1197si
New Unit (Great already problems!)
« on: March 15, 2010, 08:12:13 PM »
Finally got my new 798 mounted and to the lake today for testing of transducer placement.  first 5 minutes Problems, Pulling up to dock to pick up son, unit shuts down WTF!  Turned back on, good readings, pull away from dock cruising along 5MPH great side imaging.  Hit menu key unit shuts down! WTF!  Battery unit OK 13.5V.  Now I am a little irritated.  Turned backk on everything OK for 24 minutes.  I even left main engine running just in case, although I know it was not the battery.  I have the unit running off the breaker board just as I had my Lowarance units for 18 years. For the next hour every 15-20 minutes the unit would just shut off.  Finally after that I had enough.  Time for a wide open run to see if transducer looses bottom.  Running top end, good bottom readings.  Then, the screen locks up.  I hit power button to restart, it won't do anything, it's froze.

Ok, now when IT DID WORK, I had excellent Si/Di/ and other readings.  So what is going on with this power thing.  I know it's not the main engine battery. I also turned off all the low battery alarms. 

When it worked, the images was truely remarkable, but it does have to stay in the on mode!
Anyone have ideas as to problem before I box this thing up and ship it south.  I am also expecting a new 1197si unit with my other boat at the end of the month. 

I am using Stock mount/hardware for the unit.

HDSI transducer

Yes I have the latest update on the unit.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 08:13:26 PM by xd35 »

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
Re: New Unit (Great already problems!)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 08:29:11 PM »
I had the same problem with with my 785c2!  Hopefully its just a loose power cord or the pins are loose. 

Go back and check all your connections, fuses, etc.  If you disconnect the unit from the head (or disconnect the power if you have it flush mounted.) and put it back on, will it power back up?

My problem was the pins on the power cord.  If you bend them slightly outward, the connector will fit tighter.  Please be carefull when bending the pins so you dont break them!

Good Luck and let me know if that helps.

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline xd35

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 08:38:44 PM »
Ok,

That makes sense.   ???

BUT would that cause the screen to freeze showing readings.  It did not clear itself until I removed from the mount. Then it shut off.  I placed back on, powered up.  I have three new power cords since I plan to run this unit as well as my 1197 on both my boats. I was kinda of wondering why hummingbird made this type slide connection vs a lock type connector. These connectors slide on/off way to easy in my opinion.

I will post pick of my transducer location on my V-Hull  boat as soon as I figure out that piece.

Also note, I have a 1amp fuze placed on power cord as well.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 09:07:12 PM by xd35 »

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 09:45:06 PM »
Not sure, but I know the 900 series units require a 3 amp fuse.  I believe the 700 series SI units can also draw over 1amp at startup.

Maybe Greg or some of the other guys can chime in, but I would probably put a bigger fuse in.  I don't necessarily think thats your problem though.

I would still put my money on the power cable and pins for now!

How do you have the unit installed?  Flush mount or on the quick disconnect mount?

Robert

Offline xd35

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 10:00:59 PM »
Quick disconnect that came with unit.  Waiting on ram mount so I used stock HB mount. I been running unit for past hour now off my one amp power converter in house on demo mode, no problems at all.  Has to be that quick connect.  I actually thought of that and tried wiggling unit while on the water but did not effect power at all.  This was just before it shut down again on its own 5 minutes later. Will try moving pins in power cord tomorrow and let her run in demo mode to see if it shuts down while on boat.

Thanks

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 11:32:38 AM »
I would also check the parts that hold the connectors in place on the unit mount.  There are called the connector collector and I have seen where the metal part will be slightly unbent and not allow the power cable to fully engage to the unit connectors.  When the power cable is in the mount you should not be able to press it downwards with your finger.  The connector collector parts should hold it secure and flush with the top of the plastic part.

After checking the above and slightly bending the pins of the power cable test the unit on your boat again.  If this still happens I would try it again but with the motor off and the boat drifting as it could still be a loose connection in your boat wiring or an over or under voltage spike coming from the motor (these are often so fast that unless you have a fast oscilloscope you will not see them).

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline xd35

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 12:21:10 PM »
Thanks Greg

Since power cord is running from the fuze block I would think any surges would be blocked, at least to the point of high levels. Another reason I put a 1 amp in-line fuse. Now running unit directly from battery would make sense with surges as this is where I would think the power spikes from alternator directly feeding into the battery/unit connectors. I hope it's just the power connector since I been running three eagle units on same rig without any problems.  The highest unit showed with motor running was 14.5V lowest was 13.4v. My understanding of the spikes is 20V and above.

Pretty sure it will end up being the connector ends. I have experianced the power connector problem off the boat as well while playing with unit in demo mode.  Seems like if you move that power cable the slightest it will kill the power. Will try bending pins inward to ride tighter along the sleeve wall.

Will let you know.

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
  • Unit(s): HELIX 9 G3N, 998Cx SI, 959DI
  • Software: latest (mostly)
  • Accessories: AS GR50, custom towfish and: A boat!!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 02:28:11 PM »
Exactly what I have experienced with my 981 last year XD35!
Same symptoms with freezing up and turning off.
I sent the unit back and it was checked by HB UK. They couldn't find anything and sent it back.

I checked the wiring, cables and connectors and found nothing wrong there. In the end it turned out that my battery had a bad cell. Bought a new battery and everything worked fine again ever since.

The voltage always showed 13,6 V when the motor was running, but I was told that this is just the voltage that the alternator delivers to load the batteries. Don't ask me how this works in details.

I recommend to check your battery's capacity under tension. If you just check the voltage with an multimeter it shows the current voltage of the battery, but doesn't tell you if the battery delivers enough juice if other users are switched on.

My 2 cents. Good luck / Harry
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 07:46:41 PM by Jolly Roger »
YES,......
WE SCAN!

Offline xd35

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 03:12:27 PM »
Thanks,

I thought i remembered someone having similar problem.  I think I will throw a new battery in as well.  :P

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 04:47:24 PM »
Batteries are funny pieces of equipment.  The cells are somewhat independent of each other but connected in series. Weak cells can have different effects on amperage. Voltage can remain within acceptable levels but the battery cant flow the amps.  (those little things that make electrical energy). Battery volts are called a potential of energy but do not cause amp flow.  We often end up having to trace wiring, check connections, and say bad words.  And in the end replace the battery.  there are testors for batteries  usually at car shops or batter/starter shops that can test a battery under a load. this is when the battery will show its true ability. Volt meters measure static level but does not "load" the battery to see if it can produce amps. Before you purchase a new battery have the old one checked.    Chuck

Offline Singleshot

• Unit(s): 798c Si
  • Software: 4.780
  • Accessories: n/a
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 01:07:38 PM »
Always a good Idea to have an Battery hydrometer to check each cell.  Temperature compinsating ones are not that expensive.  You can tell the statu :)s of each cell.  Again just a first step, testing with a load is the real deal.

JK
To ignore the facts does not change the facts.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 01:53:59 PM »
we used to check acid level but todays batteries are becoming environmental sensitive and sealed.  And you are so right, nothing like a good old load tester.  chuck

Offline xd35

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 08:02:32 PM »
Had the battery tested at parts store.  It not a cheap battery, its one of those 170 dollar optima series. Battery tested out as good.

Came home and bent the power pins slightly inward to ride tighter along the wall.  Place unit on boat and ran in demo mode for 30 minutes without any power loss.  Even tried bumping and turning while in holder, good to go.  The real test will be on the water tomorrow though.  :P 

Hope to have some recordings and snapshots.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 08:03:37 PM by xd35 »

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 08:12:59 PM »
OK sounds like progress.   at least you may not have to send it back.  take some pictures and post for us.   chuck

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
  • Unit(s): HELIX 9 G3N, 998Cx SI, 959DI
  • Software: latest (mostly)
  • Accessories: AS GR50, custom towfish and: A boat!!
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 08:27:17 PM »
Sounds good then XD.
We'll keep our fingers crossed!

Regards / Harry
YES,......
WE SCAN!

Offline xd35

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 08:23:59 PM »
All I can say is sweeeet!  8)

I cannot wait to get my hands on my new 1197 at the end of the month.  :P

Absolutely no problems today on the water.  This little unit is da bomb! After marking fish that was easily standing out on structure, the reel started singing.  Walla!

Thanks to everyones help.

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 08:33:02 PM »
So, it was the pins!  Maybe Greg will make note of this and pass it up the line.  You are not the only one to have this problem!

Glad you got it fixed! Good luck and I look forward to seeing some snapshots!

Robert
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 08:59:55 PM by RGecy »

Offline xd35

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 09:11:28 PM »
They do not mate tightly together. All they would really need to do is enlarge the pins in the power cord. ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo