Author Topic: 997CSI rebooting on its own (restarting while in regular operation and simul.)  (Read 17518 times)

Offline Mark Saikaley

• Unit(s): Helix12MegSI 3GN
  • Accessories: I-PilotLink,digitrol 5
Ive enjoyed several yrs with my 997CSI side and down imagine unit. On the water this weekend the unit started restarting or rebooting while in operation.  The problem started to occur more frequently.

I tried it today on dryland using simulation mode. Strong battery checked all connections. Even tried jiggling connections but that would not cause the system to reboot.  as the boat is sitting in a trailer in my driveway its pretty stable. However the unit would randomly restart. It even occurred when not touching the unit, but most of the time I was going through the views and trying some setting but it doesn't seem to matter as far as whatever is triggering the restarts. ie the unit just resets as though someone pressed restart but power does not appear to be lost.

Anyone encounter this and know what I can do about it?

AS the warranty is long expired what do you think it would cost to get it serviced or an estimate if I need a repair? IT has the 6.3 update which has been installed for a few years now

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
I think 6.300 may be the latest version for the 997 (you can verify this by logging in to your HB account and clicking on your unit under your profile) ...

Here are a few things you can try ...:

*Restore Defaults under the Setup tab ...
*Remove map cards and test ...
*Make "Hidden" the "Bird's Eye" view under the Views tab ...
*Clear "Current Track" under the Nav tab ...
*Test with just a power cable and a battery right at the head unit (eliminating your boat's wiring possibilities) ...

Rickie

Offline Mark Saikaley

Thanks
Here is what happened today regarding troubleshooting

First. yes 6.3 is the latest update. They have not updated the software in a couple years and I think they have stopped with updates for this model
I had restored defaults prior to the post. Had tried it on the water in fact when the problem started but didn't make a difference. 
Battery is directly wired on the boat to the battery with the fuse. I installed the unit this way from purchase (heat shrunk and soldered connections as per all my boat installations)
Cleared track on the water as well
Have not removed map card yet
today with above already in place, I started my unit is simulation mode and it self rebooted almost right away. and again shortly after.

I removed my storage memory card which is in the slot to the right but didn't remove the map card. I played with the unit for sometime both in simulation mode and in normal mode (on dryland) and the unit never failed. I replaced the memory card and still could not reproduce the problem, I cleared most of the data off my memory card (unintentionally actually as I was just intending to delete some snapshots and during this repetitive process I was careless and selected delete all lol)
unit still functioned without restarting

So at this point the problem seems resolved without having clearly identified the problem but it seems to have something to do with the removal and reinsertion of the memory card (even though I had done this several times prior to no avail) Will remain to be seen if I just got lucky in that it didn't reboot for 15 minutes of use.

You mentioned something I will check next time that may be the issue if its still occurring. You talked about disabling the birds eye view. Now that you mention that, I had enabled my birds eye view either the day of the problem or the outing prior. This problem started not long after having enabled the view. The only two things I had done out of the ordinary was enabling the birds eye view and then changing the output readings (ie displaying the time) it was shortly after that as well as reinserting the memory card) that I started having problems

So it does seem that its either one of or a combination of (birds eye view, changing display readings, memory card),

right now its not rebooting so I probably wont touche anything but if it does reboot again I will disable the birds eye view as the first next test

thanks very much for the suggestions

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Keep us updated ...

Note: Most of the items I listed are not documented proven scenarios that cause problems ...(and the items are definitely not re-create-able by HB techs)...

But the items have "cured" (or seem to cure) some weird anomalies over the years that we've been monitoring the forums ...

Rickie

Offline Mark Saikaley

The problem has not occurred again . I used the sonar 2 days in a row for at least 5 - 7 hrs continuous use in 32 Celcius plus weather and worked like new. It seems it had something to to with the SD Card or the slot or perhaps some moisture or a combination. I was continuing to us the same map card and storage. Only thing I had done was remove and re -insert/ I dont believe clearing it was part of the solution since it have stopped rebooting before it. So can't say for certain what resolved the problem.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo