Author Topic: Getting started with Routes  (Read 6288 times)

BrazosRiverTom

Getting started with Routes
« on: March 10, 2015, 03:34:54 PM »
Maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I have watched Doug's video's and read the manual, 3 times and the waypoint guide too.  Then I go out on the lake, marked some waypoints and guess what, no route when I got home.  I am missing something simple I am sure. The book says, you can save route while navigating or create a new one.  I never saw the menu screen that said save current route.  And how can I have a current route if I never even created a new one.  I tried creating a new one here at the house then I told the unit GOTO and it sure did right over land to the next waypoint instead of staying on the water.  This is kinda confusing.  I also named my Group Home area PK for the lake near my home when I got home that was no longer on the card, do not know how I deleted that while on the water. I am just learning this and gps. Is there an easy way to understand this or am I missing how to get started doing this in the manual.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: Getting started with Routes
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 04:16:48 PM »
You have to tell the unit what waypoints to use in your route.  You can make a route two ways as the manual says.  Go under the Nav menu tab and select the Waypoints, Routes, Tracks menu and use the right arrow key to open the menu.  Use the Up arrow key to get to the Options menu and open it.  Select New then New Route and name the route.  When done with that you will go to the Plan Route menu and start selecting waypoints.  Don’t forget to save it when you are done.  The way to make a route ‘on the fly’ is to move the cursor when on the Chart View, to a location or a waypoint you already have marked and then use the GOTO button.  Select additional waypoints until you have your route constructed, then go to the Xpress menu on the Chart View and select Save Current Route.

You can also make a route in the HumminbirdPC program.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

BrazosRiverTom

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 04:29:17 PM »
Thanks Greg, I printed your answer out and will take it with me on the lake. I also take the printed manual and waypoint guide with me in a notebook along with some other notes on setting the unit up, etc. The weather has been lousy here for last 3 weeks and should improve later this week, that should give me more time on the lake, to either start comprehending what I am doing, or become more totally confused.
So far I have only had less than 4 hours and that was hanging out in the marina where the wind was not so bad.

BrazosRiverTom

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 09:02:55 PM »
Okay I did the trick of adding a waypoint, then added another then press the goto key. I kept moving the cursor way out and kept making way points so I would have a route. After and hour and half, I went to look at the route, guess what, still no route, just lots of waypoints. I know I am not understanding this. So I ended up creating a new route then adding in all the waypoints one at a time. Then I had a route made up. This is really not fun making routes.  I saved all my tracks too.  Can I tell the machine to following my previous track, and use that as route and forget the waypoints. Only use them for anything interesting I find.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 10:05:55 AM »
No, the unit cannot follow a track, only a route.
When you used the cursor and GOTO button to make your route, did you also use the Save Current Route menu option when you added your last waypoint?
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

BrazosRiverTom

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 10:28:39 AM »
no I did not use the save current route will look for that next time I go out. Thanks again for the advise.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo