Author Topic: 797 c2 si - Screen Malfunction  (Read 3561 times)

Offline rfdfirecaptain

• Unit(s): 797 C2 SI
  • Accessories: GPS, Linked to MMSI capable Marine Radio
797 c2 si - Screen Malfunction
« on: October 18, 2014, 05:54:07 PM »
I have a 797 C2 SI unit that is 5 years old.  Suddenly it started acting up today.  When powered on 90% of the screen from the center outward is washed out in a white color, creating a halo effect from the normal color (deep aqua blue) on the outer edges of the screen.  Occasionally when we were at anchor or drifting the unit would power on normally, then after we stated moving it would shut itself off.  Sometimes it will allow me to immediately power it back on, but it's a crap shot as to whether or not the screen will display normally or with the halo effect.  Eventually the unit would not allow me to power it back on.  So, I spent an hour fooling with it before I decided to remove it from the pedestal and remount it.  It did power back on, but the halo was still there.

Batteries are not a problem as 2 brand new batteries were installed on the same day this problem started occurring.  I have not been able to assess the connectivity of the power and ground wire connections yet. 

Immediate and all help is appreciated as I have a trip planned this week and I will need the chartplotter to navigate.  I called Hummminbird today just to check the time they open Monday morning, so I could get technical support.  Just my luck!!!  They are closed for the next two (2) business days for employee training.  smh!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 08:17:25 PM by rfdfirecaptain »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: 797 c2 si - Screen Malfunction
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 08:42:29 AM »
Okay, you may have one or two different problems here: either the unit is fogging and it has a power issue or there is liquid water inside of it that is causing both.
If it is the later, about the only thing that you could try and do is dry it out be placing it in a sealed container and raising the temperature in the hope that the water will evaporate and the unit will start working again.  I suggest using some sort of drying agent in the sealed container (desiccant packs) and using the sun to heat it.  You don’t want to overheat nor melt the LCD, other electrical components or plastics of the unit.  Opening the card reader door will help with this.

If this is fogging (condensation) on the inside of the lens of the unit you can try the same deal with trying to dry the unit out.  When you get it back on the boat try letting it run with the backlight on high (10) for a few hours to help warm the inside of the lens of the unit.  Check all of your electrical wiring connections between the unit and the battery it is powered from.  No loose or corroded connections (I prefer all connections be soldered and sealed) and don’t forget to check the fuse, fuse holder and battery contacts as these are often overlooked.  As a last resort; try very, very gently bending the pins of the power cable away from each other.  You need to bend them so little that you may not be able to see that they are bent.  Please be sure to unplug the power cable from the battery when doing this.

Almost forgot: welcome to the Humminbird Side Imaging Forums rfdfirecaptian!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:43:40 AM by Humminbird_Greg »
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline sfw1960

• Bringer Of The 'Bird
    • http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/member.php?u=3330
  • Unit(s): H10MSI G2N-H10MDI G2N-H12SI-H12MSI G2N
  • Software: v1.840 x 3, v1.830
  • Accessories: AS GPS HS x2, I-Pilot Link, RC-1, RC-2
Re: 797 c2 si - Screen Malfunction
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 10:12:26 PM »
Good advice!
Looks like fogging to me, I went for a "swim" off the dock in Muskegon Lake last Novemeber (lost my balance standing on the dock) and "tested" the IDI Gear Arctic Armor I was wearing!
I didn't mean to test the Samsung SCH-U660 cell phone  in my front pocket!!!!
I pulled the battery as fast as I got on shore & out of my wet clothing (well down to pants & shirt) and when I got it home I put it in a bag of rice and kept it on the heater register for 4 days.
I am still using that goofy phone today!  >:D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo