Author Topic: How to Record Sonar Tracks for input to Navionics Freshest  (Read 4274 times)

Offline rpmjr

• Unit(s): 998c
  • Software: 7.090
OK guys got some info to share, Ive been struggling with how to record, store, download and transfer data to Navionics.

Turned in ticket yesterday to Navionics, got email this morning, with remote computer program so they could look into my computer with me and a rep from Italy working with me.

Bottom line is im not even recording tracks for input correctly.  Ive been all over the Navionics website trying to find info with no success(like MT Bob posts), but tech gave me the following link so I wanted to share with you all.

http://www.navionics.com/en/plotter-tutorial/humminbird

Its a Sonar log recording tutorials - Humminbird  for pretty much all models that I can see.

good luck

Offline MTBob

• MTBob
  • Unit(s): HB 998c
Re: How to Record Sonar Tracks for input to Navionics Freshest
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 02:48:16 PM »
rpmjr: This is very helpful, Navionics' instructions seem clear.  I have a couple of questions:
- When making recordings does the boat need to move across a body of water in a regulated weave pattern, or some kind of interval that assures that an entire area of the bottom is "pinged"?  Or can the track be an erratic informal route & wanderings (what my tracks usually look like)?
- Will Navionics accept uploads of a portion of a body of water and post those in their maps, or wait until an entire lake is covered?
Thanks for your posting about this.
MTBob

Offline FlyFisher SLC

• Unit(s): 798ci hd si
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 11:33:51 PM »
I've uploaded recordings on 3 new lakes covering anywhere from 10% to 70% of the lake area following no particular pattern other than where I was fishing.  Navionics accepted the uploads and these areas are now included in Freshest Data.  You gotta start somewhere, and I hope if I don't get back to these lakes, seeing them partially covered on the Navionics web app will encourage someone else to contribute.

This weekend I'll be hitting my favorite high-mountain lake for the first time this year, and I intend to record as much of it as possible and to keep hitting it throughout the summer until I've covered the entire lake (approx. 1x1 miles).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 09:23:11 AM by FlyFisher SLC »

Offline rpmjr

• Unit(s): 998c
  • Software: 7.090
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 11:58:02 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experience Fly, how long after you uploaded data did u see it show up on your charts?

Offline FlyFisher SLC

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 09:31:54 AM »
Anywhere from a few days to one to two weeks (I assume it depends on how many uploads they are processing).  Navionics will send you an email that they received your data and that it is valid and then they send you an email saying the data is posted and include a .kmz file of your sonar track that you can view in Google Earth.

Attached is a lake I did in April that was half covered in ice.  You can see they extrapolate data to create the edge (assumed shoreline) of your sonar scan -- so while the west end appears to shallow up in the middle of the lake, it was really about 35' as I was trolling right along the edge of the ice.

Need to get back and finish covering the lake.  Still, the sonar data for the east end is quite accurate (you can see where the old stream bed runs through the bottom) and is where most of the fish hang out.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 03:12:55 PM by FlyFisher SLC »

Offline FlyFisher SLC

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 03:07:40 PM »
On Sat. I recorded sonar tracks on a new lake in Utah's Uinta mountains.  Uploaded tracks and received following email this morning.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for uploading your sonar logs.

We have analyzed 8 logs you uploaded on July 13, 2014.  We are in process of mapping/updating the coastline of the area with your uploaded sonar logs.

Your sonar logs will be saved, and in the event that it/they can be used in the future, you will be notified.
For more information about SonarCharts™, Click here.  Find attached a Google Earth file with details regarding the status of your logs.
Sincerely,
Navionics.

Below is .kmz file sent by Navionics showing my tracks.  Should result in fairly detailed sonar data for lake not previously covered by Navionics.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 03:12:12 PM by FlyFisher SLC »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo