Author Topic: New 899 - Which Transducer and where  (Read 5961 times)

Offline angler1

• Unit(s): 899 ci HD SI
New 899 - Which Transducer and where
« on: March 03, 2014, 08:09:25 PM »
Hello.  New to the forum and new to my new 899 which is not installed yet.  Of course, I have to update the transducer now that I see it did not come with the XHS 9 HDSI T (which I think was standard on the 898).  However, I am considering using one of the through hull transducers instead.  I have some questions and wouldn't mind getting some mounting feedback from you all with experience already.

First question, if I used a through hull transducer, which one for my 899?  The XPTH 14 20 HDSI T or the XPTH 9 HDSI 180 T or which other one?  Not sure what the degrees mean yet.  Do understand kHz. 

Second question, where do you think I should mount it? This is my first post here, so I think I am attaching a picture correctly.  If I do a through hull, I circled two areas I'm considering.  My boat has a step as you see that is about 7-1/2" in/deep.  This is a center console Hurricane deck boat rigged for fishing.  I hop lakes in the spring but I also have a slip and leave it in a river Marina for a few months on an off in the season.  Some times debris accumulates behind my boat (I back into my slip, bow up river) and the debris often pushed my old/wimpy transducer up as the boat bobs up and down.

I'm considering a through hull to tuck it under this step.  The first location I'm considering is to the right, towards where my current transducer is.  I would try mount it (correctly) so that much of the transducer is splitting the water line, so that it is still in the water on plane.  However, it would also be in the line of debris coming under my boat in the slip.  And if I load it crooked, a bunk could get dangerously close.

The second location is tucked up center of the boat, above the drain plug.  In this case, it may not be in the water on plane, and I would probably also add the splitter and a shoot through hull 2d transducer for on plane readings.  Can anyone give me feedback on these two locations and let me know what they think a nice set up will be?  If the transducer is center, directly in front the engine lower unit, will that cause issues? 

Why not the XHS 9 HDSI 180 T on the outside? - because my boat does not have a jack plate and trimmed down, the lower end looks like it will be in the path of the transducer.  I want this to work well in all conditions.

Finally, deviating a little, when I remove the old transducer and keepers...would marine tex..ing up the old holes be sufficient, 5200, or mix up some resin and gel? 

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: New 899 - Which Transducer and where
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 11:07:29 AM »
Welcome to the Humminbird Side Imaging Forums angler1.  Not a lot of help on this one but I do have some info:

The XPTH-14-20-HDSi-T transducer is for the ONIX and ION model units (different connector on it).

For a Through Hull Si transducer for your 899ci HD Si unit you should look at the XPTH-9-HDSi-180-T transducer.

Through Hull transducers are not recommended for trailer boats as they can become damaged if your boat does not load correctly.

The XPTH-9-HDSi-180-T transducer is 6” long and should fit under that 7 ˝” step but I don’t know if there will be room for the mounting stem on the inside of the boat.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline angler1

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 02:25:35 PM »
Thank you Greg.  I thought that was the tranducer I would need, but wasn't sure the difference between them.

The boat is in my back yard covered tightly right now, so you are correct, I'm not sure what I got on the other side of that step yet.

Assuming it worked, would putting it dead center in front of the engine (under the drain plug) work?  Or would there be too much turbulance there from the prop "sucking" water over it?   And I guess it may also be out of the water on plane there?

It looks like a nice "clean" spot for it, protected up in that step, so this location is interesting me.

Anyone have feedback on this location?

Thanks

Offline bgump24

• Unit(s): 899 SI
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 02:32:52 PM »
I didn't think you could use a through hull transducer on si unit

Offline angler1

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 03:05:23 PM »
Yes bgump24, there are several SI through hull's available.  You might be thinking a "shoot through hull".

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 03:49:10 PM »
angler1 is right.
Shoot Thru-Hull (aka; inside-the-hull) gets epoxied in side of the hull of the boat.
Through-Hull gets mounted underneath on the outside of the hull via a hole in the hull.

Mounting a transducer in front of the prop can cause problems but not with the water flowing across the transducer.  The problems I have heard have been one of two varieties that happen only at high boat speeds as a cavitation bubble forms just aft of the transducer which causes a loss of water at the water intake (not good) or at the propeller which will cause it to slip or spin out (over rev the motor).  Problem is; you never know if it will happen until you mount the transducer and take it for a test drive…  I would find out if someone else with the same hull has successfully tried the same thing.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline angler1

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 05:04:09 PM »
Thanks Greg,

So I guess you are saying that center of the boat should be fine.  Directly in front of the lower unit/prop should be fine.  The only risk you see is that the tranducer itself throws cavatation bubbles into the lower unit. 

I will put a post on the manufacturers site and see if I can find anyone who may have done this.

Thank you for you thoughts on this.  Nice to analyze this stuff with someone who cares.  When I ask my wife where she thinks I should mount it...she just stares at me with a blank look on her face.

Thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo