Author Topic: Duplicated Waypoints  (Read 5252 times)

Offline fishesman

• Unit(s): 998C
Duplicated Waypoints
« on: August 17, 2013, 07:00:21 PM »
I downloaded all of my waypoints off my 998c using an SD card and cleaned them up using HumminbirdPC 4.3.8. I assigned names to many of the points, deleted a few unused points, etc. I then uploaded all of the waypoints back to the same card and chose the "replace contents" option. After I insert the card into the 998 it asks if I want to upload navigation data and I say yes. A second later it tells me that the upload was successful and it tells me how waypoints, tracks, and routes have been uploaded. Everything seems great until I look at the list of waypoints stored on the unit. Many are duplicated, but not all. At first I thought that none of my changes had been incorporated, but then I realized that the new points were hidden behind old ones when looking at the map view. It seems that all of my data is there, but it's not deleting the old data off first. Am I doing something wrong? I thought about wiping all of the waypoints off my 998 and reloading them, but it appears that I'd also have to delete my tracks, which I don't want to do. I thought that this might be a firmware issue, so I uploaded the new version to my unit, but nothing changed. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Offline LittleGazoo

• Unit(s): SOLIX 15 G2, SOLIX 12 G2
  • Software: 3.640
  • Accessories: Ethernet
Re: Duplicated Waypoints
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 12:14:46 PM »
If you select all & exported, then all waypoints, routes and tracks were saved.  You should be able to see all your waypoints, routes and tracks in HumminbirdPC.  So verify all navdata is in HBPC, then you can select all & delete all your unit's data(or format navigation directory), then reload.

You will need to re-edit any track characteristics.

More info on your situation:
If I save all my unit's navdata onto SD/MMC card, then attempt to reload from it, the unit will inform me 0 waypoints, 0 routes, and 0 tracks and no new data was loaded.

If I took that same SD-card data up into HBPC, and add 1 waypoint, attempt to reload, then my unit will report that 1 waypoint, 0 routes, 0 tracks, 0 groups were loaded.   ONLY NEW DATA is loaded.

So if you wish to change a waypoint or track, then you must delete the old on your unit, then reload the changed waypoint or track from a HBPC,
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 12:22:16 PM by LittleGazoo »

Offline LittleGazoo

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 12:30:06 PM »
Now maybe someone from Humminbird could give some explainations on HBPC's duplicate waypoint handling.

What's the definition of a duplicate waypoint? 
Must name, lat/lon, and date all be identical?

How does HBPC handle duplicates? 
My understanding if HBPC only checks for duplicates when you upload or download the .HWR MATRIX file.  Never in the .GPX file, neither open or close of .GPX file.

Does HBPC inform the user that duplicates or the number of duplicates removed? 
I don't think so.

Offline fishesman

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 02:05:46 PM »
Thanks for the information. Your answer brought up another question. When I download my data and open it up in HBPC there are no tracks or routes, only waypoints (the waypoint folder contains data, but the tracks and routes folders are empty). That's the reason I was hesitant to delete the data off my unit. Am I choosing the wrong option when I upload data from my 998?

Offline LittleGazoo

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 05:17:02 PM »
<menu><menu>
Nav Tab,
Waypoints, Routes, Tracks
Options,
Select All and . . .
Export
This will export your waypoints, routes and "saved tracks".

Same to delete all NAVDATA, except choose Delete instead of Export.
Or
<menu><menu>, Setup Tab, Format NAV directory

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 12:40:30 PM by LittleGazoo »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 04:06:27 PM »
fishesman,
What you should have done is after moving all your waypoints, routes and tracks into HumminbirdPC; you should have deleted all of the Nav Data from your 998 unit.

When you renamed some of the waypoints the unit saw these as being new waypoints and not duplicates.  So to expand on LG’s explanation:

“More info on your situation:
If I save all my unit's navdata onto SD/MMC card, then attempt to reload from it, the unit will inform me 0 waypoints, 0 routes, and 0 tracks and no new data was loaded.

If I took that same SD-card data up into HBPC, and add 1 waypoint, attempt to reload, then my unit will report that 1 waypoint, 0 routes, 0 tracks, 0 groups were loaded.   ONLY NEW DATA is loaded.”

I will add:
If I save all my unit's Nav Data onto an SD/MMC card, rename ten of the waypoints in HumminbirdPC and load them back on the SD/MMC card, the unit will inform me 10 waypoints, 0 routes, and 0 tracks were loaded.

The name and coordinates have to match before the unit will recognize them as duplicate waypoints.  HumminbirdPC does not recognize duplicate waypoints.

If you downloaded your waypoints, the unit should have also downloaded the routes and tracks within the unit.  There is no separate option to just download the waypoints.

If the Route and Track data is not on the SD memory card, I would use a separate memory card and try and perform a “Select All…” then “Export” again and see if the Route and Track data is there or not.  If it is, just copy and paste the Routes and Tracks onto the memory card (using HumminbirdPC) that has the changed Waypoints.  I recommend saving all Nav Data as *.GPX fileson your computer just in case something goes amiss such as what you have been through here or worse.  That way you will always have a good set of data to fall back on.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline fishesman

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 09:37:51 AM »
I think I've resolved all of my issues. Thanks to both of you for the help!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo