Author Topic: Salvaged cars  (Read 6933 times)

Offline Rickard

• Unit(s): 999, 981, M37, LowBird-1, LowBird-2
Salvaged cars
« on: January 07, 2010, 04:15:37 PM »
A few months ago I told the police about seven sunken cars. Five of them have been salvaged.  I thought one of them was more interesting than the others when I saw the photos. They guessed it's an Opel from the 60s...

Added: I did some research on the net and now I'm convinced it's an Opel Rekord P1 which was produced between 1957 and 1960.

Three cars could be identified and were reported as stolen in the beginning of the 90s.

I hope the ice is thick enough this weekend for close video inspection of a car that hasn't been salvaged yet because of it's location.  It must have gone through the ice because there are no roads in the area.

Sidescan image
ila_rendered

Voilá
ila_rendered

I have tried posting images from some salvaged cars several times, but failed. Let's see if it works this time.

First show a VW in a small river at about 4 m depth. Very difficult to get a good sidescan. The car was stolen nearly 20 years ago.
ila_renderedila_rendered

Next is a Mazda in the same river. Also reported stolen in the early 90:s. Difficult to scan.
ila_renderedila_rendered

The police couldn't identify the owner of the following car, but it was reported stolen more than 10 years ago. I think it's an Opel Rekord Berlina.
ila_renderedila_rendered

I think I have showed this car elsewhere. Same river but very easy to scan and identify as a car this time. They couldn't lift the car because it was nearly torn apart so the the work shall be finalized this spring. People who know something about cars have their chance to identify the model  :).
ila_renderedila_rendered

The following two images show two cars which remain to be salvaged. The Coast Guard will get them later when the ice has disappeared. First car rests at 12 m, far from land and must have gone through the ice. I have inspected it with a video camera but it was completely covered with muzzles so I couldn't read the license plate. Visibility was less than 2'!
ila_rendered

Next rests 25 m from the jetty below the old castle Skokloster.
ila_rendered
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 03:06:10 PM by Rickard »

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
Re: Salvaged cars
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 12:46:32 PM »
Good picture(s)   Look at that SI and right on the bottom and below the boat.  Let us know of any additional picts on your other targets.   chuck

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo