Author Topic: Big problem with my unit....  (Read 5358 times)

Offline oklaranger

Big problem with my unit....
« on: October 29, 2012, 02:00:20 PM »
I have a 798 on the bow of my boat.  The problem is when im fishing and want to watch my map, so I can see my contour lines, EVERYTHING is backwards!!
Left is right up is down. If im fishing a point or ledge or bank that I know is on my left, the map shows it on the right side of the screen. It sure makes it hard to follow the contour lines.

My friend that was fishing with me said, your getting to close to this ledge move out a little. I told him I was and told him to come up front and run the trolling motor and check out the finder...he said Man thats showing backwards! Also on this same ledge I set a way point, for a brush pile. Knowing its in front of the boat it shows on the bottom of the screen. And moving the boat froward towards the waypoint, it shows the boat going down on the screen not the top of the screen.

I have had birds for years and love my 1198 at the console, so I know these units well. I went into my settings and made sure it was north up and even restore factory settings but it does the same thing everytime.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: Big problem with my unit....
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 02:11:51 PM »
Any chance of getting a Screen Snapshot of this the next time you go out?

So with the example of the brush pile you marked; was the brush pile north of your position or south of your position?

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline oklaranger

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 02:21:39 PM »
I can try and take a screen shot next time im out.

I was fishing with the boat facing south and the bank/ledge on my left or east. The brushpile/waypoint is in front of me a ways, a little farther south of my current posistion, fishing my way toward the brush pile. The map shows the bank/ledge on the right side of the screen and the waypoint towards the bottom of the screen.

Literally, up is down, down is up, left is right and right is left.

Thanks for the help.

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 02:28:53 PM »
oklaranger

I must have missed something.  I have my 1197 & 1198 so that course is always up and the left side is actually the left side.  I do course is up because I want to be able to follow the contour lines. 

Next time I am out on the water I will check it again, but I do remember actually changing the charts from north up to course up so I could identify with the contour map.

George

Offline oklaranger

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 02:49:02 PM »
I might have my terms incorrect. This has been going on since I bought this new Ranger Z521 and I have quit using my maps because of the backwards mess. 

May be course up or track up, cant remember. But I tried every option.

My 1198 is great and is always showing the right direction and side. This is my second boat with birds and Ive been using them for 4 years or so and this is the only problem ive ever had.

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 10:39:04 AM »

I was fishing with the boat facing south and the bank/ledge on my left or east. The brushpile/waypoint is in front of me a ways, a little farther south of my current posistion, fishing my way toward the brush pile. The map shows the bank/ledge on the right side of the screen and the waypoint towards the bottom of the screen.

This scenario seems to indicate your unit is set to the "North Up" setting....

In the "North Up" setting...:

*The top of the screen is always ......."North".....(on the Earth's surface)
*The right of the screen is always ....."East".......(on the Earth's surface)
*The bottom of the screen is always .."South".....(on the Earth's surface)
*The left of the screen is always ........"West"......(on the Earth's surface)

So if the boat's forward travel is heading south...
"East" (on the Earth's surface) will be on your left...but still shows at the "right" side of the screen..

If you were going to use the "North Up" setting only...you can put stickers on your unit's bezel around the unit's glass screen to indicate north,east,south,west...because in the "North Up" setting....:

North is always at the top..
East is always at the right..
South is always at the bottom..
West is always at the left..

Example in your own scenario...

You knew in your mind that your target waypoint was directly south of your boat's position....
You would need to direct your boat's travel to head in the direction that pointed the boat icon (on the chart view) to the bottom of the glass screen...because...south (on the Earth's surface) is always the bottom of the screen in the "North Up" setting...

Rickie
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 10:53:05 AM by rnvinc »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 01:41:37 PM »

Thanks for the help.

Maybe I am missing it too, but from what you stated here it sounds like the GPS is working correctly (because the waypoint was south of you it should have appeared below the boat icon) but the mapping is inaccurate.  The GPS data (direction the boat is being shown to move) is separate from the mapping data.  The mapping data can be completely wrong yet the unit will show your position correctly according to the latitude/longitude and direction of travel.  Does this happen in more than this one location?

BTW: what version of software are you running in your 798 unit?

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 04:18:13 PM »
oklaranger

It appears to me that it is a set up issue.  I went out today and specifically checked both my 1197 & 1198 and when it is set up so that course is up everything is exactly where it is supposed to be, left is left and right is right.  I set up a split screen with Side Imaging and the Navionic's map showing the contour.  Everything is as it is supposed to be. 

Now  saying that we must realize that we must be moving in a constant direction, if we are drifting and the wind is moving the bow around then all bets are off.  If the boat is not moving in a somewhat straight direction then the GPS cannot be relied upon to give the direction the bow is facing.

Today was a rather nice day, I fished Lake Eufaula from 0830 to 1100 and caught 8 bass, from 1 to 4 1/2 lbs, the largest was a 4 1/2 lb largemouth and followed up by a 4 lb smallmouth in the same area, both spent some air time.  Quite a good day.

George

« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 04:25:28 PM by George »

Offline slackwater

• Unit(s): 798c si
  • Software: 5.4
  • Accessories: sidescan compact transducer
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 05:56:52 AM »
Did you mount the transducer backwards?
I saw one mounted on the stern with the back flat
area of the transducer tight to the transom, and the pointy
end out.