Author Topic: New 898c si will not import routes???  (Read 4832 times)

Offline huntingrev

• Unit(s): 787c2i and 898c si
New 898c si will not import routes???
« on: August 07, 2012, 10:55:19 AM »
First let me THANKS for this forum, there is a lot of useful information here and thanks for any replies.  Notice also this is my very first post so if I am being redundant please forgive me but I could not find the answer and humminbird tech support did not help either.
Now for my question.  I recently upgraded from the 787c2i to the 898c si.  After spending a lot of time trying to correct the dreaded rooster tail (which I finally corrected with a shield over the transducer) I downloaded routes from Standard Mapping Company and this unit only loads the waypoints from the chip, while not recognizing any routes.  I can internally connect waypoints and create routes but cannot download routes from the chip.  The 787 reads and downloads routes from the chip fine while this "upgrade" will not.  I even had the owner of Standard Map Company trying to install these routes on this unit and he failed, and he knows what he is doing.  He installed these routes on all the units for the Bassmasters Classis last year.  My unit is the latest humminbird version with the latest software version.  I cannot imagine humminbird changing their software to not allowing these routes to be imported. My question is:  Am I doing something wrong, or will this unit not allow routes to be imported from chip, or is there a problem with my unit.
Again any advice or help appreciated, I am considering taking this back for a Lowrance but really don't want to do that.  Blessings

« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 10:56:48 AM by huntingrev »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: New 898c si will not import routes???
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 11:25:23 AM »
huntingrev,
I am unfamiliar with any routes from the Standard Mapping Company and so I am just guessing at some things to try here.  To begin with, please explain in a little more detail the process that you or the owner of Standard Mapping Company, have taken to load these Routes.

Are the waypoints for these Routes also on the chip?

Have you tried opening these in HumminbirdPC first and then upload this data to another memory card and load that into your 898 unit?

You stated that the 787c2i unit reads and downloads the routes from the chip fine.  What software version are you running in this unit?

Try performing an Export All Nav Data on the 787c2i unit and then install the same memory card into your 898c Si unit to see if it will load the routes from the 787c2i unit.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline huntingrev

• Unit(s): 787c2i and 898c si
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 12:22:03 PM »
Greg, 
Wow, a fast response thanks!!! 
A little more detail:  Standard Maps are the only maps that gives any useful information (IMO) for the Ms Coastal areas and the La marsh (dont know about any other areas).  The Navionics maps show you running on ground half the time.  Standard Mapping maps are sold in all of the Bass Pro Shops, Academy Sports, Gander Mountain, and all of the other sporting good stores here in the south, in fact they are the only ones available.   Anyway, they produce a GPS Routing System that allows the purchase of a chip with waypoints and routes giving the user safe routes of travel through the La marsh.  These routes were created by traveling these waters with knowledgeable fishing guides so they are dependable and safe (anyone fishing this marsh knows the benefits of such routes since that marsh land is a maze of waterways).  They were used by all the fishmen fishing in the classic last year.  The routes are a series of connected waypoints (using humminbird limit of 50 per route).  I purchased mine from Academy Sports and all I had to do was insert the chip into the 787 and the unit did the rest.  When I wanted to navigate one of these imported routes I just went to the 'navigate' tab, then selected the route I wanted to use and hit 'travel'.  With this new 898 unit it only downloads the waypoints and not the series of routes .  I thought I had a bad chip (new one for this unit) contacted Standard Mapping and they were kind enough to offer to set these up for me in this unit.  I shipped the unit to them and they too were unsuccessful.  He could download on all of the older models of humminbird but could not on my new version.  That leads to the question, is it possbible with this new unit?

As a side note, their maps can also be downloaded on the Lowrance units in place of the Navionics Maps so it does not show you running on ground when you are in reality running in navigatable waters in the marsh (they have the demos at Bass Pro in Denam Springs, La on the Lowrance units and they are impressive).  What a plus if Humminbird would also partner with them - hint, hint.  I prefer Humminbird over Lowrance but these "route issues" are a deal breaker with me.  It is not about fishing spots -- safety is involved, that is why it is so important. 

Thank you very much for the suggestions.  Exporting from the 787 just may work.  However, it does seem like a big hassle when i already have the routes on a chip, and I have to temporarily install this 787 to be able to export this information.  Not trying to be difficult, just trying to find every reason I can to keep this humminbird unit. 

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 01:25:31 PM »
You just happened to catch me on-line this morning.  I don’t always have the time to check these boards.

I think that the changes made with adding the Waypoint Management software to the newer units may not allow, whatever formatting differences there are with the Standard Mapping data, to load.  This is why I was asking about software versions.  If this is the case, than it may be possible for our software to be modified to allow their data to work.  I would need some of their data files to send to our Engineering department for them to work with though.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo