Author Topic: Need Help with Vertical Jigging  (Read 6941 times)

Offline cmalinowski

• Unit(s): 898CSI
Need Help with Vertical Jigging
« on: September 10, 2011, 09:39:32 PM »
Wondering if anyone can help me with how I can adjust my 898c SI so I can see my jig when vertical jigging or working a drop shot?  I was out today in about 22 feet of water trying to vertical jig on some fish I had marked on structure I had picked up using my side imaging.  I basically tried both clear mode and switch fire and I couldn't seem to get it where I could pick up my jig on the screen.  I've seen videos where guys are vertical jigging and you can clearly see thier worm and weight.  My transducer is at the back of my boat so I was trying to stand back in the boat near the transducer to make sure I would be picked up by the beam.  Basically no matter what settings I tried I didn't have any luck being able to see my tackle.  I believe I have the latest update loaded up, version 5.700. 

Offline kosmo

• Unit(s): 2 - 998 , 597hd/di
Re: Need Help with Vertical Jigging
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 02:49:47 AM »
It should work,I've got the 597hd/Di and l can watch my 1/16  tube jig.you can use the 83khz for more coverage area.

Offline stillbear

• Stillbear
  • Unit(s): 997c SI - 1198 c SI - HDS-10
  • Software: 5.840 5.700- 4.0
  • Accessories: Barometer ,GRHA , 8gb 30 mb/ extreme III
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 06:33:45 AM »
That might be tough to do drop shotting out the back of the boat.
I use my 1198 on my trolling motor. Max mode - 200/83 khz -Chart speed 10 - Sens.10-12.   Gary

Offline cmalinowski

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 08:14:00 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  I'll try increasing the speed, I had it fairly low.  I also found a couple good videos last night as well on line that I think helped me some.  Yeah, standing at the back of the boat isn't the best approach but I only have the one transducer at the back.  I'm thinking about adding a 2nd transducer up front so I can switch to it when vertical jigging or just running the trolling motor - I assume this is possible?  I'd only want it to be capable of DI and Switchfire up front, I wouldn't need SI from up front.

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 09:51:27 PM »
To help others, post the video here for reference.  If its on Youtube, all you need to do is copy the link and paste it in the post.

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline cmalinowski

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 11:39:56 AM »
Here's the video's I had found that helped me out.  The links to the videos are partway down the posting. 

http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=694337

Here's another I found as well that helped.  Hoping between what I found on line and the above comments I will be able to figure it out next time I get out.

http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=705087&postid=7104960

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 01:46:37 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  I'll try increasing the speed, I had it fairly low.  I also found a couple good videos last night as well on line that I think helped me some.  Yeah, standing at the back of the boat isn't the best approach but I only have the one transducer at the back.  I'm thinking about adding a 2nd transducer up front so I can switch to it when vertical jigging or just running the trolling motor - I assume this is possible?  I'd only want it to be capable of DI and Switchfire up front, I wouldn't need SI from up front.

With the 898c Si unit the Di sonar comes from the Si sonar.  So the only way to get Di off the trolling motor is to have the HDSi transducer mounted up there.

If you want only the 2D sonar than you could install the XTM-9-20-T DualBeam transducer on the trolling motor and either install a unit mount (I would use a mount system like the RAM mounts and just buy a second ball base mount) and power cable up front or install an TS3 Transducer Switch and change the Transducer Select menu setting whenever you toggle the switch.  If you wanted to go with the second mounting location you could either forgo the GPS, install a second GPS Receiver or just use the one GPS Receiver you have and use the AS-SysLink cable to allow both locations to use the same GPS Receiver.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo