Author Topic: Transducer problem?**** UPDATED ****  (Read 11097 times)

Offline Wingnutt

• Unit(s): 798CI HD SI
Transducer problem?**** UPDATED ****
« on: June 10, 2011, 01:47:47 PM »
Hello everyone, great site you have here!

I am a side imaging newbie and I'm having an intermittent problem that I'm hoping someone may be able to help me out with.  The problem is with the left side image partially dropping out sometimes

Exactly the same as this problem Re: Dark picture on left side of SI

It happens about 50% of the time...When it's not acting up, it works fine.

There is no blockage from the engine or other items on the transom (sorry, I didn't take any pictures of it before launching the boat for the season).  The engine would be close  to blocking it if it were down, but I never run with it trimmed down all the way... usually have it trimmed half way up because that's where I get the best ride.  I've checked a lot of others' installation pics and I believe mine is alright (no blockage left/right, angle correct, split line of the transducer below the hull, and not near the motor).  I checked for loose connections at the head and made sure the transducer was secure in the mounting bracket of the transom.

I called Humminbird support and they thought it was probably the transducer and sent me a new one.  I don't mind pulling the boat once to fix it, but I'd really like to avoid doing it twice.  Is it reasonable to mount the new transducer on a pole temporarily to make sure it works without routing the wire?  I figured I'd be able to get the unit deeper that way and if it happens after I put it in the permanent bracket, I know I could have a mounting/V-hull issue.

If I do have an issue with the hull type, can I mount the second transducer on the port side of the boat and connect it with a “Y” cable?  I didn't know if it requires a different type of transducer?

If none of these solutions fix the problem, I think I will have to send the head back to the factory to have them check it.  Unfortunately, I don't know anyone near me with one to check.

Any thoughts and input would be appreciated... thanks!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 10:56:40 PM by RGecy »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: Transducer problem?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 02:13:49 PM »
Wingnutt,
Yes you can test the new transducer on a pole.

The AS-Si-LR-Y transducer splitter cable works with the standard XNT-9-Si-180-T transducer that came with the 798ci HD Si unit that you have.  No special transducers are needed, just two of the Si transducers that you have.

I am curious though: what sort of hull problem are you having that would require a prt side Si transducer that also would not block some of the left Si sonar (which may be the cause of your problem).

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Wingnutt

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 03:26:21 PM »
Greg,

Thank you for the quick response.

I don't really think the hull is a problem.  Putting a transducer on the port side is a solution of last resort if everything else checks out as alright.  I would want to rule out the mounting position, transducer, and head  first.  I read on a few posts (not sure if it was here or not) where saltwater guys with deep V/modified deep V had problems locating the transducer.  I would think that would cause a continuous problem though, not an intermittent one.  I will take some pictures of the installation when the boat is out of the water to get some feedback.

Offline Wingnutt

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 12:56:05 PM »
I didn't get a chance to pull the boat over the weekend, but I did get the opportunity to get some pictures of the problem.  I'm hoping someone else might have seen this before.

The first 3 pictures don't have any interesting structure but they do show that the side image on the port side working correctly and malfunctioning.  The water was flat and extended several hundred feet in all directions.
ila_rendered
The second set of photos show me passing under a bridge once in each direction.  There should be two concrete pilings but only the starboard one shows clearly.  Although they look similar, they are not the same since I was coming from the opposite direction.  The last photo is the same bridge but I approached  it closer to the port side with a reduced scale and you can partially make out both pilings.
ila_rendered

Any thoughts on the possible causes?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 07:52:07 AM by Wingnutt »

Offline edwardpic

• Just fish....No excuses
    • My Company
  • Unit(s): 898c and 1198c
  • Software: 5.500 and 5.500
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 08:49:12 PM »
I would imagine something is blocking the SI signal...Mine does that until I trim up my motor a little and I have a V hull center console 22ft....Just my thoughts
Big E

Offline Del

• Unit(s): 1197 SI
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 02:25:26 AM »
It looks verry close to what i'm getting when my engine isnt trimmed up enough.

greetings

Offline Wingnutt

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 08:03:15 AM »
Thank you edwardpic and del.  That was my initial thought too when it first happened.  I should have probably mentioned that once the left side starts to have the problem, I have also tried to turn off the engine and completely lift it out of the water to no avail.

I should also note that the problem goes away just as randomly as it starts... not really sure what's triggering either event.  I even went as far as telling my fishing buddy to go to different areas of the boat to see if there was a 'levelness' issue.  I don't think he liked being considered 'ballast'  >:D

Offline edwardpic

• Just fish....No excuses
    • My Company
  • Unit(s): 898c and 1198c
  • Software: 5.500 and 5.500
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 09:02:30 AM »
Hmmmm...Then there might be a ducer issue...Have you called HB support?....I know it can be frustrating when a problem just comes and goes....Hopefully you can get it worked out soon.
Big E

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 10:24:47 AM »
Big E,
He was sent a new transducer but has not been able to test it yet.

Offline delmuts

• Unit(s): 798 Csi
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 10:00:47 PM »
I get the same views as wing nut, BUT! ;D I will get the partial view on the left/port side at slow speeds( under 10 mph), but if i speed up( 15+ and  leaving the motor trim as is) i get a clear view on both sides. Prop wash, or turbulence from the boat if not on plane?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 10:37:13 AM »
Although that is the opposite of what we usually hear delmuts (usually it is turbulence with faster boat speeds), water turbulence is what it sounds like.

Offline jimf

• Unit(s): 997ci si
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 12:33:21 PM »
Thank you edwardpic and del.  That was my initial thought too when it first happened.  I should have probably mentioned that once the left side starts to have the problem, I have also tried to turn off the engine and completely lift it out of the water to no avail.

I should also note that the problem goes away just as randomly as it starts... not really sure what's triggering either event.  I even went as far as telling my fishing buddy to go to different areas of the boat to see if there was a 'levelness' issue.  I don't think he liked being considered 'ballast'  >:D

I had something like the same problem at first it was hitting my back elec trolling motor. After fixing it it worked until my dad was in the boat and we used the gas motor. I had a dark shadow on left side again. Come to find out I had to level the transdure better. I had to pick it up more on the left side so the left side beam would shot more upward near the surface and that fixed it.
You might think the boat and transdure is level in the water but it might not be. It might be to high or low on one side. Thats why its not good to screew the braket in until you work the bugs out. I used 3M exter tape. The stuff in homedepot. It has a red plastic tape side and grey color.
Jim

Offline Wingnutt

Re: Transducer problem?**** UPDATED ****
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 10:52:59 PM »
I just wanted to post the resolution to the issue in case any one else does a search and finds this topic.

I first tested the new transducer that HB sent first by temporarily attaching it to a pole and verified that the R/L elements were working correctly.  Once I knew they were, I pulled the boat and replaced the transducer.  Put it back in the water today and the picture works correctly.  I took some screen shots to post up, but I left the SD chip on the boat  :-[

Thanks to everyone that provided input!

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 10:10:56 AM »
Thanks for the update. It is always good to see the "fix" and not just the problem..
Chuck

Offline delmuts

• Unit(s): 798 Csi
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 07:52:28 PM »
Thanks Greg! ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo