Author Topic: SI transducer question  (Read 6623 times)

Offline yakattack

• Unit(s): 898si
  • Accessories: external gps
SI transducer question
« on: May 25, 2011, 07:08:12 PM »
I have the XPTH 9HDSI T transducer, ironically no head unit yet-still bcakordered, and I will be mounting this thru the hull of my kayak. I have figured out a good way to do this, so don't worry.
My question is-
Will sunlight or heat from being exposed to sunlight damage these SI/HDSI transducers?
I currently have a traditional transducers mounted to the inside of the hull of my kayak and the only goofy thing I notice is that the temp reads a little high at first, but that only lasts until my hull temp equalizes to that of the water.
-Thanks in advance
Yak.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: SI transducer question
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 09:38:53 AM »
Yak,
Eventually the UV rays from the sun will breakdown the plastic housing of the XPTH transducer, but that may be 10, 50 or 100 years from now.  I don’t see any problems with the sun.  My concerns would be whether it gets damaged from loading/unloading the kayak and just how much drag it will produce.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 12:12:14 PM »
Yak... I am thinking you are mounting the ducer to the hull of the inside of the yak.  This should protect the ducer during loading/unloading and usage.  I for one dont see making a hole in the kayak bottom when we can use thru the hull ducers...a lot thinner material than a fiberglass boat bottom..
chuck

Offline Roddy

• Scan,scan and rescan
  • Unit(s): 797c2, 947c,987SI/DI,570di,1198,1155,Ip
  • Accessories: wx/Tow Fish,Drop Cam's,ROV''s
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 11:17:15 PM »
Yak

1. What unit are you using?
2. Where will the Xducer be mounted?
3. You will need a sun shade! 8)
   Enjoy Roddy
Scan,Scan and Rescan Roddy

Offline yakattack

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 09:31:42 AM »
Greg- Yes I will have to take a bit more care getting my boat into and out of the water, but so far as i can tell I am already doing that. I have seen guys drag their kayaks over an asphalt parking lot to get to the water. Not me! My boat gets carried from the top of my truck to the water.
I have the transducer, and it looks fairly hydrodynamic so I'm not too worried about drag.

Chuck- I didn't think there was an SI transducer that could be mounted inside the hull, I thought thay all needed to be in the water to look out to the sides. Or at least need to be surrounded by a similar media to eventually see whats on the outside. My current (traditional) transducer is mounted INSIDE the hull of my kayak surrounded by MARINE GOOP and can see fairly well thru that type of media.

Roddy- it's the XPTH-9-HDSI-T, I'm planning on mounting it dead center on my kayak, thru the hull.

TO ALL- i now know the pain of other boat owners when the idea of drilling a hole in the hull of your boat is presented. I hvae not done this yet on my kayak, but this is kind of uncharted territory in kayaks. I have access to all the best glues, gaskets, sealants etc., and if I can't make it work, a kayak patch kit. still scarey tho.
I just got an email saying the head unit has shipped!!!!! So, sometime this week I will be working on installing the whole shibang and I will post detailed photos of however the project gets finished.

As always-
Thanks for all the advice, input, and questions,  It gets the brain workin!!!

Yak

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 11:37:08 AM »
Yes you can mount shoot thru the hull ducers with epoxy. this way you dont have to make any holes in the yak...and that is what these ducers are for..
Chuckj

Offline yakattack

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 10:56:13 PM »
Chuck- Just so I am clear on this, can you list one or two of the model numbers for this that have the SI. or can I use the one I have( XPTH-9-HDSI-T) and suround it in GOOP and do it that way, as long as I place it in a manner where I can see out to the sides?
-yak

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 12:07:09 PM »
You cannot mount an Si transducer inside-the-hull and expect it to work right.  The Si sonar beams radiate out of the sides of the transducer and would not be in contact with the hull.
The XPTH true Thru-Hull transducer gets mounted through that big home you will have to drill in your yak… but the transducer elements end up on the outside of the hull.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline yakattack

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 10:08:06 PM »
Thanks to all for the advice! I rec'd the long backordered head unit this week, committed to my game plan and executed the install pretty well. I went with the XPTH transducer, drilled a GIANT hole in the bottom of my kayak and then sealed it. I mounted the ducer flush to the bottom of my kayak and actually used the fairing block inside the hull to make up for the unthreaded portion of the stem on the ducer. I used 3m 4200 sealant to help with the sealing. 5200 is more permanent, but I felt 4200 would be tough enough fpr my purposes.
i did a lake trial yesterday and can report that 4 hours on the water and my boat stayed dry as a bone! It was not an easy install and who drills holes in the bottom of a perfectly good boat? but the end result is pretty cool. Also, no noticeable drag from the ducer, my boat goes along just like before! I guess I should post some pics of the rig, and check out some settings to help me get started.

yak

Offline Roddy

• Scan,scan and rescan
  • Unit(s): 797c2, 947c,987SI/DI,570di,1198,1155,Ip
  • Accessories: wx/Tow Fish,Drop Cam's,ROV''s
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 10:16:32 PM »
Yak; Good Show ! In my yak I can feel the xducer ping.  >:D Roddy
Scan,Scan and Rescan Roddy

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo