Other Interest > DIY - Side Scan Sonar and towfish

Kron´s towfish

(1/3) > >>

kron:
Hello!

I think it is time now, to show my/our towfish which was built a couple of years ago, 2008.

Specs:
Weight: 11,2kg
Length: unknown(approx 1,2m)
Material: Fish; PVC-tube, Nose cone; solid iron(for the weight)
fins; Plastic
Cable: CAT 7 pimf 50m.
Steel cable(50m) 2mm coated with plastic.

As you can see on the picture, I use aluminium and stainless steel to protect the transducer. In the former version it was only plastic on the sides. Unfortunately my fish tasted the seabed which resulted in only one plastic protection :-X. The ducer got some scratches too, but it works fine after the grounding.

The reel on the picture is to a garden hose so it does not have any sliprings.

455KHz
depth: 5-8 meters

Jolly Roger:
Nice work Daniel!

I'm looking forward to see some close up pictures of Northern Wrecks. So keep them coming  ;).  The garden hose reel is a good idea. Something I still haven't figured out is how I can get my cable reeled in and out.

Keep us posted!
Harry

abraquelebout:
nice and biautifull
waintig for picture, good job
the reel of grden hose sim's a good idea

Rickard:
Tjenare kandidat Kron!

Well done, you are my favourite student! Your fish is very much more elaborated than mine. Please tell folks about your fish-saving system and your breakthrough on the long cable issue. Everyone should know you are the young bright man who presented the first working solution on the issue with long cables for the HB transducers. And don't forget to tell you are my student, (even if that's in a very different area - Human-Machine-Interaction.  :))

Ses i Luleå (See you in Luleå), perhaps for some ice-scanning at sea when the sun comes back?

Rickard

kron:
Images on some of the northern wrecks will come, later on. Nowdays we really have to use Icebreakers to scan with boat.

About the SI image above: I weren't searching for stones, but that was almost everything what occurred. The real search was too find an completely new outboard engine, 25hp, 4-stroke. We did not find it though.

The image, under, shows the transducer better, and the fish has also an extra security system if it tastes the seabed anymore. As on the image, there is an extra steelcable going from the other steelcable(the one going to the surface) to an point at the rear of the fish. The reason is quite simple. If the fish get stuck in an stone then will the other cable(going to the rear) turn the fish around and hopefully get undamaged to the surface. The Idea is not new, and i didn't know about it before "Rickard" told it too me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version