Author Topic: need some help with my997  (Read 3017 times)

Offline netman

• Unit(s): 997cSI
need some help with my997
« on: July 29, 2010, 02:32:39 PM »
I ran a self test and found my gps is disconnected even though its connected. I wiggled the wiring and made sure all the prongs were there even though there is no reason for them to be damaged.  I have come to conclusion that I have nicked or damaged the wiring or ??? that runs from the unit to the antenna.
I need a new antenna/wiring.  Where can I buy one?  Any place to buy a used one?  Any help would be appreciated.
Randy

Offline netman

Re: need some help with my997
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 02:48:26 PM »
Is the cable replaceable?  Any other options?  I have tried contacting HB through the 1-800 number and have been unsuccessful with getting someone on the line. >:(
Randy

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 03:28:49 PM »
Randy,

You could splice the cable.  Otherwise, you would have to buy a whole new GPS reciever.

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline netman

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 01:01:52 AM »
Is splicing possible?  If so I could do it or take it to someone with some electrical expierence. What receiver comes with the 997?  If my self test shows disconnected is it safe to say there is a problem with the receiver?  Thanks for your help.  I contacted ROOD who has a replacement for mine if I need to buy one.
Randy

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 02:33:27 PM »
Randy,
I would start by confirming that the GPS Receiver is the problem.  Try connecting your 997 to another Humminbird GPS Receiver to see if it will work or not.

If the unit works on a second GPS Receiver you should look at the GPS Receiver cable on your boat for any damage.  Usually you can see where the damage is.  If not too close to the connector or GPS Receiver itself there is no reason why some competent person couldn’t splice the cable for you (be sure it gets sealed afterwards).

Another option here is to call the Humminbird Customer Resource folks at 1-800-633-1468 and see what the cost of getting the GPS Receiver fixed is.  This may take a little more time though.  See if they can ship one out against your credit card and than just credit your account when yours arrives at the factory – can’t hurt to see if they can do this.

By the way: the Customer Resource folks here are still busy.  Many are trying to take family vacations before the local schools start back and we also had a company wide meeting yesterday – so it was not a good day to try and contact them.  Calling early in the morning is your best bet to get through quickly as well and avoid calling on Mondays as this is their busiest day of the week!

Greg Walters at Humminbird
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline netman

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 10:57:36 AM »
Greg, thanks for the reply.  I have found a friend who has a 997 and will check the unit out first before ordering a receiver. 
In regards to the HB CS dept...I have always had really good luck when calling them. I have bragged of their great responses. I called the toll free number several times and literally spent hours waiting for someone to help me. I even got on the website thinking there might be some breaking news info or the number had been changed or??
I figured it had to be some kind of mass vacation or major work load.
I need my units gps working and ready to do whatever I need to do to get it back up and running.
I am very happy with my unit overall.

Thanks
Randy

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal