Author Topic: Two Helix 10 SI's, I-pilot Link, Ethernet Hub, Networking issues  (Read 6315 times)

Offline gzrglide

• Unit(s): 999CI HD SI, Helix 10 SI(2 of them)
  • Accessories: Ethernet Switch, HD SI xducers
Having problems with loss of signal from my HD transducer connected to my dash Helix 10 SI to my Helix 10 SI mounted on the bow.

My setup:
Dash: Helix 10 SI connected to HD SI transducer on the transom.
Bow: Helix 10 SI connected to US2 transducer in my Ulterra with I-pilot Link.
Network Hub mounted under the dash connecting my Dash Helix, Bow Helix, and I-pilot Link. Network Hub is switched thru Accessory Switch on dash, that is the only load on the switch.

Normal setup: Dash reads from transom mounted transducer, Bow reads from US2 for depth, and HD Transducer via the Dash unit for SI and DI inputs.

Problem: For the last few fishing trips when I move to the bow to start fishing, I power up the Bow unit, and get indication that i-pilot link is connected, and verify that I have input from the Dash unit for DI and SI input. with in minutes I start getting a loss of SI input or loss of DI input warning popping up on the bow unit, never any indication that I have lost i-pilot or US2 input. I clear the warning and check the network setup, all inputs still indicate to be there and select the Dash unit again for DI and SI input, minutes later the same thing occurs.  I have pulled all connections, cleaned them and put di-electric grease on all of them to make sure I don't have a corrosion issue taking place. The last two times out, after giving up on wiggling wires, etc to determine where the high resistance connection could be, the problem just goes away on its own after an hour or so.  I never have issues with the HD transducer on the Dash unit, or any indication of loss of input to the Dash unit, only input to the bow unit being lost from the Dash unit.

So, since I have cleaned and relubricated every connector, verified no power problems or reduction in voltages of any type, and am not having any issues with i-pilot that routes thru the same network, my question is what do I need to look at next to solve this problem?  any ideas?

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
Re: Two Helix 10 SI's, I-pilot Link, Ethernet Hub, Networking issues
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 06:12:16 PM »
Do all units have the most recent software update?  Is your Ethernet switch the new version ..... AS ETH 5PXG?
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline gzrglide

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 08:30:46 PM »
Yes, both units have the latest updates, version 1.40. The i-pilot link is also the latest version 2.150.  The switch is the AS ETH 5PXG.  You know now that you asked the question, I was trying to remember if this problem started before I did the software updates on the two Helix's or not, I can't remember for sure, but I do know that I verified that both units report no errors, I wonder if I could roll back the software update and see if the problem goes away?

Brent

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 10:17:50 PM »
Rolling the software back would be worth a shot if you have the previous software......Otherwise you may need to give customer service a call.
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline suvowner

• Unit(s): Helix 10 si and di, ipilot link
  • Software: 1.460
  • Accessories: i pilot link and ulterra
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 09:03:06 PM »
I have almost exact equipment except my bow unit is helix 10 di, but am having the same network issue. I have contacted humminbird and the suggested connecting units directly with a new ethernet cable, but the problem persisted. I was hoping the original poster found a solution

thanks

Offline gzrglide

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 09:48:36 AM »
Nope still haven't solved the issue, next steps are new cranking battery and pulling larger gauge wire to the bow unit to see if I am getting enough voltage drop for the units to have these issues.

Offline suvowner

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 12:32:07 PM »
ok thanks for responding. check out this thread on the bbc boards.
http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=812837&page=3&p=9011760#post9011760

mine seems to be working much better after a restore defaults with hub turned off and all sd cards removed except the one with software update, then turn on each unit 2 minutes apart, hub first, then main unit then bow unit. 

also humminbird just released a new update yesterday for helix 10, humminbird also recommended backing up all nav data then reformatting all nav directories, and make sure no waypoints have a space in the name.......

Offline suvowner

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 11:31:39 AM »
Just to follow up, I updated to latest software, backed up my waypoints to Humminbird pc and some had names with spaces so on the pc removed spaces from the names, then deleted all way points and formatted nav directories and reset defaults, then turned on hub for about 5 minutes, then console unit for 5 then bow unit for 5 minutes then configured bow unit to see the si/di network from console and was a rock solid connection, mine would always drop from 800 down to 455 and go to one of the map screens, and so left for a couple of hours and came back and all was still good on si at 800 for both units, then I imported my waypoints back into the unit and things were still good

I now think formatting the nav directories is an important step for this networking issue and also removing spaces in the names of any waypoints, I had imported some waypoints from the game and fish where they had dropped some fish attractors and these waypoints had the spaces in the name

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo