Author Topic: Software Update Failure on 798Ci SI  (Read 7844 times)

Offline Hawgeye

• Unit(s): 798Ci SI
  • Software: 4.3
  • Accessories: none
Software Update Failure on 798Ci SI
« on: December 02, 2011, 11:20:52 PM »
I purchased a new 798Ci SI a few days ago and set up my unit on my portable ice-fishing box to "play around".  It was working fine and I decided to register on the HB site and download the latest version of software updates.  I have several MMC cards and rather than use a PC connection cable, I loaded the new version of software on the MMC.  I powered up my HB, inserted the chip and began the update.  I then was frozen.  The loading screen was stuck running.  I checked power and had clean 12.2VDC on my battery. 

I ended up having to power down the unit and restart.   At this point, the HB started in the MATRIX SERIES BOOT VERSION 4.300 Jul 21 2008 mode.  I decided to try "reset" the unit and nothing changed.  I checked each test option and everything was fine.  I then began to do some reading here on the site for known issues with the software upgrade.  By the way, I did reset the unit to defaults as directed.

I attempted to reload the software version that it was at when I received the unit by copying the file to the MMC card, powering up the HB and inserted the MMC chip.  I selected the item 9 "program" and the unit proceeded to display "programming..." at the bottom.  After approximately 1 minute or so, the screen scrolled to the next line reflecting "Failure". 

I then found this site and downloaded every version of software for the unit.  I proceeded to try each version with no luck.  Each time I received the "Failure" response.  I also tried different MMC cards to see if there was an issue with that to no avail. 

I cannot power on the unit and get to anything other than the "BOOT" screen.  What did I do wrong?  Since my ice fishing setup has the transducer connected, is this a problem?  Help!?  This is brand new and already I cannot get this working.  I hoped to get out to use this ice fishing in the next week but now things don't look good. 

Offline Hawgeye

Re: Software Update Failure on 798Ci SI
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 09:48:01 PM »
 ;D  Update::

Well, just call me Mr. Impatient and also thank you to Jolly Roger's previous posts, I was able to learn about some things that helped me fix my problem.  Apparently once the unit has crashed, you cannot update via MMC chip.  I made my own AS-PC2 connection through the purchase of a DB9 serial female end and a 3-conductor cable for a grand total of $3.  It was a little tricky but I pushed the 3 wires in the pins needed to connect to the computer and my HB, and with the use of Humminbird PC, was able to pull it up by it's "BOOTSTRAP"!  My software is 100% updated and running like it should.

Through research on forums and on this site I was able to find out that my problem is not all that uncommon.  Too bad that the MMC upgrade option is so finicky. 

Anyway, now I am ready to experience SI and DI when the time comes.  I don't see huge differences with the standard software with my Lowrance 332, and I do see a few things missing that I would like to have but if I like this unit, I'll probably be purchasing a larger screened unit in the future. Lowrance just doesn't make me too happy by how they handle service on units.  This site rocks and the information that i have found has been very helpful!!  GOOD TO GO!!

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 07:43:19 AM »
Hawgeye

Welcome to the site.  Happy to see that you solved your problem with updating your unit.  Found it interesting on how you made a cable to fit.

Here is a site with some great training videos -->  http://www.dougvahrenberg.com/Videos.html  <==  They are worth a watch

George

Offline Hawgeye

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 10:02:21 AM »
I wouldn't recommend connecting the way I did but since none of the HB outlets in town carry the cable, I didn't feel like waiting to receive a shipment for something I wasn't sure would fix. I think I'll order one now that I know it works. Thanks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo