Author Topic: SI Transducer Mount- Ranger 520VX  (Read 10000 times)

Offline ericbev

• Unit(s): 998SI Combo
  • Accessories: XP-9-20 and AS-SI-DB-Y
SI Transducer Mount- Ranger 520VX
« on: June 13, 2010, 01:39:46 PM »
I just purchased a 998SI unit the other day and was doing some reading on the SI transducer installation and would just like some of you guys who are more experienced than me to tell me if this is a good spot to mount it.  I was hoping for more installation pictures of SI transducers in the image gallery but I was out of luck!    The way the jackplate move the motor off the back of the boat do I have plenty of clearance for the SI to operate correctly?  It is a stepped hull but I want it as high as it can be so it doesnt run the risk of coming off at high speeds. Give me your thoughts on this location.

I will also be running the XP920 thru-hull unit (with the Y cable) for on plane depth readings...

Thanks in advance for your help!

******EDIT*******  I just found something good that you guys may or may not know about.  Yahoo Groups has a SideImaging group that has a TON of installation pictures.  Give it a look!

« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 02:28:54 PM by ericbev »

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
Re: SI Transducer Mount- Ranger 520VX
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 09:25:23 PM »
ericbev,

Doug V runs the Yahoo Groups and certainly a great wealth of info on installation especially on Bass Boats!  The forum here is only a year old and we are getting more and more installation photos posted.  You may also want to search some of the post since pictures can be posted there as well.

The only issue I would see under the jackplate would be if there is enough room for the transducer to kick up if you hit something.

Now, most guys with bass boats will also put a transducer in the hull for better depth reading at high speeds.  The location you have there will lose depth reading at probably around 7-8 mph.

Some guys will mount it down on the bottom step near the drain plug and water intake.

The transducers are designed to kick up (not come off) if they hit something or they get too much pressure.  Mine do fine up to 45+ mph and I know others have faster boats than mine.

Good Luck.

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline ericbev

• Unit(s): 998SI Combo
  • Accessories: XP-9-20 and AS-SI-DB-Y
Re: SI Transducer Mount- Ranger 520VX
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 04:22:49 PM »
Yeah there was a ton of pictures in that Yahoo Group.  It was extremely helpful.  I will only be utilizing the SI at lower speeds as I read its optimal operating speed is about 2-7 mph anyways.  I am used to idling around staring at my graph.  I cant wait to get this thing out there and give it a trial run.  I fish a lot of strip mine lakes around here that are soo clear that the fish hide deep during the days and also a lot of muddy river water that doesnt allow me to see anything at all!  Its going to be interesting.  I was immediately impressed when I turned on the unit yesterday and the GPS map had my position fixed instantaneously.  My old lowrance took a while and wasnt nearly as detailed.  My boat hasnt even left the driveway yet and I am already blown away at how capable this unit is.

I figured where I mounted it, it would be in more than enough water to operate correctly but high enough (and on that step) to be completely out of the water when I am on plane.  The chances of it being hit or popped out of its bracket seem very slim.  Lets just hope it stays put.  The other transducer will handle the on-plane duties.  Speaking of which....that "slow cure" epoxy takes FOREVER to finally set up.

The installation was as easy as pie.  I spent more time ripping out/fixing/cleaning up some of the messes that the previous owners had left than I did actually installing my new humminbird.  Man the things people do sometimes make you scratch your head... lol ..  Now I just have to go outside and finish re-wiring my entire trailer....only a little more to go..

Thanks again!

« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 06:36:02 PM by ericbev »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo