Author Topic: laptop computer for Humviewer  (Read 4329 times)

Offline drawde

• Unit(s): Matrix 47,998 SI
laptop computer for Humviewer
« on: August 27, 2010, 05:03:23 PM »
I am going to purchase a laptop computer to view my recordings and would appreciate any recommendations for the best type.
Thank you in advance for all replies.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
Re: laptop computer for Humviewer
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 06:00:18 PM »
If you just want the laptop for humviewer then the market is open and price is no concern.
Notebooks or  tough books will do fine and have more than just a viewer support.
 However if you want to use the laptop for other programs then consider HP or Dell.
Memory and cpu speed is important.
Hard drive space is important.

Chuck

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
  • Unit(s): HELIX 9 G3N, 998Cx SI, 959DI
  • Software: latest (mostly)
  • Accessories: AS GR50, custom towfish and: A boat!!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 01:59:07 AM »
Hi drawde,

I bought a used PANASONIC TOUGHBOOK CF-18 MK5 for 900.- Euros in May for this purpose. It works perfect and it's worth its money. The TOUGHBOOK has a build in SD card reader and GPS. Since it is shock- and waterproof you can even use it in rough surroundings like rain or spray and choppy waters.

With the serial port you can also connect your unit to it for updating or bootstrapping with the HB PC connection cable. I bought a 12V adapter to power it on the boat and use it for navigation as well.

Here's a link with some descriptions:
http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?storeId=11201&catalogId=13051&modelNo=Toughbook-18

Regards / Harry
YES,......
WE SCAN!

Offline muskyhunter

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 01:15:27 AM »
The Humviewer requirements page has limited information, but it seems to suggest that it will run on 32 bit operating systems.  No reference is made for 64 bit operating systems:

If you don't have it already and is using a 32 bit version of Windows, a bundled version can be installed with the program.

Humviewer may run on 64 bit operating systems, but it may not.  The reason this is being discussed depends where you are going to buy your laptop from.  The following is written with the assumption that Humviewer will not run on 64 bit Windows 7, 64 bit Windows XP, or 32 bit Windows 7.

Consumer grade laptops today are predominantly Windows 7 64 bit systems.  Consumer grade is what you typically find at retails stores (Best Buy, Office Depot, etc).  Business systems offer a wide array of configurations, including 32 or 64 bit options, XP downgrade rights, and a multitude of other variables.  Business systems are available generally online or through business partners.

Windows 7 Professional or higher versions give you Windows XP Mode, which is a virtual desktop that runs on top of Windows 7.  Straight Windows 7 will not allow the inclusion of Windows XP Mode.  Windows XP Mode can be helpful for when older software does not run on Windows 7. 

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/reviews/2010/01/windows-xp-mode.ars

The video at the link below is a brief overview showing the virtual Windows XP Mode over Windows 7 Professional:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode

If Humviewer does not run on 64 bit operating systems, another option would be to run VMware Player Virtual Desktop.  Similar in function to Windows XP Mode in that the desktop is virtual, VMware Player will allow you to create multiple virtual desktops if you so desire.  I personally have available 2 virtual servers and 4 virtual desktops using VMware player that I can run on my laptop if I so desire.  I do this for my work.

VMWare Player can be downloaded from the link below: 

VMware Player Download

Unless VMware Player has changed recently, it should be free.  Register and download.

When buying a new laptop with a strong desire to run Humviewer, assuming Humviewer is 32 bit only, you may want to consider locating a laptop that is Windows 7 Professional 32 bit.  The professional version will give you the ability to run XP mode if desired.  Straight Windows 7 32 bit will not allow that option.   Should you go with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, you will want to do some research.  I am not clear whether a Windows 7 Professional 64 bit system running Windows XP mode, if the XP mode will also be 64 bit.  Windows XP did ship 64 bit versions of it's operating system.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo