Author Topic: Helix and Smartstrike  (Read 5666 times)

Offline Daranch

• Unit(s): Helix 10 SI, Helix 10 Sonar, AS 360SSI
  • Software: Version 1.460
  • Accessories: AS ETH 5PXG
Helix and Smartstrike
« on: April 20, 2016, 11:05:48 AM »
Now that Helix can use the smartstike cards I have a question that HB didn't totally answer for me.  I have a Helix 10 Sonar on the bow, a Helix 10 SI on the console, linked to a MinnKota Terrova w/iPilot link.  I updated the Helixes to the latest firmware.  I want to use the Smartstrike card.  Both heads have lakemaster and an SD chip in them.  Do I need two Smartstrike cards?  Which chip do I have to remove to use the Smartstrike card, the Lakemaster or the SD?  My reply from HB was 'yes', not very helpful.

Thanks in advance!
I miss the days that my Humminbird actually hummed and spun a  little orange light around in a circle.

Offline F1veAl1ve

• Unit(s): Helix 12 SI & Helix 12 DI
  • Software: 1.210
  • Accessories: Ethernet, SmartStrike
Re: Helix and Smartstrike
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 01:57:33 PM »
My understanding is the you would need a sSmartStrike (SS) card in each unit. However, I can't say that with certainty. I agree that all around, HB has done a poor job of creating guides/manuals, especially when it comes to networking and interoperability of sharing resources between units.

I do know that the the SS cards come loaded with the LakeMaster (LM) maps so you shouldn't need to have both a SS & LM card in a unit since it would be redundant.

Slightly off-topic but relevant to "HELIX and SMARTSTRIKE" is the issue I am having with my Helix 12 is getting the SmartStrike menu to even show up. I updated to the new 1.210 firmware which is states now allows for SS functionality, and I have tried the SS card in each slot, but I can't for the life of me find where you get to select the SS options like; species, time of year, similar spots, etc... I do the lake search and select my lake and then nothing changes. When I say nothing changes, I mean that when I powered on the unit it automatically pulled the LakeMaster map data from the SS card, then I select my lake and there are no additional menus across the top for SS? I posted this question to Doug V's youtube channel and he said to just click the checkmark (info) button to get the SS menus to appear, but that didn't make anything appear other than some generic data about the Chart.

Bottom line is that I am very interested in finding out both what can be shared between units since I have (2) Helix 12's and would love it if I only needed 1 card, but more importantly, I want to know how to get SmartStrike to even WORK in the first place on a Helix!
"Just START - you will figure it out"

Offline viper200

• Unit(s): 998,1199,360
  • Software: 7.090,7.020,2.030
  • Accessories: NMEA2K,Ethernet
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 02:42:51 PM »
On any chart display all you need to do is hit the (info Button) which is the check button .

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 04:40:01 PM »
Now that Helix can use the smartstike cards I have a question that HB didn't totally answer for me.  I have a Helix 10 Sonar on the bow, a Helix 10 SI on the console, linked to a MinnKota Terrova w/iPilot link.  I updated the Helixes to the latest firmware.  I want to use the Smartstrike card.  Both heads have lakemaster and an SD chip in them.  Do I need two Smartstrike cards?  Which chip do I have to remove to use the Smartstrike card, the Lakemaster or the SD?  My reply from HB was 'yes', not very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

The Smartstrike card would replace the Lakemaster card you are using now.  Since there is no map sharing funciton with the Helix series, it would be necessary to have a Smartstrike card in each unit you want to use Smartstrike on.

I wouldn't think it would be necessary to run that software on both units ... probably just the console as a search tool.

When you get it going, let us know how you like it.
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline F1veAl1ve

• Unit(s): Helix 12 SI & Helix 12 DI
  • Software: 1.210
  • Accessories: Ethernet, SmartStrike
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 06:07:37 PM »
Ok so I spoke to HB tech support. Make sure you don't move around the map by hitting the directional buttons after selecting the lake because it will put the map in birds-eye mode. I just had to hit the "check" button right away after selecting the lake. So dumb simple user error on my part so just a word to the wise.
"Just START - you will figure it out"

Offline Daranch

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 08:57:12 PM »
Not dumb, an undocumented function!  it will end up in the manual someday.  Good to know.
I miss the days that my Humminbird actually hummed and spun a  little orange light around in a circle.

Offline Daranch

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 02:09:57 PM »
I'm happy to report that the Smartstrike works well in both my SI and Sonar Helix 10s.  So far it has been useful for going to a new lake that I don't know.  It gives you the logical places to try based on time of day, weather, etc.  I don't know that I would recommend this SD over the Lakemaster.  It is spendy.  If you haven't purchased a Lakemaster card then you may want to consider getting the Smartstrike since it has both mapping functions.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo