Author Topic: 997 frustration  (Read 11380 times)

Offline exudedude

• Unit(s): 997si NVB
  • Software: 4.750
997 frustration
« on: March 03, 2010, 03:45:50 PM »
1st post here..great site with alot of good info.  I bought my 997 si NVB in August  and I have been thru hell since. I bought it for 1 thing only, trolling for grouper in Tampa Bay.  I have a 23' 1990 Grady White  Gulfstream.  I sent pics of my transom to customer service/techs for a transducer location for my deep v. I followed all recommendations.  I had no contact with the bottom above planing speed and lost si at 4mph (trolling speed is 5mph) I have since moved it numerous times and I was told to tilt the motor up as high as possible when trolling ::). The last reply I got was to purchase the high speed transducer and another si transducer for the port side.

This brings us up to date..I have downloaded the 4.750 software and uploaded it to my machine.. now miracolously my transducer works great up to 30mph and I loose si at 5mph now. But now my main problem is I have everything with the upgrade but the down imaging..there is no view for it or any kind of setting that even refers to down imaging on that machine what so ever... I have reset defaults and uploaded twice with no sucess. I tried for a 3rd time today and once I slip in the 4gb card she just bounces from the loading screen and the disclosure screen. If I pop it out she runs fine, but still no down imaging.

Thanks for any help in advance...........

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
Re: 997 frustration
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 03:50:34 PM »
when you upgraded did you restore factory defaults first.   On the loss of si at speeds  I am beginning to believe that location is very important.  Every boat seems to have a sweet spot.  chuck

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 03:56:44 PM »
another thought is to load your upgrade on a smaller card.  something like a 256 or 512.   chuck

Offline exudedude

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 04:04:08 PM »
Yes I did restore the defaults prior to upload....and the transducer fiasco is a whole differents story, but my point was their software fix , is what fixed it, not ducer relocation. I had moved it 6 times I believe...i ended up putting it where the manual said and it was best of the worst. My main point is they asked me to buy those extra transducers when they knew they had an issue. I'm glad I did not put out the extra 4 or 5 hundred bucks.

Don't get bet me wrong, I'm not bashing anyone.. but everything is a install issue to them, when it was a software issue is my point.

And like the title of my post it is very frustrating because I did tons of research and talked to alot of HB people prior to buying this unit and in doing so I explained my sole use for it.

Sorry for the rant.

Offline exudedude

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 04:08:08 PM »
another thought is to load your upgrade on a smaller card.  something like a 256 or 512.   chuck

The 1st time I did it on a 2gb....the thing is nothing ever came up to tell me it was complete....It just ask me if I wanted to do the upgrade.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 04:09:45 PM »
this is the place to rant.  there are a lot of guys here with good knowledge especially on the 997.  And you will find that all of us are sensitive to frustration issues.  If it helps to rant then do that.  I looked at some post posts on high capacity cards and it could have some bearing on the bouncing issue.  This is a big forum with lots of information so it does take a while to poke thru the posts.  sometimes the search box at the top right can shorten the amount of looking.  I have asked a couple of the 997 users to look at your post and see what they think.    chuck

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
  • Unit(s): HELIX 9 G3N, 998Cx SI, 959DI
  • Software: latest (mostly)
  • Accessories: AS GR50, custom towfish and: A boat!!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 04:15:45 PM »
Hi exudedude and welcome to the forum!
No worries about the "rant"  ;).

You have a problem, so no one would feel different if you have tried and didn't get what you want or expect.

Hm, that is strange indeed that you get better readings just through the update. the unit is still under warranty if you have bought it in August last year, right?

I would call customer's service and ask if they would have a lookinto the unit at the factory, 'cause that doesn't sound common. Mostly the transducer location is the tricky part to get good readings. Now since you have gotten better readings without changing the location there, but through the update, I guess it's an issue with the unit itself.

My 2 cents

Regards / Harry
YES,......
WE SCAN!

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 04:17:24 PM »
exudedude,

Check and make sure that the Down Imaging Views are enabled.  You can do this by hitting Menu twice, then go to Views and scroll thru them to see if the Down Imaging View is enabled or even shown on the Views list.  While you are there, make sure to enable the Self Test View if the Down Imaging Views are not on the list.

Then check and make sure that the software updated to the 4.750 by going to the Self Test Screen and checking the software version.   

If it does not say 4.750 then we no the software update did not take and you need to install it again.

If it says 4.750 and the DI Views are not present in the Views list then I would reinstall the previous software version and then install 4.750 again.

Let me know what you find out!

Robert

Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline soretoe

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 04:19:01 PM »
A lot of times the way the transducer is Leveled on a boat changes when the boat is in the water. I mounted my transducer so that is is slightly down in the back if it and can get good SI at 40 mph. I also have 2 transducers on my transom. The one on the right is the same as what you have on your 997.  Now I.m not saying that you will see individual fish at that speed. I do think that you will see what you want at your trolling speed of 5MPH.

I also do not know the weight and ballance of your boat. But just a bit more patience and a little experiment with the angles of your transducer might make you a happy camper.

I install this equipment for other people. I have mounted all my transducers just as shown below. That includes the competitors equipment as well.
Freedom isnt free, if you want to know the real cost visit a national cemetery or VA Hospital.

I can also be found at;
http://allatoonabass.proboards.com/

Offline exudedude

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 04:26:06 PM »
The software says it is 4.750 and on the page to select views, down imaging is not listed. I guess I will revert back to the 4.5 version and try again..would it be better to do on a 1 gb card it is the smallest I have.  I don't even know if they sell smaller anymore

Offline exudedude

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 04:36:32 PM »
Sortoe that is really low..huh. I have a really deep v and draft 2'6" . I believe I loose the si due to the motor as it is only the port side that goes out.  My beam is 8'6", I have trim tabs  and right now I am appro 12" from edge of the engine, the more starboard I go the worse it gets. Maybe I should just go lower.... I'll look for the pics of my install

Thanks for all the help guys....

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 04:56:44 PM »
exudedude,

Here is a step by step video showing how to update.

How to Update the Software on your Humminbird Side Imaging Unit

I dont think its the card, but just to be sure, delete everything off of it and re-format it.  You can do this by going to My Computer and right clicking on the SD Cards drive letter.  It should bring up a drop down menu and just go down to Format and follow the directions.  Remeber this will erase everything off your card.

Then put the 4.570 on the card and do the update.  Folow the video, and then do again with the 4.750.

Let us know what happens.

Robert

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 05:17:23 PM »
for other readers who may pull this topic up for review.  To recap, we went to a chat room with Jolly_Roger, sonar2000, Rgecy, and Kendrik.   robert moderated the chat and it was decided to have Exdude  reformat his sd card.  download the 4.75.   reset factory defaults and then insert the update sd card without powering off.   This will be tomorrow hopefully.  Exdude will get back tous on the results.  From there we will see what problems if any exist.   Exdude will try to get some pictures for posting on the xducer location and we can go from there.  great posting and chat.  this forum is excellent.  soretoe  thaks for the pic also.  it will help I am sure.    chuck

Offline exudedude

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 05:46:47 PM »
Well after the chat session, my curiousity got the best of me...I did as instructed reset defaults and uploaded the older software 4.5 then I  reset the defaults and uploaded the 4.75 software. Nothing has changed. It's really wierd, it still is saying it has 4.57 version now, but with the upgrades of 4.75 less the "Down Imaging".  How long does it take the software to complete the update? Nothing tells me the update is complete.

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 05:57:06 PM »
Ok, did it start flashing like it did in the video?  Did it just power off and restart? 

Inser the SD card and see if it ask to perform the update still? 

I would also download a fresh copy of the 4.750 update.

Robert

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 06:01:57 PM by RGecy »

Offline exudedude

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 06:03:12 PM »
okay..I got it to go, my version of 4.570 must have been picky. When I bought the unit, it had 4.510 on it. So I downloaded that to a card and started there, then 4.570, then 4.75 and she took it all properly. I even have the down imaging page views now. Hopefully the weather will lay tomorrow and I can take her for a spin and test her out.

Thanks  for all of the help everyone..I will try and update tomorrow.

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 06:04:49 PM »
Ok, way to go!  I am glad it got resolved and glad we could help!

Robert

Offline exudedude

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 06:23:55 PM »
Here are the transducer pics..hopefully they are not too big..I have never  post pics here... okay I tried to upload 3 pics what happened

Got it
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 06:26:40 PM by exudedude »

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 09:11:38 PM »
Engine looks like a 2000 Yamaha OX 66 225 hp, give or take a year or two!  ;D  Am I close?

The transducer looks like it needs to be lowered. Your issue is not going to benecesarily bubbles, but turbulence coming off the hull and you are definitely going to have issues with SI at over 5 mph on the Port side. 

I had the same issue and went to a dual transducer setup and the results were dramatic.  As Jody mentioned, you may even want to consider adding an in-hull transducer for better high speed 2d performance.

Robert

Offline exudedude

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 10:00:05 PM »
Engine looks like a 2000 Yamaha OX 66 225 hp, give or take a year or two!  ;D  Am I close?

The transducer looks like it needs to be lowered. Your issue is not going to benecesarily bubbles, but turbulence coming off the hull and you are definitely going to have issues with SI at over 5 mph on the Port side. 

I had the same issue and went to a dual transducer setup and the results were dramatic.  As Jody mentioned, you may even want to consider adding an in-hull transducer for better high speed 2d performance.

Robert

1990 vx 250 that runs like new... I was hoping to get a year out of her but it looks llike forevere..she has 2700 hrs on her

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 10:31:41 PM »
I agree with Robert that it look like the transducer needs to go lower.  I would concentrate on getting the most out of this transducer before looking at a dual or triple transducer install.

About the software update helping get a better return signal at speed: our Engineers are always looking to improve many aspects of the sonar which can include smarter programming to enable the units to track the bottom reading in a high noise or low signal environment such as what sounds like you have on your deep-V hull.  Now they will not always admit to this in the update notes but it’s always one of the things that get included with almost every update.  So yes the software may have helped but it doesn’t mean that was a problem.  We just know that it can be consistently improved so as to work in a wider range of environments.  The reason that we think many depth reading at speed issues are installation related is that sonar doesn’t care if you are moving slow or fast.  If it works when sitting still or moving slowly that it will work at 100mph if you could only locate the transducer in a place on your boat that has a constant source of clean air bubble free water flowing over it.  Any air bubbles and the sonar cannot read through it as most of the sonar energy gets reflected back by the air bubbles and little is left to go through the water bounce off the bottom and return again to the transducer (going through those air bubbles again).  So yes most of the time these sort of issues are installation related but that does not mean that we think you did something wrong as not all boats have that sweet spot that Chuck talked about – even two boats of the same make and model have enough differences in the hull sometimes so that one will work at W.O.T. and the other will not.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline exudedude

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2010, 07:53:59 AM »
HB Greg no offense meant, just was venting.  I bought  when it was still at full market price and have yet gotten to really enjoy it yet (6 months). Thanks for the explanation.  When you say lower do you mean below the transom  or  closer to center of the boat.

Also is there a longer mounting bracket for that transducer....I'm not really thrilled about drilling more holes in the boat.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 08:04:43 AM by exudedude »

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2010, 08:37:53 AM »
Getting the xducer lower in the water should improve the signal.  In years past xducers were located just above the bottom of the boat.  I find with the big foot xducer for Hb it works better when it sticks just below the boat. this does raise some concern if it hits something in the water due to it being more exposed.  I seem to remember the installation saying something about a swing out optiion if it hits something.  I will have to look back on this.  While a in hull xducer might be an addition this will add to the cost.  But it appears you are heading in the right direction to get on the water.  (finally).  Hope the frustration is diminishing also.  Chuck

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2010, 06:41:24 PM »
Exudedude,
I can understand about the frustration and all.  Just wanted you to know where they were coming from was all.

Yes lower meaning lower in the water where it is.  Moving closer to the center of the boat could possibly help as well.  Deep-Vee boats are more problematic for getting good high-speed depth readings on them than all but the aluminum and pontoon boats are and sometimes need several relocations before getting it right.  The best thing to try right now would be to try and view what the water looks like as it flows off the transom at different boat speeds.  You need to try and identify the area that has the least turbulent water (water with air mixed in will look white).

There is no other bracket for this transducer.  Some use what is called a transducer mounting plate to reduce the number of holes in the transom while trying to find the best location for their transducer.  You will have to check with your marine dealer for one of these or buy the nylon/delrin and make your own.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal