Author Topic: HB Greg and Experts - Smartstrike vs Autochart Pro vs Lakemaster Maps  (Read 9714 times)

Offline cats-n-craps

I am having a hard time figuring out which software is needed. I understand that I will need a Zeroline card no matter what to get maps back onto the unit.

I bought an Onix 10 SI. I want to make detailed maps of my favorite lake that I fish the most. I also want to learn to use as many features of the Onix as possible. I have never had more than a very basic ff.

I like the idea of Smartstrike. In reading as much as I can find it appears that it comes on an actual map card so I assume that means the same maps as if I just bought the Lakemaster map card.

I would like to make my own detailed maps and use those with Smartstrike. It appears that in order to get the bottom hardness I would need to purchase the Autochart Pro so the pc can process the data and create a map. It appears that the free autochart software that comes with Onix now only has some basic functions and doesn't include hardness. Not sure if the Onix now comes with pc software.

So, do I need to purchase both the Smartstrike software and the Autochart Pro software? At that point I think that I end up with two of the zeroline cards but not sure. Can I do everything I want just by purchasing the Smartstrike?

I appreciate any advice you can provide on what I need to purchase to take full advantage of the system.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 08:57:03 PM by cats-n-craps »

Offline Trytoofish

• Unit(s): Onix 8, 998HD, 798HD, Ice 55
  • Software: 2.0, 7.51,
  • Accessories: Cannonlink,Eithernet,Mag 20, Ipilot Link
Re: HB Greg and Experts - Smartstrike vs Autochart Pro vs Lakemaster Maps
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 07:15:28 AM »
AutoChart is required to make maps. SmartStrike is for analyzing Lakemaster High Definition(HD) lakes So if you want to do both , you would need both products. Smartstrike is the same thing as Contour Elite that is available for your PC. It just allows you to do in on the Onix or/and on the water.
Try Too Fish  Forced To Work

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 03:28:43 PM »
Trytoofish is correct but I would add that AutoChart generated maps would not work with the SmartStrike features nor Contour Elite maps.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline cats-n-craps

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 04:23:52 PM »
Thanks Trytoofish and Greg for the feedback. I am a little confused. If an autochart map is basically a personal Lakemaster map in Lakemaster format why would the Smartstrike not work with it? In the description it sounds like Smartstrike is merely a program that runs algorithms against the data in a Lakemaster map.

If I understand your response correctly then I need to decide if I want to create my own detailed map or if I want Smartstrike. Sounds like I cannot use both at the same time.

Offline Trytoofish

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 04:58:05 PM »
I think the question is Do you fish water without any type of mapping?? If so Autochart would be my first choice. If you dont fish water mapped by Lakemaster  then smart strike would be of no value to you.

Offline cats-n-craps

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 05:53:35 PM »
Thanks Trytoofish. Right now I fish primarily on Lake Lavon which Lakemaster has listed as an HD lake. I thought that the autochart thing would be neat so I could gather even more details from my lake and have it overlay or somehow use it with the Lakemaster map. Frankly I am probably way overthinking this thing and trying to run before I walk. I  was just so excited about the ONIX and everything that it will do that I am trying to buy/add features before I really even know how to use it.

Sounds like my best bet it to just get the Smartstrike and learn how to read the fish finder and use it well before I worry about making maps and other things. I am what most would call a technology geek always needing the latest and greatest of everything but the FF realm is new to me as I have always just fished based on what I observe and the weather patterns. I am thinking that the new FF will really help me up my game and learn how to go after some other species of fish. Plus I am hoping to find all of those hidden brush piles and structures in my lake where I can find the cats and crappie.

Last question, I think, if I buy the Samrtstrike software do I still need to buy a version of Lakemaster maps or do the same maps come with the Smartstrike package?

Offline Trytoofish

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 06:01:05 PM »
The smartstrike has the same stuff as the standard lakemaster.here is a list of whats on the mid south card.

http://www.humminbird.com/uploadedFiles/Site_Assets/manuals/Product_Manuals_from_Shopatron/SS_MidSouth_v1_v2HB_2014.pdf

Offline cats-n-craps

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 09:12:49 PM »
Thanks Trytoofish! I had read over this before but after the explanations it makes more sense. I have decided to go with the Smartstrike.

Thank you both for your help!!!

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 09:15:51 AM »
Thanks Trytoofish and Greg for the feedback. I am a little confused. If an autochart map is basically a personal Lakemaster map in Lakemaster format why would the Smartstrike not work with it? In the description it sounds like Smartstrike is merely a program that runs algorithms against the data in a Lakemaster map.

You may be correct about this but it only runs the program against the map data on the SmartStrike card, not any other map source.

"where I can find the cats and crappie" - well now you online name makes sense to me!
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo