Author Topic: 998 Image  (Read 14453 times)

Offline HookonFishN

• Unit(s): 798C SI/998C SI
  • Software: 5.7
998 Image
« on: March 17, 2012, 01:17:09 AM »
Im still in the learning phase of my units and like to know if anyone thinks this is a fish in this image or just another stump in the lake.

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
Re: 998 Image
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 02:39:36 AM »
Looks like it could be something sticking up off the bottom.  But it does look like the smaller object to the side could be a fish hanging around.

The image looks great.  Keep up the good work and post more for us to see!

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 10:02:38 AM »
It appears yuu were right on top of something sticking up from the bottom. The shadow suggests a small tree/stump/clump of brush.
You will see that when you run right over an object with the center of the boat that the object shows in DI but only the shadow in SI unless the object leans out or is bending over..
The 2d suggest some fish around the mark..
As Robert said.  Great picture.  Keep showing us the fine work..

Chuck

Offline HookonFishN

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 12:00:45 AM »
Thanks guys still trying to get the hang of this SI.

Offline newkid4si

• Unit(s): 998c si
  • Software: v 5.70
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 01:10:06 AM »
HookonFishN,
     I vote for both. Starting with the 2D image, I think the object attached to the bottom just left of the 7.5 is either a stump or rock.
     Next to and almost touching it and also about 1/2" above, I think are two fish.
     Moving over to the expanded box in the SI image, I think the higher fish is shown as the larger white mark in the water column ( black area ) casting the larger shadow.
     The fish closest to the object is shown as the smaller white mark and smaller shadow because it's closer to the bottom.
     The stump/rock probably was directly under the boat and is hidden in the water column in SI but seen in 2D.

Offline HookonFishN

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 09:00:23 PM »
I would say your correct about the stump this is Reelfoot Lake and its full of stumps and the fish of target were crappie, Reelfoot is known for nice crappie. That could be whats swimming around the stump.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 10:16:35 AM »
Stumps are a good possibility.  I can remember fishing this lake years ago and having to deal with the stumps. Also the troughs and varying depths.
Not real deep but the bottom would change quickly.
I guess this is still part of the legacy of the new madrid fault and the backflow from the mississippi.
But it made a great lake..
As you get about take some more snapshots and post them here in the media (gallery) section..

chuck

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 12:56:29 PM »
HookonFishN,
     I vote for both. Starting with the 2D image, I think the object attached to the bottom just left of the 7.5 is either a stump or rock.
     Next to and almost touching it and also about 1/2" above, I think are two fish.
     Moving over to the expanded box in the SI image, I think the higher fish is shown as the larger white mark in the water column ( black area ) casting the larger shadow.
     The fish closest to the object is shown as the smaller white mark and smaller shadow because it's closer to the bottom.
     The stump/rock probably was directly under the boat and is hidden in the water column in SI but seen in 2D.

+1

Next time try bring in the SI Range when you are in that water depth and you will be able to see a little more detail in the Si sonar.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 02:27:47 PM »
changing distance will work for side to side but if it is under the boat and in the water column it will be hard to see on SI unless it protudes out to the side.
This looks like a straight up stump.
See his 2D and DI pictures.

Chuck

Offline HookonFishN

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 08:30:08 PM »
+1

Next time try bring in the SI Range when you are in that water depth and you will be able to see a little more detail in the Si sonar.
I will give it a try it just might be more helpful also so since I was spider rigging for crappie. I have been recording my trips and I still have my recording from my recent images I posted if i'm correct I should be able to do this in play back mode correct me if i'm wrong.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 08:36:57 PM by HookonFishN »

Offline HookonFishN

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 08:33:37 PM »
Take a look at these images I thought it may be a bait ball but like I say i'm still in the learning phase comments anyone.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 08:38:20 PM by HookonFishN »

Offline newkid4si

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 11:06:37 PM »
HookonFishN
   I noticed in your last images that your boat speed is 0.4mph. I know you need this for spider rigging.
   You would need to set the chart speed at 1. That is as slow as can be set. 1 to 10 is the range.
   At 0.4 mph and a chart speed of 2 or 3, those white lines in the left side of the SI is how stumps could appear. Stretched out top to bottom but not left to right.

Greg gave you a good tip about bringing your SI range in.
   Form the 2D image, it appears your in about 6' with the SI set at 100'.
   Try bringing the SI range in to 3 to 4 times your depth. ie... 20' to 25'... ( I like to work in 5's. )
   I think you will have an easier time with understanding the image. At 100', the image is compressed so much that it is difficult interpret.

I do agree with you that is probably a bait ball.

Offline HookonFishN

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 11:38:56 PM »
HookonFishN
   I noticed in your last images that your boat speed is 0.4mph. I know you need this for spider rigging.
   You would need to set the chart speed at 1. That is as slow as can be set. 1 to 10 is the range.
   At 0.4 mph and a chart speed of 2 or 3, those white lines in the left side of the SI is how stumps could appear. Stretched out top to bottom but not left to right.

Greg gave you a good tip about bringing your SI range in.
   Form the 2D image, it appears your in about 6' with the SI set at 100'.
   Try bringing the SI range in to 3 to 4 times your depth. ie... 20' to 25'... ( I like to work in 5's. )
   I think you will have an easier time with understanding the image. At 100', the image is compressed so much that it is difficult interpret.

I do agree with you that is probably a bait ball.
Yes, I was trolling and I had the chart speed set a 1 on both units, matching my boat speed and chart speed is about all i'm capable of at this time.

Offline HookonFishN

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 01:14:53 AM »
I'm up with nothing else to do but try and figure out some things on my unit so I went out and adjusted my SI range and took some more images. In images 68 & 69 it looks as if I see a shadow but can't tell what's causing it and wanted to know if anyone see anything in it. The other images looks like it could be bait balls or maybe a stump. Their is so many stumps in this lake is why I second guess what i'm seeing. Also I noticed when I went out my readout for my speed was not displayed and i'm wondering why earlier today it was but later its not allowing me to display a speed. I updated the software a few days ago could it be that its just now taking effect and not letting me display a speed in my readout.

Offline HookonFishN

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 01:21:03 AM »
Looks like it could be something sticking up off the bottom.  But it does look like the smaller object to the side could be a fish hanging around.

The image looks great.  Keep up the good work and post more for us to see!

Robert
I posted more for you to see let me know what you think.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 02:26:40 AM »
after the update you may have to go back and set your desired displays for readouts...
The picture looks like a floating object.  bait ball or debris.

when you see this on the screen run by it again and from a little farther away distance instead of under the boat..

Chuck 

Offline HookonFishN

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 09:34:42 AM »
after the update you may have to go back and set your desired displays for readouts...
The picture looks like a floating object.  bait ball or debris.

when you see this on the screen run by it again and from a little farther away distance instead of under the boat..

Chuck
Since the update I have set the readouts, if you notice in images 64-66 that the speed is on those images and they were taken after the update from the same recordings 2 days apart. I was going over my recordings yesterday and the speed was still on. Once I went out last night and adjusted the SI range I noticed it doesn't give me speed as a option anymore, and that's not just one readout its all of them.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 01:34:28 PM »
Try setting the menus back to the factory defaults by using the Restore Defaults menu.  You didn’t select to hide the readouts on your 998 unit did you?

Offline newkid4si

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 10:47:16 PM »
HookonFishN
    Your are doing a great job. You have the #1 qualification to understand your unit, a desire to learn.

Images 68 & 69. I'm going to take a round about way to answer, so bear with me.
    In the DI view things get tricky. You can have three different displays based on the beam selection. ( in sonar settings )
        The choices:   narrow= 1.25 x depth.   20 fow = 25' scan
                             medium= 1.5 x depth.   20 fow = 30' scan
                             wide= 2.5 x depth.        20 fow = 50' scan ( this is the default setting )
                             Your depth is 5', so depending on the setting, the scan could be 6.25, 7.5, or 12.5'
                             This information was posted by Robert some time ago.
   Now to the images. The white marks in the SI view indicate something hard.
                                The shadow indicates something with some height off the bottom. If it were flat or buried, there wouldn't be a shadow.
                                Why doesn't it show up in DI? 
                                I have NO clue! You would certainly think it would show. The cursor shows the target 9.3' to the side. Maybe it was set to narrow or medium.
                                I have had this happen to me so many times, I just expect it now.  Unless you have a dedicated DI transducer, all bets are off. If you see something... fine.
                                Not that you won't see it, just be aware this can and will happen. I have had great DI images at times.

Offline HookonFishN

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 02:26:58 PM »
Try setting the menus back to the factory defaults by using the Restore Defaults menu.  You didn’t select to hide the readouts on your 998 unit did you?
Restored factory defaults and that did it. I must not have did it after installing the update because I now see the option for casting rings.

Offline HookonFishN

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 02:32:39 PM »
HookonFishN
    Your are doing a great job. You have the #1 qualification to understand your unit, a desire to learn.

Images 68 & 69. I'm going to take a round about way to answer, so bear with me.
    In the DI view things get tricky. You can have three different displays based on the beam selection. ( in sonar settings )
        The choices:   narrow= 1.25 x depth.   20 fow = 25' scan
                             medium= 1.5 x depth.   20 fow = 30' scan
                             wide= 2.5 x depth.        20 fow = 50' scan ( this is the default setting )
                             Your depth is 5', so depending on the setting, the scan could be 6.25, 7.5, or 12.5'
                             This information was posted by Robert some time ago.
   Now to the images. The white marks in the SI view indicate something hard.
                                The shadow indicates something with some height off the bottom. If it were flat or buried, there wouldn't be a shadow.
                                Why doesn't it show up in DI? 
                                I have NO clue! You would certainly think it would show. The cursor shows the target 9.3' to the side. Maybe it was set to narrow or medium.
                                I have had this happen to me so many times, I just expect it now.  Unless you have a dedicated DI transducer, all bets are off. If you see something... fine.
                                Not that you won't see it, just be aware this can and will happen. I have had great DI images at times.

Well you did loose me their a little because I hadn't got that far into it and didn't want to ask any question on it just yet because its part of my next thing to study up on and I wanted to read up on it again. Now, since you already brought it up some of the things that I want to  become familiar with are RTS window, Zoom Width, and DI Beam width. I don't know how these effect my readings and I am looking for knowledge on these three things.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 02:34:46 PM by HookonFishN »

Offline newkid4si

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 11:46:25 PM »
HookonFishN
      I didn't mean to get ahead of you. I felt that I needed to give the background information on the DI display to help make sense of why sometimes the image doesn't appear
      like you think it should. When Robert put the numbers with the narrow, medium, and wide choices, it helped me understand what I was looking at.

Offline HookonFishN

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 05:48:38 AM »
HookonFishN
      I didn't mean to get ahead of you. I felt that I needed to give the background information on the DI display to help make sense of why sometimes the image doesn't appear
      like you think it should. When Robert put the numbers with the narrow, medium, and wide choices, it helped me understand what I was looking at.
I watched Doug Vahrenberg's videos on HB units and I think I remember something in those videos on these topics. I think i'm going watch those videos again since i'm seeing some light at the end of the tunnel they may make more since to me now. I would appreciate any other info I could get on these topics also.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 09:04:53 AM »
RTS Window – Real Time Sonar; also know as an A-scope view.  Basically this is the raw sonar readings from the receiver.  This has very little filtering done to it and can be updated at up to 40X per second (based on water depth).  This is like an older mechanical flasher except that the display is shown in a straight vertical presentation.  It has two modes: the black lines which show sonar signal strength by distance (the longer the line the stronger the sonar return, the shorter the line the weaker the sonar return) and the color lines which show sonar return signal strength by the color palette selected.

Zoom Width – this varies the size of the zoom window that is shown in the Sonar Zoom View.

DI Beam Width – This is a little more complex and not completely understood – by me at least.  The Di sonar in the Side Imaging units is taken from the Si sonar beam data.  This menu allows you to select just how much of the Si sonar information gets displayed.  The “Narrow” menu setting displays just the Si sonar data that is common in both the left and right Si sonar beams.  The “Wide” setting displays all of the left and right Si sonar data.  The “Medium” displays the left and right Si sonar data somewhere in between the other two menu settings (this is the part that I do not understand).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo