Author Topic: SI Transducer Questions  (Read 6974 times)

Offline secretweapons

• Unit(s): 978ci SI
  • Software: 5.210
  • Accessories: None
SI Transducer Questions
« on: March 02, 2011, 12:57:00 AM »
I am new to the forum and like most newbies I have numerous questions concerning the installation of the SI transducer. 

I have a Nitro 640 with NO jack plate and the hull is stepped.  I understand that if I mount the transducer on the transom as the instructions suggest, the motor will block the view on the port side.  The other problem with this location is the position of the lift strikes.  In order to maintain the 15 inches that they suggest, the transducer will be in the wake of the lift strike or in danger of hitting the bunk when loading and unloading the boat. 

I have reviewed other posts and many suggest mounting under the jack plate.  Since my boat does not have one, this eliminates this possiblity.  Other posts suggest that the transducer be placed on the step next to the drain.   I  also like this idea, as the step on my boat is level and it makes sense that the transducer would get a good view from that location.  I also think the transducer would be well protected from debris at this location.  I am concerned about the turbulance that the main hull will create, however.  Some of the posts suggest that this is a real problem but only at high speeds and suggest a second transducer installation to allow me to use the finder at high speeds.  This makes some sense to me as well I guess.   

I do have some questions though that I have not seen addressed in any of these posts.  Humminbird has two flavors of SI transducers.  The one that comes standard with the unit mounts to the transom or with an adapter can be mounted to the trolling motor.  The other one is a thru hull version.  It seems to me that the thru hull version would work best mounted in the step location.  I have not seen anyone talk about this being a good solution here, however.  I have also noted that the many posts covering this subject talk about issues with the transom mount version being set to the correct angle.  I don't think the angle is adjustable on the thru hull version.  That may be why no one talks about using this transducer at this location.  So what is a guy to do? 

If two transducers are the answer for my boat, do I need 2 SI transducers, or can the one that I use when running on plane be one without SI?  If I need 2 transducers and both should be SI transom mount type, where do I place the one that I intend to use when I am running on plane?   I think I have ruled out the transom idea earlier.  A thru hull mount might work for this application, but as far as I know it is only available in a SI version.  If SI does not work at high speeds, then what is the point? 

I'll bet you have never met anyone who is so confused.  I just want an installation plan that has a pretty good chance at success.  I don't want to be drilling a bunch of holes in my hull trying tro make this thing work.  I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can offer.  I am really anxious to get this thing installed so I can get out there and give it a try.

I have attached a couple of photos that hopefully will help.ila_renderedila_rendered

I also noted on the documentation I recieved from Humminbird that you can exchange your transducer for one that will work better with my installation needs and only pay the difference.  Has any one been able to take advantage of this?  I sent an inquiry email and have not heard back from them in two days. 

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
Re: SI Transducer Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 01:25:22 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  The thru hull is not going to really be a good option for a bass boat installation.  Typically they are used on inboards where the transdcuer would be behind the prop and have issues with turbulence from the prop wash.

You are gonna have to decide if you want to go to a dual transducer setup.  Not 2 SI transdcuers, but an SI transdcuer and a traditional in-hull 2d sonar transdcuer for readings at higher speeds.

If you mount the SI transdcuer on the transom under the motor mount (up on the step) then you will definitely lose high speed 2d soanr readings.  If you mount it down on the lower part of the step near the drain plug, you will most likely get good readings all around, but the transdcuer is more exposed to possible damage from stumps, or even when trailering.

Based on what I see with your trailer, the lower step may not even be real option.

Hope that helps,

Robert 
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline secretweapons

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 10:18:35 PM »
Thanks, Robert.  That clears up quite a bit for me.  I will abondon the thru hull idea.  I think that I will look at mounting the transducer in the step area just to the right of the drain and the intakes for the recirc. pump for the live wells.  I guess there will be some exposure to debris but I am hoping the step itself will offer some protecdtion. 

I am not sure I understand the proper place to attach the transducer, however.  Should I mount it to the verticle section of the step or to the bottom of the hull back a short distance from the step?  Should the transducer hang below the actual level of the bottom of the boat or can I tuck it up a bit to protect it from debris sliding down the hull?   My hull actuall has 2 steps.  I have attached a picture with 4 ila_renderedsquares noting what I think might be good spots to place the transducer.  Any recommendations? 

I am also wondering about your comment concerning the second transducer.  Is there aanother transducer that will work on the 987 that only contains the 20 and 60 degree cones?  Is this transducer one that you can epoxy to the inside of the hull and it will shoot through it without drilling any holes?  If this is what you were recommending, do you have a part number by chance?

Thanks agin Robert.  I really appreciate the help.ila_renderedila_rendered

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 03:21:10 PM »
secretweapons,
I would look at mounting the 987’s transducer at the location shown by the second square from the top and offset to the side so that it is not right in front of the motor.  This will give it a little protection and you should not have to trim your motor up a lot so that the left Si beam does not get blocked.

For the inside-the-hull transducer you could go with the XP-9-20 200/83kHz DualBeam transducer but your 987 will not be able to use the 83kHz part of this transducer.  Instead look at getting he XP-9-DB-74-T 200/50kHz Dual Beam transducer as it has both the 200kHz and 50kHz frequency capabilities that your 987 has.  Which ever transducer you end up getting; connect it and the 987’s transducer to the unit with the AS-Si-DB-Y transducer splitter cable.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline secretweapons

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 11:50:08 PM »
Thanks for the advise.  I think you have given me enough information now that I can go ahead and install the transducer(s).  I really appreciate your time and effort.

I'll let you know how it all works out.

Thanks again.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo