Author Topic: Recording/Track/Waypoint software  (Read 5520 times)

Offline mdc45

Recording/Track/Waypoint software
« on: March 24, 2013, 01:32:09 PM »
I wrote some software for my own use to create and export tracks and waypoints from HB recordings, and once it was finished I figured I'd share it.  You can read more and download at
http://webpages.charter.net/mcuster/maptools

I haven't had a chance to test it with other units than the one I own so if you use it, I'd appreciate letting me know it worked and what unit/software version you used it with.

Offline strawdg

Re: Recording/Track/Waypoint software
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 02:56:37 PM »
Hmmmmmm web site doesn't work using Firefox..... Must have Windoze IE specific coding ..... guess I won't be testing it.... :'(

Edit: works fine with Firefox running under Linux..... Need to get my SO to quit booting the computer under Windoze... >:D

Straw
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 03:14:51 PM by strawdg »

Offline strawdg

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 03:43:49 PM »
Got it.... However I see it was coded for 6.57 data files....

No way I'm updating my 998 to that garbage.....

Will keep and test when HB finally gets their firmware sorted to the point that it looks like it is semi bug free....

Thanks, looking forward to playing with it.....

Straw

Offline mdc45

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 03:59:41 PM »
I'm fairly sure it will also work with recordings made by older software versions, I just haven't had the opportunity to test it and never had an 'official' file format description to work from... The track and waypoint stuff should work with any version (I think the only variation might be older versions don't support the full list of waypoint icons).

Offline strawdg

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 04:06:21 PM »
I'm fairly sure it will also work with recordings made by older software versions, I just haven't had the opportunity to test it and never had an 'official' file format description to work from... The track and waypoint stuff should work with any version (I think the only variation might be older versions don't support the full list of waypoint icons).

Good point, just know that 6.57 and later files don't work with Humviewer.... But quite likely you are right and waypoints may not have been messed with.

Will probably give it a try when I decide to boot up my SO's Windoze virus machine.....

Thanks again for your efforts...

Straw

Offline Kim Christiansen

• Kim Christiansen
    • Danas Have Denmark
  • Unit(s): 798ci SI HD Combo
  • Software: 6.250
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 04:37:32 PM »
Hello mdc45

Thanks for the program, it is a good idea.

I downloaded your program, but I can not open some of the possibilities, I receive an error message.

Please send me your e-mail address so I can the send the error description to you.

I'm using Win XP and unit 798ci SI HD new Ver. 6,610

Sincerely,
Kim Christiansen
above the clouds the sun always shines !!!

Offline mdc45

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 05:11:41 PM »
There is "contact" link at the bottom of the webpage you can email the error info there.

Offline mdc45

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 05:27:53 PM »
I uploaded a new version to the site in the original post with:
-  fix to the problem Kim C. found above (related to international number formatting with a comma instead of period for decimal point)
- option to show distances in feet or meters, under General settings menu (since I hadn't really thought about international users)
- option to show the area currently covered in the SI window, along with an option to automatically shift the map to keep that area in view (based on some feedback that it was hard to tell where the recording view was in relation to tracks and waypoints you had already made)
- option to auto-create tracks or waypoints so as soon as you finish drawing you get prompted to assign track or waypoint (because some didn't like the separate step)
- added a brief user guide pdf you can download

Also I've been able to get some older recording files and confirm that it works with previous versions of the .son record headers (62, 67, and 72 bytes which as far as I know is all of them).  XTF files can also be loaded.

If you have already installed the previous version you will need to uninstall before installing the update...Uninstalling WILL NOT lose any of the data you had created with the program.

I don't expect to update again until next winter unless a major problem is found - I'll be busy the next few weeks, and after that all my free time will be spent on the water.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo