Author Topic: 788ci issues, help, losing hair.  (Read 11771 times)

Offline caffeineforall

788ci issues, help, losing hair.
« on: June 17, 2012, 06:57:33 PM »
I bought the unit just a few months ago, and have updated the unit per HB site.

I was having an issue where I would press the mark button, and it will shut down the entire unit. I restored default settings, and problem solved. This was before I updated the unit.

If I messed with my menu settings, the problem would resurface. So I updated the unit, and all was well in the world, until I started messing with the settings. Now the problem is worse, if I don't have everything at default settings, the unit will shut off when I press the mark key.

If I do change the settings, they DO NOT save. Each time I start up the unit, it asks me to set the settings for fresh water, etc. Also all the units are in metric. Every startup I have to plow through the menus and change all the settings around.

I haven't contacted hbird yet, but I will on monday, in the mean time, has this happened to anyone else?

Offline Roddy

• Scan,scan and rescan
  • Unit(s): 797c2, 947c,987SI/DI,570di,1198,1155,Ip
  • Accessories: wx/Tow Fish,Drop Cam's,ROV''s
Re: 788ci issues, help, losing hair.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 10:43:32 AM »
Return the unit to HB for exchange of unit by NEW SN#! Call HB and check into exchanging the Unit. Roddy
Scan,Scan and Rescan Roddy

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 01:45:41 PM »
Don’t know if you have called Humminbird yet or not…
What software version is the unit running right now?
Is this a 788ci or a 788ci HD model?

If you have the newer 6.250 or 6.300 software on your unit; look under the Setup menu tab for the “Format Nav Directory” menu.  Export your waypoints, routes and tracks before using this feature, but export them and than try formatting the Nav directories and see if that helps.  If it does not help than call the Humminbird Customer Resource folks.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline caffeineforall

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 03:19:51 PM »
It says just ci on it, so I dont think its the HD. But when booting up it say csxi? lol.

I am running 6.3, so I will try formatting the nav and see if that helps.

Will be calling HB CS tomorrow if it doesnt.

Offline caffeineforall

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 09:00:43 PM »
Didn't help.

I also read on a different forum that I may have the international update, rather than just a US version?

Would this cause an issue?

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 07:36:56 AM »
If the unit is a not ann international model then the international update should not even start to install.
CI usually says internal antenna.  However an X says international model.
I would call HB support and give them the serial number and ask what model do you have..

Chuck

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 09:54:01 AM »
Does it show the model name with the “X” when you power it on?

You cannot load the international software update on a unit and it change to an international version unit.  It is either programmed that way when it is made or not.  I think that your unit needs to go back to Humminbird as something is not right with it.

Offline caffeineforall

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 10:49:47 AM »
When I bought it new, I do not believe it said the CXi on startup, it also started up with MPH/Feet etc. However after I would mess with some different settings the unit would shut down when pressing the mark key. It would stop if restored to defaults. So I though, I should update it. After I updated because pressing the mark button shut the unit down, it definitely says CXi (not csxi or whatever I first put), it boots up in KPH/Meters etc. It will mark locations if settings are left alone, but if I change it out to MPH/Feet, it shuts down when pressing the mark key.

Is there a couple of older updates I may be able to try after I get through to CS? Also the CS line is busy? I've never had that happen before.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 11:32:12 AM »
You can try an older software update if you want.  Just check the downloads section of this web site and see if there are any.  If not, just shoot me a direct e-mail and I can send it out to you – just be sure to correctly state the full model name and what software version you are wanting.  Caution though: loading a version older than what the unit was built with could cause the unit to not work at all.  So do not load an older version that what came on the unit.  I would only go back one software version if you do not know what originally came on it.  The last software version was 5.840

Offline caffeineforall

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 01:05:13 PM »
got through to CS, they are going to exchange the unit.

FWIW it actually "locked up" now. Boots up, then shuts down, repeat.

Offline gwraith

• Unit(s): 788ci
  • Software: 5.840
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 01:53:14 PM »
Purchased my 788ci on June 6 and used it for the first time this past weekend.  Experience the identical issues as stated hear.  To add insult to injury it seems I have the domestic model and not the international version even though I purchased and use the unit in Canada.  HB has been contacted and are looking into the problems.  The customer support line was very busy.  When I finally got through I spoke with someone who had very limited technical knowledge. She put me on hold to talk to her supervisor.  After 20 minutes she came back only to tell me that her supervisors door was closed and she would have to get back to me.  Promised me a response within an hour.  That was two hours ago.  Have used Lowrance products for 25 years.  Was convinced to try Humminbird by a friend.  So far not impressed.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 02:50:24 PM »
gwraith,
If you do not get a call back, than please direct e-mail me your name and a phone number that someone can call you back at tomorrow.  I will make sure that someone calls you.  Not sure how this will work though with you being in another country as you should be working through your local Humminbird retailer.

Offline caffeineforall

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 03:41:19 PM »
Stick with them, you may get a free upgrade out of the deal.

They also are trying to get a unit back to me faster and are going to ship me one before receiving the defective one. On top of that, I believe I am being upgraded to the HD unit as well.

So far I feel real good about the CS over at HB.

Offline Roddy

• Scan,scan and rescan
  • Unit(s): 797c2, 947c,987SI/DI,570di,1198,1155,Ip
  • Accessories: wx/Tow Fish,Drop Cam's,ROV''s
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 03:46:22 AM »
Is she ever going to stop putting people on hold and not returning the call as promised? At least she could read the tech manual!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 09:11:44 AM by sonar2000 »
Scan,Scan and Rescan Roddy

Offline gwraith

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 05:23:21 PM »
Well after waiting 30+ hours and no reply from HB customer service I called back today.  Talked to a different rep who checked my file.  Seems I am out of luck with regard to the International Units issue.  Even though I have a system that was not meant to be sold outside the US  it happened.  No explanation from CS.  With regards to the unit shutting down evertime the Mark button is pressed she offered several causes including user error, bad data and corrupt waypoints.  When I mentioned that I was not the only one having the issue she had no comment.  With holidays starting in 10 days and a fishing trip planned I am running out of options.  Will return to the selling dealer to see if I can excange the unit for the International version or reutrn it so I can buy another brand.  Too bad because I do like the unit but am a little disappointed with the quality of support.  Greg do you have any suggestions.

Offline caffeineforall

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 06:36:02 PM »
They overnighted me a replacement, a newer replacement at that. 788ci to 788ci HD. About to update/hook it up and see if it works.

gwraith, not sure what you are doing different from me, but HB went above and beyond. Explain to them your situation and I bet they help.

Offline caffeineforall

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 06:51:30 PM »
So far so good, time to box up the old one and ship it out in the morning!

Offline gwraith

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 08:00:13 PM »
Still having issues with my Humminbird rebooting when I press the Mark button to record a waypoint.  During my last conversation with Humminbird they suggested several things to try.  Will give it a go this weekend when I return to the cottage where my boat is..  Wish me luck.

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 07:05:33 PM »
Still having issues with my Humminbird rebooting when I press the Mark button to record a waypoint.  During my last conversation with Humminbird they suggested several things to try.  Will give it a go this weekend when I return to the cottage where my boat is..  Wish me luck.

Do you have snapshot mode turned on?  If you do, the unit will try to save the waypoint to the SD card.  If you don't have an SD card in the unit to write to, that will cause problems.
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline gwraith

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 07:00:56 AM »
Bob:  Yes I do have an SD card in the unit but will try a second one just in case the first is no good.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 02:33:27 PM »
gwaith,
Contact your local Humminbird dealer and see about getting your 788ci unit in for servicing.

Offline gwraith

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 08:04:02 AM »
Greg:  I spoke to the sales rep at the store where I purchased my Humminbird.  He was willing to return my unit for service/replacement but suggested it might be quicker for me to deal with Humminbird directly.  During my last conversation with your company they provided several suggestions to try to remedy the problem.  Will give them a try this weekend when we return to the cottage.  Will let you know how things go next week.  Thanks!!!!

Offline greatlakes

• Software: 5.85
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 12:11:34 PM »
bought my 788ci two week ago.  used the mark button and the system rebooted.  called hb they told me to send it back for repair.so  i wanted to take it back to gander mtn to get a exchange but they no longer carry them. this suck! buy a brand new 788ci and it needs repair! when my fishing trip is two days away that is the reason i spent all the money for my fishing trip vaction .called hb back to see if i could get alittle  discount on a788cihd because that is what gander mtd had in stock. told me no.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo