Author Topic: automaticlly turns off  (Read 3699 times)

Offline bassin101

• Unit(s): 1
automaticlly turns off
« on: May 19, 2013, 07:17:47 AM »
I have a 798ci HD SI Combo and my recent trip it automatically started to turn itself off. I'm thinking it my be a bad power conection. I was wondering if anyone knows what the problem might be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: automaticlly turns off
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 01:27:04 PM »
basson101,
There are several things that can cause this: interruption of power to the unit or low power are the main ones.

How is the unit connected to the battery, is this by direct wires or through the boat’s electrical wiring?

Is this happening along with some other event like when you hit a big wave or when you start the boat motor?

Some things to try and/or check:
Make sure that the power cable is correctly seated into the unit mount.  When you press on the power connector with your finger it should not move downwards or around in its holder.

Check all electrical connections to be sure that none are loose or corroded.  Be sure to check that the fuse is tight in its holder and is not corroded too.

Try very slightly bending the gold pins in the power cable away from each other.  By slight here I mean so little that you cannot see the difference.  This can add more or an interference fit between the pins of the power cable and the sockets of the unit.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline bassin101

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 12:10:12 PM »
Hey Greg,
Thanks for the reply. When I got off the water and put the charger on the battery it took awhile to get it fully charged so I'm inclined to believe that it was due to a low battery like you said. I'll find out for sure the next trip out.

Offline bassin101

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 10:01:36 PM »
Well, I finally got a chance to try the unit out with a fully charged battery and the unit still shuts down after a few minutes. When the unit does run the screen wants to freeze up and the only way to get it going again is to disconect the power. I'm ready to deep 6 this thing.

Offline short grub

• Unit(s): 1198 SI combo, 1159 DI combo
  • Software: latest
  • Accessories: terrova 80lb w/I*lLink 360transmt
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 10:36:02 PM »
bass my 1198 does the same thing or will get a white screen, only thing I can do to get away from the white is to unplug it for about 2 minutes not sure what is going it happens at the helm and the bow, mine is wired to it own battery also so not sure

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 09:22:36 AM »
bassin101,
You didn’t happen to get your battery load tested did you?
How is the unit connected to the battery: through the boat’s electrical system or with its own wiring straight to the battery (through an in-line fuse)?
Did you check all electrical connections to see if they were loose or corroded?
Try testing your unit on someone else’s boat to see if it does the same thing or not.  This does not have to be another 798ci HD Si unit as any Humminbird model will work for this test (can even be done while the boat is on the trailer).
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo