Author Topic: 998c si combo and 798c si combo - interlink problem  (Read 16231 times)

Offline smallie690vs

• Unit(s): Helix 10 & 12 MSI+ G3N
  • Software: v2.18 on both
998c si combo and 798c si combo - interlink problem
« on: June 26, 2011, 01:24:51 AM »
i did a forum search for recent interlink connectivity problems, but did not find one that matched my exact situation.  therefore i'll post it here, and hopefully someone can assist. 

current equipment installation list: 
998c si combo - connected to interlink port 1
(998c si combo connected to gps puck via Y-cable) 
798c si combo - connected to interlink port 2 
gps port on interlink is empty/unused
998 has software v5.500
798 has software v5.450

and also, here is a current discussion that i am having with humminbird customer service (read the post backwards from the bottom up): 

i'm hoping someone on the forum has seen this behavior before, and can respond faster than the answers i'm receiving from cust serv. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the response, but my problem still persists. 

i did execute the procedure described below (essentially forcing a sync to the interlink with null data from a one of the head units), unfortunately this did not fix my interlink connection problem. 

let me describe in further detail what i have found so far: 

i tried the procedure by clearing the nav data from the 998 head unit, to no avail.  (my nav data is still saved on a separate SD memory card, and also on the other 798 head unit) 

if each unit is turned on separately (i.e. 998 on, 798 off, interlink still plugged into both units) - the single unit successfully connects to the interlink, and data can be shared.  the interlink status display shows that all data (waypoints for example) show up on both the head unit and network module (for example - head/998 and network/interlink). 

however, the problem occurs when the second unit (798) is powered on and tries to join the network (consisting of the interlink and first powered-on unit-998). 

the 2nd unit fails to maintain a connection with the interlink (at first the accessory test screen shows interlink-connected, but within seconds automatically disconnects.  any attempt to try and reconnect to the interlink generates the error "interlink accessory disconnected.  participation cancelled"). 

after powering off the 2nd unit, and re-trying the connection again, sometimes the interlink does not even show up on the second unit accessory menu (the interlink status pull down menu is not available because it is not visible - therefore you cannot even select to participate with the interlink). 

i even tried to swap the cables that run from the head units to the interlink module (ports 1 and 2).  the problem did not follow the swapped ports on the interlink module, but simply repeated the same failed 2nd head unit connection scenario as described above. 

it does seem that both units are operating correctly when the other head unit is turned off - communication between a single head unit and interlink works ok (connection established, connection maintained, data shared, data shown successfully sync'ed)   

so far i'm thinking that the problem may be the interlink module (which is still within the 1 yr warranty period).   both of the head units are also still under warrantly.

please advise on next steps. 

Rich

To:
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 1:18 PM
Subject: RE: Contact Us

Dear Mr.

Thank you for contacting Humminbird Customer Service.

Please try to reset the interlink per below instructions:

Check the Interlink status screen and note the number of waypoints and routes in the Interlink, Shared (unit 1
and unit 2) and Locked (unit 1 and Unit 2). You may find that the Interlink and both units show exactly the same number of waypoints and routes. Or, one may show a different value but you are
still being asked to the merge the data each time the unit is turned on. If this does happen it would be suggested to reset the Interlink. !Save the Nav Data to a SD card for backup. if possible
load them on another unit or on a PC using Humminbird PC. Verify you have your data is securely backed up before proceeding!
*Go to the Interlink menu item and select Stop Participating on Both units
*Go to the Nav tab on one unit (ensure in Advanced mode) and select Delete All Nav Data This will clear the unit of all waypoints, routes and tracks
*On the unit you just cleared, go to the Interlink option under the Acc tab and select Start Participating
*The unit will now ask you to participate. Right arrow to accept
*When asked how you want to participate select Keep Data on this Unit. This will send null nav data to the Interlink and reset.

The Interlink and unit will now synch. You will see the Interlink Synch in progress message displayed
*When the synch is complete go to the other unit and select Start Participating on unit
*When asked to participate press the right arrow to acknowledge
*when you are asked how you want to participate on this unit tell it to Keep Data on this Unit. This will load the Interlink and the other unit we cleared with nav data from this unit
*You will again see the Interlink Synch in Progress message
*As this synch is going on you can use the Interlink Status option to view what is going on with the synch. You can see the data being populated on the Interlink and the second unit.
*When the synch is complete turn off both units and turn them back on. Both units should now be in synch with the Interlink and there should be no messages displayed.

If the 998c SI is still not operating correctly for recognizing the interlink then the 998c SI with the interlink module will need to be checked and serviced as needed per below instructions:

We will be glad to service your unit at no charge if it is less than one year from the date of purchase and you can provide us with a copy of your receipt, a canceled check or credit card statement showing the purchase date of
your unit.  If your unit came pre-installed on your new boat as standard equipment then a copy of your bill of sale for the boat will be accepted. 

If your unit has exceeded the one year warranty there will be a service charge for the repair. The service charge of your model can be found on our website by clicking on:
Support/Contact Support/Service & Maintenance/Repair Fees or by copying and pasting this link into your browser: http://www.humminbird.com/Faq.aspx?TaxonomyId=95A1764 All service charges are in US dollars. Physical
damage is not covered under any warranties: Manufacturer’s or Extended.   

If you are located in the US, the service charge includes all parts, labor, return shipping back to you, and a three-month warranty from the date of repair.  The service charge also includes all accessories such as your power
cord, transducer, GPS receiver and the temp-speed gauge if they are returned with the unit on the initial service. Service turn around is five working days (does not include freight times to or from the factory) and will be
returned to you via Fed Ex Ground (to a physical address) or US Postal Service (only if going to an APO or PO Box). Fed Ex is our preferred carrier and can be traced after shipment so we would prefer a physical address.

If you are located in Canada please copy and paste this link into your browser for alternate instructions. http://www.humminbird.com/FAQ.aspx?Contentid=2678

If you are located outside of the US or Canada, please reply to this email with your location as well as the dealer name and country of purchase for additional instructions.

You may pay with a money order or credit card. If paying by credit card please call us at 1-800-633-1468 prior shipment to receive a return authorization number.  The Service Department address is:
Humminbird
Attn: Service Dept.
678 Humminbird Lane
Eufaula, AL 36027

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience related to the defect of your unit. We want you back on the water as soon as possible. Please let us know if we can assist you further.

Good Fishing and Boating!
Jennifer-CRC

Date: Jun 19, 2011 9:07:56 PM
To: service@humminbird.com
Subject: Contact Us

First Name: rich
Questions or Comments: problems with 998c si combo and interlink: (my contact information and equipment are registered on the humminbird website - and through the humminbird select program) the 998 unit constantly loses the connection to the interlink for no apparent reason. i suspected it was a software problem, so i updated the 998 to the v5.50 software-download, but this still has not fixed the connectivity problem. all mechanical cable connections and power sources are secure. please advise. equipment is still under warranty.

Offline smallie690vs

Re: 998c si combo and 798c si combo - interlink problem
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 02:29:57 AM »
wow, surprised that i didn't receive a response.... 

anyways, to follow up: 

after emails back/forth to at least 5 different customer service people (thanks sequenthia) - the interlink module was replaced under warranty free of charge

i connected the new module to both head units, and am no longer experiening this problem. 
a new waypoint is instantly visible on both units (sync successfull, sync maintained, no more interlink lost connection errors/messages)

still does not explain why i was unable to perform a software reset on the original interlink module (greg?), but i'll move on from here. 

Offline Chad711

• Unit(s): 997,797
  • Accessories: Interlink
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 09:55:11 AM »
If your 700 series unit is running 4.xx software and your 900 is running 5.xx software then that is your issue.

Also sending null data to your interlink doesn't reset it. You need to send one track and one wp.

Offline smallie690vs

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 01:18:47 PM »
no, software is 5.45 (798) and 5.50 (998). 
i'll pass on your reset instructions to customer service. 

the original interlink module was sent back to humminbird under warranty (via fedex ground return prepaid label)
it was replaced with a new-different interlink module, which seems to be working fine now. 

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 04:22:58 PM »
Our Engineers have found out that a lot of times when there is problems with the InterLink, that the cause gets back to corrupt Nav data.  Clearing the Nav data from both units and the InterLink should have cleared this up (until the corrupt data gets loaded back again).  Not sure why your InterLink would not reset, maybe it had an actual bad component in it.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo