Author Topic: 797c2i Q's  (Read 4812 times)

Offline Silverside

797c2i Q's
« on: September 24, 2012, 10:20:28 PM »
I have V:4.510 on my ebay purchase of a 797c2i.
I I update to the next or latest whichever I happen to go with....

1. (Lake master), Since Lake Cumberland is so low the gps shows me way off. I love the lakemaster maps. Will this be a default after updating or will I need to buy a card or even better is there a place to download maps.

2. (DI) I have a 596c HD DI, I love it. makes drop shoting bluff was and drop offs so much easier. I have seen  that the 797c2i is not supported, I have seen it wasn't and then later was added, and that it is. Since I'm really just now looking into it I haven't found out who is blowing smoke. not really worried about it because SI is all I would really use at the helm anyway but DI is just nice to have I suppose.

Offline Silverside

Re: 797c2i Q's
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 11:19:10 PM »
Ive tried to go ahead and download the the update after 4.510, Its not letting me get it, just signs me out and takes me to the login screen.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 01:13:09 PM »
Where are you trying to download the update from, this web site or the Humminbird web site?  If the Humminbird web site, call the Humminbird Customer Resource folks at 1-800-633-1468.

For your questions in your first post:
1.  Are the GPS coordinates way off or is the map showing you way off from your known location?

Updating the software in the unit will not affect the data on the LakeMaster mapping card you are using.

2.  Are you asking if the 797c2i unit has the ability to have Down Imaging sonar?  If you are than it is true when you update the software in your 797c2i unit.  At first the Engineers did not think that the 797 units would be able to run the Down Imaging software but found out later that they could.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Silverside

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 09:34:54 PM »
Was trying to get it from this site, was finally able to get it registered at HB. It took awhile. I now have it updated.

Its not that anything is wrong with the unit, I can mark a rock or stump and go right back to it. Its just the fact that the gps is useless trying to Nav when its dark on Lake Cumberland. Thus the reason I like the Lake Master maps so much. Like today, Gps shows me maybe about 120, 130 yards away from a bank, but I'm sitting right on it with one foot on the boat and one foot on a stump getting my crankbait out of the roots.  LC is about 34 ft low because of the work on Wolf Creek Dam and its really 3 ft above where they are supposed to be keeping it. Not to mention that the chart doesn't show anything when it comes to channels. I can  find and avoid the long points that are only a foot deep during the day, just not at night.

I also didn't see a brightness setting that I could turn down at night.

Offline Silverside

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 09:37:20 PM »
Anther note, I wasn't using a card, I suppose that my problem. Lake Master doesn't have anything for Ky, or TN. Which in my book is crazy.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 09:49:08 AM »
Nope, LakeMaster does not have any Tennessee or Kentucky lakes out yet but I’m sure they will be working on adding them as they continue to expand their coverage area.  You may want to look at Navionics mapping cards to see if they cover the lakes you fish.  Adding a mapping card will be the only way to improve on the maps your 797c2i unit will display.

The brightness control (Light menu) is in with the power button.  Press it once briefly and you should see it and the Background menu show up.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo