Author Topic: Software Updates and when to Insert SD Card - Problems!  (Read 25405 times)

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
Software Updates and when to Insert SD Card - Problems!
« on: January 25, 2010, 03:09:17 AM »
I have been recieving quite a few emails and PM in regards to units locking up after or during the software update process and wanted to post this for everyone again. 

All or at least all of the problems I have heard about during updates have been when users have inserted the SD card prior to Powering on the Unit.  I have this problem on my 997c, it will not take an update if I put the SD card in first. 

The Official Humminbird Website says to Power On the Unit, then Insert the SD Card!
http://www.humminbird.com/support/FAQ.aspx?faqid=35

After you have Restored the Factory Defaults, just insert the SD card and the unit will begin the update.  You can power it down and back on again if you want, but wait until it is completely booted up before sticking the SD card in the slot.

A lot of older material says to insert the SD card before you power on.  This will work with most units, but I highly recommend you do not use this method!  This is how the original updates were done, and it was later changed.

Robert   
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 04:26:37 AM by RGecy »
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline jejb

Re: Software Updates and when to Insert SD Card - Problems!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 08:01:39 AM »
Good reminder. But my 997, which is a very new unit that came factory loaded with the 4.57 update, did not work that way. I did the reset to defaults thing, shut it down and brought it back up. Inserted the SD card with the DI update and it did nothing. So I left the card in, powered it down and back up and the update took off and completed with no issues.

So there is some variability to this, for some reason. But probably best to try it the recommended way first, as you suggest.
John B
997C SI, 798CI SI  NVB
(formerly owned 1197C SI NVB)

Offline charilaos1

• Unit(s): 997csi
  • Software: 6-300
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 08:58:45 AM »
i follow this video for my update end now my unit is lock

Humminbird 997c update

Offline dybvad417

• Wreckhunter in the Kattegat, Denmark
  • Unit(s): 987 Cx SI
  • Software: 4.750
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 12:08:24 PM »
Updated my 987 Cx - no problems - piece of cake   ;D

Today 26-01-2010 updated a friends  981 Cx - No problems 
  ;D

1.  Reset to factory setup

2.  Power of.

3.  Insert the SD card with new software.

4.  Power on.

5.  Update success  ;D

Don't use new SDHC cards for updates.

Better to use older SD cards.

987 C, 981 and perhaps early 997 C models cant read SDHC cards when in factory setup.

Good luck

Regards

Gert

« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 02:25:03 AM by dybvad417 »

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 03:19:26 PM »
Gert,

That may be the case, but I would recommend to everyone to follow the HB Website and Power On the Unit before inserting the SD card for now. 

I will test the update on my unit with a smaller card, but I am pretty sure I used a 2gb last time with the same result.

Robert

Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline dybvad417

• Wreckhunter in the Kattegat, Denmark
  • Unit(s): 987 Cx SI
  • Software: 4.750
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 03:47:17 PM »
Gert,

That may be the case, but I would recommend to everyone to follow the HB Website and Power On the Unit before inserting the SD card for now. 

I will test the update on my unit with a smaller card, but I am pretty sure I used a 2gb last time with the same result.

Robert

The card size is not so important.

The card type is important

SD and SDHC compatibility issues

The SDHC specification was completed in June 2006,[22] but by that time, non-standard high-capacity (>1GB) SD cards (based on the older 1.x specification) were already on the market. The two types of storage cards were not interchangeable, creating some confusion among customers. Fortunately, such cards were expensive and represented a very small portion of the SD-card market, giving vendors of consumer devices and storage cards time to adopt the SDHC SD2.0 standard.

SD and SDHC cards and devices have these compatibility issues :

* Devices that do not specifically support SDHC do not recognize SDHC memory cards. Some devices can support SDHC through a firmware upgrade.[23]
    * SDHC devices are backward compatible with SD memory cards.[23]
    * Some manufacturers have produced 4 GB SD cards that conform to neither the SD2.0/SDHC spec nor existing SD devices.[24]
    * File System: SD cards are typically formatted with the FAT16 file system, while SDHC cards are typically formatted as FAT32.[21] However, both types of cards can support other general-purpose file systems, such as UFS2, ext2 or the proprietary exFAT for example.

I read it this way.

All SI units produced before June 2006 do not from factory support SDHC .

When these units are set back to factory defaults, witch card type are recognizably.

Gert
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 04:02:02 PM by dybvad417 »

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
  • Unit(s): HELIX 9 G3N, 998Cx SI, 959DI
  • Software: latest (mostly)
  • Accessories: AS GR50, custom towfish and: A boat!!
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 05:25:24 PM »
i follow this video for my update end now my unit is lock

Humminbird 997c update

Mine locked up in the past as well, but you can get it back runnin' via HumminbirdPC and a PC connection cable. If that fails, you gotta send the unit back for repair.

Regards / Harry
YES,......
WE SCAN!

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 06:00:38 PM »
The card size is not so important.

The card type is important

I read it this way.

All SI units produced before June 2006 do not from factory support SDHC .

Gert

So my question now is....Does my 2010 model 1197 support SDHC and/or SD....??

Offline Blackwaterkatz

• Unit(s): 797c si / 998c si / 1198
  • Software: 5.450 / 5.700
  • Accessories: weathersense
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 06:11:45 PM »
I guess I got lucky on my install, 'cuz I put the card in, then powered up.  Everything seems to be working, but I'll pay more attention next time, all the same.  Thanks for the reminder.
Tommy in Lowcountry S.C.

Offline FuzzyGrub

• Joe Fish
  • Unit(s): 999ci HD, 798ci HD, 597ci HD DI
  • Software: Latest
  • Accessories: TSW,
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 04:47:58 PM »
I have always used the power off, insert SD card method on my 797 and now 798.  I think I have done three updates to 798 including the latest DI upgrade this way.  I have been using the same 2G SD chip for all updates.  The update goes very quickly. 

While I will probably do the new method on the next update, it would be nice to know why the old way is a problem.  It doesn't make intuitive sense.
If it bends my rod, I'm a happy fisherman.

JohnS

http://joefishin.com/

Offline lcookie

• Unit(s): 998SI/1198SI/788DI/587DI
  • Software: 6.68/6.64/6.64/6.09
  • Accessories: Ethernet, GRHA, ASGPSHS,WeatherSense
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 08:09:42 PM »
My unit will only perform the update if I power it on and then insert the card.  Also, my unit recognizes the SDHC card without any problems. 

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 09:16:24 PM »
I have an 1197c and have put the update card in and then turned the unit on, so far it has made all of the updates without any problems.

George

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 08:33:17 AM »
for our 1197si, we  restored factory defaults before powering off. installed the card and powered on all of which went ok.  Of course restoring our settings took a bit of time but at least it did not lock up.  We are using a 2G SD card for the update and then delete the file and use the card for recording.  Dont know if this helps but it does work for us.  This is the third update without any problems. 
Chuck

Offline charilaos1

• Unit(s): 997csi
  • Software: 6-300
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 10:25:02 AM »
I manage to unlock my unit using the Hum.PC. 2.5.8
Very big thanks to Jolly Roger 

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 12:52:49 PM »
After reading the above, it make sense to power up the unit, restore the Default and then insert the update card, because once I installed the card without restoring the defaults.  I dodged a bullet that time, the update went thru.

I am interested in understanding what problems "charilaos1" had and the actual process to unlock his unit.  It may help others.

George

Offline soretoe

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 09:18:32 PM »
I have an old 16 meg XD card that I use for updates. I have updated using both methods and they work with my old clunker card. I do recommend doing as Robert says power on and then insert card....
Freedom isnt free, if you want to know the real cost visit a national cemetery or VA Hospital.

I can also be found at;
http://allatoonabass.proboards.com/

Offline Gmcquire

• Unit(s): FF587CI HD DI COMBO
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2016, 05:59:52 PM »
Gents
 I really am in a barrel here...on one hand... I have had Humminbird units for the last 30+ years... so you could say I am a Humminbird fan

Until now...

Let me give you the WHOLE story so you are aware of all the details

Going to try a new lake out this year... (Jack Lake Apsley Ontario, Canada)... there are quite a few navigational hazards (submerged rocks) on this lake so decided to bite the bullet and spend the $290+ on the Navionics+ card ( ever notice that paying that much for such a tiny little item seems to hurt that much more? lol) My logic was..$300 for a card...$1000 for a bottom end if I hit a rock right? Card is really the better value

Purchased the card... recommendations are to update your FF/Chartplotter to the latest version of software... My latest unit was purchased in May 2013... it gets used 2 weeks/yr when I go on holidays, except last year was 1 week... so essentially I have the original software on the unit and it has approx 35 full days of use on it

Logged into "my humminbird" where all the info on my unit is... found 2 "recommended" updates... 1 for software and 1 for pc connection.... so... I downloaded the software update to an empty SD card... reset all the settings on the unit to default factory. turned off unit and followed the instructions to install the new update.... new software looked kewl and I thought great.... everything worked perfect

WRONG

Turned off the unit and installed the Navionics+ card..... had my transducer in a barrel of water(don't know where I heard it but someone said transducer should be in barrel of water when running)... decided to browse to chartplotter screen to see the lake we were going to

"Loading, loading...loading...."
 Unit rebooted... literally turned off and restarted... thought...hmmmm... so I tried again
"Loading, loading, loading...." reboot
 Crap.... turned off unit.... unplugged from mount... checked voltage at battery... 12v... checked voltage at mount... 12v... so it's not a low voltage issue
 Tried it 3 more times and the 4th time it rebooted to a black screen with green lettering
"Matrix Series Version 4.300".... and I couldn't turn the unit off or scroll to any other screen

So I googled the message and found this forum and Greg ... however... it seems Greg has had his duties change and he no longer does this kinda thing

So next step is call, email, live chat, and cuss silently until I got through to Gwen at Humminbird...who btw... was very helpful, however, all we could do is send my unit back to an authorized Humminbird repair centre and have it repaired

So $55 for shipping TO Humminbird repair... $35 flat rate fee to REPAIR my unit...AND another $20 for them to ship it back to me, which I found unusual....
 So to recapp

IF YOU INTEND TO INSTALL THE "RECOMMENDED" UPDATE TO YOUR UNIT BEWARE!

If your unit crashes (as mine did) YOU will be on the hook for ALL shipping charges both to and from the repair depot AS WELL AS the repair cost... mine was the minimum charge... I was forewarned it could have been more if they found more wrong

Honestly, I am not a whiner and complainer, i understand these Companies and their repair centres have policies.... but seriously... 35 days of use on a FF/Chartplotter... install 1 update  THAT WAS RECOMMENDED BY THE MANUFACTURER AND DOWNLOADED DIRECTLY FROM THEIR WEBSITE" and now I'm out $110?

Thats my rant... just want all of you to be aware of what MAY happen if you install the update
Modify message

Offline Gmcquire

• Unit(s): FF587CI HD DI COMBO
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2016, 05:42:28 PM »
Just an FYI... Humminbird REALLy doesn't care that you have used their products for 30+years... I guess it's just business....

this is just a copy of the text that I will be posting on any and all forums, blogs, websites, or bulletin boards
I really do apologize Humminbird.... however.. I did give you the opportunity to resolve this situation

"The product itself? well... the product I think is ok... but customer service? terrible
I only used this unit for 35hrs before it crashed after uploading an update... yup... black screen with green letters.. "Matrix System version 4.300"... couldn't turn it off without disconnecting power and it just rebooted to the same black screen
 Humminbird said I would have to send it to their repair depot.... I expressed my displeasure with the whole situation of uploading THEIR RECOMMENDED UPDATE and it crashed my unit... they said they would contact the repair depot
 So...$55 to ship.... $35 minimum service charge (obviously it was a very easy fix cause it took less than 2 hrs from time of delivery to time or email saying it was fixed) AND THEN THEY CHARGED ME TO SHIP IT BACK TO ME?
 So naturally I contacted Humminbird and was told there was nothing they could do about it as it was already paid for and "I HAD AGREED TO PAY FOR IT" so what happened to them contacting the repair depot? Obviously that didn't happen

And to add insult to injury?
After being firm... but polite to Humminbird customer care.... AND apologizing for any negative publicity they may receive due to this issue... their response?

WGARRETT
"It was a pleasure working with you today. Have a great day!"

After 30+ years of owning humminbird do yourself a favour... buy a Lowrance or a Raymarine....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo