Author Topic: GPS in US HB products  (Read 4486 times)

Offline yaro

• Unit(s): 798ci SI
GPS in US HB products
« on: August 22, 2010, 04:51:03 PM »

Hi all!
I'm new to GPS and sonars and I've found this forum very helpfull but still have few questions.

On one of the posts I've read that HB products with GPS functions purchased in US do not allow for time zones to be reset outside of the US time zones and that this will affect it ability to acquire satellites outside US.

Could someone explain to me what does it exactly mean? Will the unit simply take longer to acquire the position or will it be impossible to connect at all?

I'm living in Ireland and I'm going to buy 798ci SI for lake fishing. There is huge difference in price between US and Europe so I was hoping to buy one from US since I have a family there.

Thanks for any info!

Raf

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
Re: GPS in US HB products
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 05:57:46 PM »
You are right on that the US products only have time zones 4 thru 9.  This covers the atlantic ocean east of the US and extends to Hawaii.
Now I dont know if the GPS will sync with the visible satelites or not. If they eventually do then the time shown on the display may be incorrect.
Does any one have a US unit in europe that is a US model and can let us know what they see.
If you have a US unit what does the diag screen show when you turn on the unit.
Greg, this might be a good question for you to respond to.
Robert what do you have on this also?

Chuck

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 03:48:25 PM »
Officially I am supposed to urge you to buy your unit from your local Humminbird dealer, so… urge, urge.

The Time Zone menu is only used to offset the GMT time that the units gets from the GPS system.  The unit could care less what the displayed time is that we see on the display as it does not use the time that we see displayed to track the satellites.  It uses the GMT time and almanac information to know what satellite is where in the sky above.  It’s sort of like daylight savings time: changing what time the clock shows doesn’t affect when the sun comes up according to the cosmic clock!  So the lack of a time zone for your area does not affect the GPS Receiver’s ability to track and lock onto the satellites and derive your location.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline dybvad417

• Wreckhunter in the Kattegat, Denmark
  • Unit(s): 987 Cx SI
  • Software: 4.750
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 05:53:16 PM »
Officially I am supposed to urge you to buy your unit from your local Humminbird dealer, so… urge, urge.

The Time Zone menu is only used to offset the GMT time that the units gets from the GPS system.  The unit could care less what the displayed time is that we see on the display as it does not use the time that we see displayed to track the satellites.  It uses the GMT time and almanac information to know what satellite is where in the sky above.  It’s sort of like daylight savings time: changing what time the clock shows doesn’t affect when the sun comes up according to the cosmic clock!  So the lack of a time zone for your area does not affect the GPS Receiver’s ability to track and lock onto the satellites and derive your location.

Officially I am supposed to buy my unit from my local Humminbird pusher in Denmark.

Model   1197C

Price in Denmark 24.000 dkr = 4.100  US $
Price in US          14.750 dkr. = 2.500  US $   Ebay

When my 987Cx dies, my next unit wil be a 1197 US model.  ;)

Regards
Gert

Offline Timo

• Software: 4.780
  • Accessories: XHS-9-HDSI-180-T Transducer
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 01:36:34 AM »
Even the EGNOS correction works fine (WAAS counterpart in Europe) to provide enhanced GPS fix type for better position accuracy.

Timo

Offline yaro

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 02:48:04 AM »
Thanks a million Greg! That answers my question in 100%! I wish there was more people using your motto  ;)
Since I only intend to use it for personal needs and don't have too much money to spend I'll be buying one from US. But  if I ever figure out a way to make a living out of it I'll go to my local dealer. Who is a Humminbird dealer in Ireland BTW. I was looking for one and only found one in UK.

Thanks again Greg!

Raf

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 04:50:09 PM »
Raf,
Thanks on the motto.  Sort of took it from Scouting.  It has gotten me into trouble more than a few times but so far it’s been worth it!
Not sure who the dealer is in Ireland – we may not have one.

Gert,
I fully understand trying to find a better deal on anything I buy (last Friday I shopped three different stores to find the best deal on some shoes).  I don’t make the rules here but was told I should urge anyone to buy locally as it were, so I had to add that statement.  Now whether I agree with the corporate policy or not – well let’s just say I’ve already been warned about my views on that subject (BTW I heard the best prices on International units was from Canada).  Remember: it's your money and you have the right to spend it when and where you want to (as long as my wife doesn't catch me that is!).  :o

Timo,
Not just WAAS and EGNOS capable but also MSAS (MTSAT the Japanese version of WAAS) capable.  I’ve also heard rumors that we will be able to make full use of some of the upcoming augmentation updates from the U.S. as well as possibly being able to use the GAGAN (India) and Galileo (European) systems as well.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo