Author Topic: Helix 7 VS 9  (Read 12559 times)

Offline bigonsmallies

• Unit(s): 997C SI, 858C
Helix 7 VS 9
« on: January 23, 2017, 07:50:13 PM »
I have to buy a unit for the bow of my boat. I had the Garmin echo map chirp 93sv. This was a compact light unit that would have been perfect except the mapping on the Great Lakes sucks. Someone on here warned me about the mapping but I believed the Garmin web site. Fortunately they bought the unit back from me and I am back to Humminbird. My problem now is the size of the Helix 9. I like to put my front sounder on a ram mount that extends the unit upward 9". I know the rough water on Lake Erie won't be kind to the Helix 9. The question is other than the size of the screen and the 1 micro SD versus the dual SD what else am losing by going with the Helix 7 Chirp DI/GPS G2N versus the Helix 9 Chirp DI/GPS G2N?
Since this is a bow unit processing speeds shouldn't be an issue for the mapping. I plan to use the Lakemaster Plus Great Lakes chip.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
Re: Helix 7 VS 9
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 07:58:02 PM »
Glad you gave us that feedback about the Garmin mapping.  It's a knee jerk warning for me......I really don't understand why they don't offer alternatives to mapping.

I don't have a raised mount at the bow, but have heard good things about the Cisco mount .... I don't think I would use the Ram ball type mount for that application.

If you are independently wealthy, you could look at the Kong mount.... ;D
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 09:37:22 PM »
1 card slot (micro SD for 7/ full size SD for 9) and 3 preset keys are about the only difference in those 2 units (except screen size) ..

Rickie
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:38:31 PM by rnvinc »

Offline bigonsmallies

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 03:54:08 PM »
Thank you for the feedback..................Are there any preset keys on the Helix 7?

Offline bigonsmallies

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 04:02:25 PM »
Glad you gave us that feedback about the Garmin mapping.  It's a knee jerk warning for me......I really don't understand why they don't offer alternatives to mapping.

I don't have a raised mount at the bow, but have heard good things about the Cisco mount .... I don't think I would use the Ram ball type mount for that application.

If you are independently wealthy, you could look at the Kong mount.... ;D

I tried every mapping chip that will work in the Garmin without success. Huge holes in the mapping. Even where there wasn't holes it wasn't accurate at all compared to the Lakemaster chip and my experience. They wanted me to fill in the blanks by creating the mapping for them.........of course they won't pay me for it.

I have a Cisco mount for my helm unit Helix 10. I mount my front sounder off the same surface as the front trolling motor. If I use the Cisco then it will lower it down 4 inches. I will have to look at a Kong mount......I am not rich but like to stay on top of what is available.

Thanks for the feedback!

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 09:10:43 PM »
Thank you for the feedback..................Are there any preset keys on the Helix 7?

No preset keys on HELIX 7 or HELIX 5 ...

Rickie

Offline bigonsmallies

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 01:28:13 PM »
OK I bought the Helix 9 (Universalmania.com is still the cheapest) and the TH shock lock heavy duty electronics mount. Isn't as pretty as the Kong but is apparently made to handle the heavy electronics and much cheaper.........$130 from Walmart online for the biggest size Large 12" Head - Long 5" Arm . Probably an error on their website but they better send it to me.

Shock-Lock™ Super Duty Electronics Mount

Featuring a Unique "DOWEL PIN LOCK"

Shock-Lock™ Electronics Mounts are designed to securely hold your heavy marine electronics in place under any condition. Our exclusive "DOWEL PIN LOCK" joint locking system insures that your valuable electronics stay in place where you want them. No more worries about your electronics slipping, moving, shifting or smashing on your boat while running in any conditions. The Shock-Lock™ was tested in the most severe conditions by top touring pros.

When your day is done simply pull the spring loaded tab at the base to release the Shock Lock™ and your electronic unit from the base freeing it to be locked away and protected. The Shock-Lock™ is made from anodized aircraft aluminum and stainless steel for strength and durability.

Unique "DOWEL PIN LOCK" No Slip Joints
Quick Release Spring Loaded Base
Multi-Position Pivot Points in Base
Easy to Adjust Wing Nut Locks on Joints
Three Models to Fit Any Electronic Unit
Annodized Aluminum with Stainless Fasteners

Offline Bob B

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 03:31:20 PM »
Let us know how you like both of them.

Offline bigonsmallies

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 04:26:30 PM »
Will do................

Probably a dumb question but do I have to use the supplied transducer (to get Chirp) or will the US2 in my Terrova work?

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 08:18:41 PM »
Will do................

Probably a dumb question but do I have to use the supplied transducer (to get Chirp) or will the US2 in my Terrova work?

Which HELIX 9 did you buy ... ??

Rickie

Offline bigonsmallies

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 08:59:42 PM »
Humminbird Helix 9 Chirp GPS G2N Combo since I don't use DI or SI on the bow.

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 10:23:11 AM »
Humminbird Helix 9 Chirp GPS G2N Combo since I don't use DI or SI on the bow.

HELIX 9 CHIRP GPS G2N (Sonar/GPS only) uses the same XNT 9 20 T as previous 2d models ...

CHIRP is a function of the sounder transmit pulse - regardless of which xducer that signal is pushed thru ...

HB has tested the CHIRP transmit signal thru their own stock xducers (XNT 9 20 T included) to determine that the stock xducer functions satisfactorily with the CHIRP transmit pulse ...

I do not know if HB actually tested the CHIRP transmit signal thru the US2 (because Minn Kota is a different division of Johnson Outdoors than the HB brand) ..

We can assume it is possible to transmit CHIRP thru the US2 - but we have no info to how it might perform with the CHIRP transmit pulse ...

Rickie
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 10:24:25 AM by rnvinc »

Offline bigonsmallies

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 11:05:40 AM »
Thats is not the answer I expected but potentially good news.........what type of issues will I have if the US2 is not compatible? I mean other than getting no returns would I see a specific issue or just not get the benefit of the Chirp technology?

Thank you for your help!

Offline bigonsmallies

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 05:54:35 PM »
Let us know how you like both of them.

Got the mount in the mail today and it is not at all like the mount I ordered. According to TH it is the newer version of the same mount. They call the TH Shock lock mini-Kong.
The adjustments are now pin/hole which gives 3 positions for the all of the 3 joints and the base is 2 position. There are 3 pins that have to find holes so all of the adjustments are radical. No knobs like the picture showed only allen head cap screws. The wire chase in the base is ridiculous.......it is so small that only small gauge wires could be run through it......guess the transducer cable is supposed to come from somewhere else.
I decided to try and mount the top plate to see if I could even make it work and one of the screw holes is either tapped incorrectly or just messed up. That is enough for me....back in the box and off to Walmart to return.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 04:46:07 PM by bigonsmallies »

Offline Bob B

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 07:31:12 PM »
The Ballzout mount is another some like ..... I don't know if you looked at it or not.  I have heard that the adjustments aren't quite as easy as some, but it might be worth a look.

Offline bigonsmallies

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2017, 08:20:58 PM »
The Ballzout mount is another some like ..... I don't know if you looked at it or not.  I have heard that the adjustments aren't quite as easy as some, but it might be worth a look.

I looked and they are spendy too. It looks like it would put my unit in a good position but I am unclear if it would adjust down to not interfere with the travel cover.

I like the cisco so I can take the unit and all when I leave my boat in the slip for 2 months during the spring walleye run. I do not trust that my electronics will be there if I leave them on the boat when I am gone. It would be a big problem arriving at the marina only to find out I am flying blind that day.

Thanks for the heads up.......always like to know what is out there.

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2017, 10:23:22 PM »
Thats is not the answer I expected but potentially good news.........what type of issues will I have if the US2 is not compatible? I mean other than getting no returns would I see a specific issue or just not get the benefit of the Chirp technology?

Thank you for your help!

There's no question it will be possible to CHIRP the US2 ...

What we don't know yet is how the performance of the US2 will be being CHIRP-ed ...

The good news is you will be able to turn CHIRP off and compare conventional continuous wave fixed frequency 2d to compare with CHIRP in the same unit ...

Rickie

Offline bigonsmallies

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2017, 04:49:20 PM »
OK, Thanks! I will probably use the supplied transducer just to be safe. When I put it in for the first time it stays for 2 months. And adding a transducer to a Terrova isn't bad on land but I would not try it floating in the slip.

Thanks again!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo