Author Topic: 797 C2 Died  (Read 3519 times)

Offline Mikeguard01

• Unit(s): 797
  • Software: 4.7
797 C2 Died
« on: July 10, 2010, 09:42:20 PM »
    Fished out in heavy rain today and my trust worthy 797 c2 bit the dust. Worked fine all morning till I was about to come back in. First it turned off; of course I restarted the unit.  Then it just quit. Just to be sure I didn't have a power problem I checked the battery connections, fuse holder, and connectors for any corrosion. Reconnected the unit and tried to power up and nothing. Disconnected and reconnected the unit. Then held the power button down a little longer and got a quick flash then off. Then I could get the keys to stay illuminated for a short while then off. I guess water migrated into the unit. Fishing with this unit for the past 3 years has made me very dependent on the SI for keying in on structure and following schools of fish. I hope I can get it fixed.

Mike

Offline calli1

• Unit(s): 1198 S I & 787c2i
  • Accessories: XM Weather & Weather Sense
Re: 797 C2 Died
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 11:29:52 PM »
The folks at H B will get you going.

But, one extra thing you should do...run a spare line for power and make sure battery is 100% charged.

Won't hurt to try before sending to Alabama..

Good Luck

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 01:19:48 AM »
Mike,

Welcome to the forum.  Sorry to hear you're having issues.  Here are some known power issues to be aware of:

Check the connector pins.  Sometimes they will become worn or loose and you will have to bend them outward slightly to make better contact.

Check the draw on your main bus.  Have you added any new electronics that would draw more current?

I would disconnect everything from the unit and connect the power cable directly to a fresh battery or 12v power supply.  This will make sure you don't have some other issue or short that causing problems.

Good Luck and hope some of that helps.

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline Mikeguard01

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 09:06:59 PM »
Robert,

Thanks for the reply. Everything was isolated. I run my unit directly from a battery with nothing else connected. Tested the connector with a load no problems there. Looks like I might need to send it to the factory for repair. I wonder how much that will cost me. The 24th of this month is 3rd year I have had the unit. Went fishing today and kept starring at the mount. One day of fishing without my SI is to much. I think I'm going to have some withdraw issues.

Mike 

Offline Mikeguard01

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 09:11:12 PM »
Calli1,

Thanks also. Some how I missed your reply.

Mike

Offline Mikeguard01

Update
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 07:42:22 AM »
Well my unit is now fixed. I finally found the Problem. It was a cold solder joint on the connector inside the unit. I don't recommend anyone opening their electronics, but I have almost 30 years experience in the area. A quick resolder and she was off and running. 

Mike

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 08:56:30 AM »
Mike, did you pass this on to customer service.  They should be advised of what you found.  These boards are built by HB and have a checkout process. 
Chuck

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal