Author Topic: Problem with 798ciHd si  (Read 15940 times)

Offline LocoD

• Unit(s): 798ci HD SI Combo
  • Software: 6.610
Problem with 798ciHd si
« on: November 11, 2012, 10:51:26 AM »
I have a 798ci HD si that has been performing fine since Feb. 2011. All of a sudden, it has started losing the GPS function. This happens intermittently and can sometimes be restored by turning the unit off and restarting. I have tried restoring default settings at HB's direction with no improvement.
The unit shows "GPS not connected".
Is there anything I am overlooking on my end before sending the unit to Eufaula ?
Thanks for any input you can give.

Offline LocDown

• Fishing Videos
  • Unit(s): 1199 H12G2N-HW-MSI
Re: Problem with 798ciHd si
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 07:50:34 PM »
Where is the unit mounted? Did you put anything above it that might block it from receiving GPS signals?

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 06:38:13 AM »
LocoD

You may want to check wires to make sure there are not any cuts or anything wrong with the wires.  Also check your connectors for corrosion or bent or broken pins.  Make sure your connectors are solidly in place, you may want to jiggle the wires to see if you lose the GPS connection.

If everything checks out then if possible remove the GPS puck and check it out on another system.

When I have had an issue I have found that dis-assembling the system and re-installing it while pay extra attention to every detail, that the problem corrected itself.  Systems do break, but sometimes we get lucky and it is a connection issue.

George

Offline LocoD

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 07:43:48 AM »
I have not changed anything regarding the mount, position, etc. The 798 has an internal GPS, so there is no connection to an external antenna. The only thing I have changed is uploading the 6.25 software upgrade. Although this problem began after the software installation, HB has advised that this COULD NOT be the problem. Thanks.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 12:37:20 PM »
I would check the electrical connections to your 798ci HD Si unit.  We have seen where a low power problem has caused GPS (and other) problems.  Make sure all wiring connections are clean, soldered and sealed.  Don’t forget the fuse and holder when checking as these are electrical connections too.

To eliminate anything on your boat as being the cause of the problem you could test your unit on someone else’s boat – even if it is out of the water.  It does not have to be another 798ci HD Si unit.  Many Humminbird units use the same power cable and a transducer that will work for this test (I know the sonar is not the issue but you would want the unit connected to a transducer to test it due to the added current draw).  It would be okay if you connect the unit to any of the external GPS Receivers to test it as well.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline LocoD

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 02:05:15 PM »
Thanks Greg,
I'll check all of these items out . I have buddies with 997's,898's, and 597's. Can I plug their cables into my unit to test ?( my 798 has the quick disconnect mount). My voltage readout is showing 12.4v. on the test screen.
If none of this works, do I need to load the previous software back in ? Are we certain the 6.25 software is not the problem ?
Thanks.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 02:10:14 PM »
Yes you can plug your 798ci HD Si unit into their cables to test it.  You may have to hold them in by hand while doing so but they will work.

If that does not help than I would contact the Humminbird Customer Resource folks.  I do not know that the 6.250 software update would cause this problem, but even if it did you would still have to return the unit to be fixed.

Offline navionic

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 02:14:09 PM »
I have the same problem. Tried to change the firmware. Nothing helps.
I'm shocked.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 02:15:32 PM by navionic »

Offline navionic

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 02:29:08 PM »
I have not changed anything regarding the mount, position, etc. The 798 has an internal GPS, so there is no connection to an external antenna. The only thing I have changed is uploading the 6.25 software upgrade. Although this problem began after the software installation, HB has advised that this COULD NOT be the problem. Thanks.
The problem started just after updating firmware version 6.250?

Offline LocoD

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 07:50:23 AM »
That is correct. The problem with the GPS "disconnecting" began after the 6.25 was installed. It continues to be an intermittent problem.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 10:44:16 AM »
Well if it is the 6.250 software than there should be a lot of other people out there that have the same problem.  Now it could be a bad upgrade for whatever reason (power flucuation, software download corrupted,...).  If it is than you should be able to load an older version of software (make sure it is not older than what the unit was originally built with), then re-download the 6.250 version again and re-install it.  I would try testing the GPS with the older software in it just to be sure.

Do you know what version of software was in your 798ci HD Si unit before you updated it to the 6.250 version?  If it was version 5.590 or older than it could be some corrupted Nav Data.  Try saving (export) your Nav Data and perform a Delete All Nav Directories function and see if the GPS works any better.

Offline LocoD

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 01:29:54 PM »
Greg,
The version was 5.210. I exported all my Nav data to an SD card before I installed the new software. I also restored the defaults. The SD backup was not needed because I did not lose any of my data after the 6.25 software download.
Should I go back and install version 5.210 , then reinstall 6.25 ?
Thanks again for any ideas.

Offline navionic

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 01:42:57 PM »
Greg,
The version was 5.210. I exported all my Nav data to an SD card before I installed the new software. I also restored the defaults. The SD backup was not needed because I did not lose any of my data after the 6.25 software download.
It will not help and will not solve the problem. I put different versions of the firmware. GPS unconnect

Offline navionic

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 01:54:31 PM »
Do you know what version of software was in your 798ci HD Si unit before you updated it to the 6.250 version?  If it was version 5.590 or older than it could be some corrupted Nav Data.  Try saving (export) your Nav Data and perform a Delete All Nav Directories function and see if the GPS works any better.
Menu  Nav Data  is not available ! Look at the user device 788 ci HD and 788ci HD DI with firmware 6.450 on this forum. They write about the same .

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 03:35:27 PM »
Greg,

LocoD,
You could try going back to the 5.210 version, just to see if it makes a difference or not.  If something did not go right with the 5.210 software update you may be able to fix it in this way or it may not make a difference at all.  I believe that it is worth a try, but before doing so Export the Nav Data from your 798ci HD Si unit to a memory card and set that memory card aside.  Then delete all of the Nav Data from your unit using the (new to you) “Format Nav Directories” menu which is under the “Setup” menu tab.  Then install the 5.210 software.

Once you have the 5.210 software installed you should try testing the GPS to see if that helped or not.

If that helps try re-downloading the 6.250 software again (do not use the same file that you already have) and install it in the 798ci HD Si unit.

If the GPS still works; try downloading the Nav Data from the memory card you exported it to, into HumminbirdPC and then upload it back to the memory card selecting to “Replace” the Nav Data on the memory card.  If there is a corrupt waypoint, track or route this will hopefully catch it.  Test the GPS in your unit again to confirm that it is working with the Nav Data you just loaded back into the unit.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 03:39:37 PM »
It will not help and will not solve the problem. I put different versions of the firmware. GPS unconnect

Regardless of whether it helped you and your unit or whether you think that it will or will not work; he was asking if there was anything else he could try before sending the unit into the Service Center.  I believe that it is worth that try as we have seen some strange things happen with problem software updates and with corrupt Nav Data.  I would hate for him to go through all of the effort to package up his unit and ship it in only to find out that he could have fixed it himself.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 03:48:51 PM »
Menu  Nav Data  is not available ! Look at the user device 788 ci HD and 788ci HD DI with firmware 6.450 on this forum. They write about the same .

If what you are saying is that the “Export Nav Data” menu is no longer in those models you mentioned with currently available software, than you would be correct.  As discussed elsewhere the “Export All Nav Data” was replaced when each unit received the Waypoint Management software upgrade, which for the units you mentioned was version 5.840 as it was for the 798ci HD Si unit that LocoD has. 

To export all navigation data:
Use the following instructions to export all of the control head’s waypoints,
routes, tracks, and groups to an installed, unlocked SD card.
1. Insert an unlocked SD card into the SD card slot.
2. Open the Waypoint Management Dialog Box: Press the MENU key
twice. Press the RIGHT Cursor key until the Navigation tab is selected.
Select Waypoints, Routes, Tracks. Press the RIGHT Cursor key.
3. Select Options > Select All and... > Export.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions to confirm or cancel the export.

Offline LocoD

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 04:30:27 PM »
Greg,
I have had my unit on all day today. It has NOT lost GPS connection. My plan is to monitor it as it is. If it begins to lose GPS connection again, I'll take it to my bud's 997 and attach his cables manually.
If I'm still having problems, I'll back up, reload the 5.21, and load a "new" 6.25.
If all else fails, I'll send it in. I'll post again when I get all this done.
Thanks again for all the ideas and help.

Offline terry0540

• Unit(s): 798ci SI NVB
  • Software: 4.780
  • Accessories: none
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 05:43:38 PM »
I had the same problem & had to return the unit to Humminbird

Offline navionic

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 04:32:04 AM »
If what you are saying is that the “Export Nav Data” menu is no longer in those models you mentioned with currently available software, than you would be correct.  As discussed elsewhere the “Export All Nav Data” was replaced when each unit received the Waypoint Management software upgrade, which for the units you mentioned was version 5.840 as it was for the 798ci HD Si unit that LocoD has. 

To export all navigation data:
Use the following instructions to export all of the control head’s waypoints,
routes, tracks, and groups to an installed, unlocked SD card.
1. Insert an unlocked SD card into the SD card slot.
2. Open the Waypoint Management Dialog Box: Press the MENU key
twice. Press the RIGHT Cursor key until the Navigation tab is selected.
Select Waypoints, Routes, Tracks. Press the RIGHT Cursor key.
3. Select Options > Select All and... > Export.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions to confirm or cancel the export.
Menu Waypont Management is not available. I can not remove navigation data or export all navigation data.

Offline navionic

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 06:21:00 AM »
Greg,
I have had my unit on all day today. It has NOT lost GPS connection. My plan is to monitor it as it is. If it begins to lose GPS connection again, I'll take it to my bud's 997 and attach his cables manually.
If I'm still having problems, I'll back up, reload the 5.21, and load a "new" 6.25.
If all else fails, I'll send it in. I'll post again when I get all this done.
Thanks again for all the ideas and help.
As I understood the problem is solved.  As it was possible to include gps? Please write in detail

Offline navionic

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 06:22:36 AM »
I had the same problem & had to return the unit to Humminbird
For me it is a problem. Far away from the plant Humminbird (Alabama)

Offline LocoD

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 07:34:31 AM »
I'm not saying the problem is solved. The "GPS not connected" comes and goes. However, yesterday it stayed connected all day. When I resolve the problem, I will post my solution if there is one.
Thanks.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 08:18:53 AM »
Menu Waypont Management is not available. I can not remove navigation data or export all navigation data.

Oh, so you are looking for an answer to your unit’s problem.  I thought you were trying to help LocoD since this was his post…

You should power your unit up in the forced Simulator mode.  You will than have access to the Nav menu tab.

Offline navionic

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 08:22:03 AM »
I'm not saying the problem is solved. The "GPS not connected" comes and goes. However, yesterday it stayed connected all day. When I resolve the problem, I will post my solution if there is one.
Thanks.
Which version of the firmware?   
I keep seeing in the status menu GPS unconnect   >:(

Offline navionic

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2012, 08:25:35 AM »
You should power your unit up in the forced Simulator mode.  You will than have access to the Nav menu tab.
Delete all data in forced mode simulator-YES. The problem persists. Changed the firmware version 5.210, 5.590, 6.250
The problem is not solved. The serial number begins with 1203xxxx-xxxx. Worked only 16 hours.
The problem started after a reset the settings to the factory default
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:28:41 AM by navionic »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2012, 08:28:49 AM »
Delete all data in forced mode simulator-YES. The problem persists. Changed the firmware version 5.210, 5.590, 6.250
The problem is not solved.

Well than it sounds like your only option is to send your unit(s) into a Service Center to have them fixed.  An option to that would be to purchase and use an external GPS Receiver.

Offline navionic

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2012, 08:38:38 AM »
Well than it sounds like your only option is to send your unit(s) into a Service Center to have them fixed.  An option to that would be to purchase and use an external GPS Receiver.
New firmware can solve my problem?  It makes sense to wait for the new firmware?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2012, 10:56:12 AM »
New firmware can solve my problem?  It makes sense to wait for the new firmware?

No, I don’t think that new software would help your units problem.  It sounds more like the internal GPS Receiver has stopped working.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo