Author Topic: Map options for Humminbird  (Read 5863 times)

Offline sonarbear

• Unit(s): HB 898cxi SI HD
  • Software: na
  • Accessories: transom mount rod :-)
Map options for Humminbird
« on: May 03, 2016, 07:18:30 PM »
It's a fairly basic question I have: what types of maps can I use in my 898 cx unit? It comes with the preloaded internation map, which is useless in Germany. For my Lowrance there is a possibility to use their free MapCreator and run it on a vector map from OpenStreetMap. That gives a free option for maps. Is there an equivalent to use Google Maps or OSM on the humminbird? I don't need any depth info, I'm fine with regular water body contours.
I've also seen that Reefmaster can export Humminbird maps. Would this export the map it shows or do I get some crappy result?
I gues the general idea is to use Navionics. So I just buy one of their products, put it on SD and in the unit and I get a map? Can these cards be duplicated?  >:D
If you have any practial advice, I'd be very grateful!

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Re: Map options for Humminbird
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 03:13:35 PM »
Your 898 can utilize LakeMaster and Navionics ...

I don't think LakeMaster has any international versions ... You could call and ask to be sure ...
http://www.johnsonoutdoors.com/Main.aspx?id=127

Navionics has a web app that you can actually zoom in on to see the detail available on their map card for your lake ... 
http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#@6&key=gr~lE~_abO

Map cards are encrypted to keep from being copied ...

Mapping data is not loaded into the unit memory ... The unit reads the map data directly from the card and overlays the map data over the Contour XD background ...

I have not used ReefMaster ...

Rickie
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 03:14:44 PM by rnvinc »

Offline sonarbear

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 04:14:42 PM »
Thanks! Lake Master is just US. And navionics is good in the us too. In Germany it's just expensive and nothing more than lake and river outlines. I'm not going to pay 260 bucks for that.
I found one free Humminbird mapping tool in the fishing-for-men forum. With that one can create maps from small waters based on depth tracks and Google Earth kml's. That's at least something. But some guys started complaining that new firmware blocks the working of these homemade maps.
In my opinion Humminbird policy just plainly s****.

Offline Moose1am

• Unit(s): 898c si
  • Software: 6.610
  • Accessories: SDHC 8 GB SanDisk Extreme III
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 08:50:44 PM »
There use to be a free program that could take Humminbird tracks and data and create a lake contour map but Johnson Controls (Humminbird's Parent Company) bought that company and shut it down. After that they came out with the AutoChart and AutoChart PRO Programs from Humminbird.   If you have an Onix or Helix System you might be able to use Autochart live with those and make your own maps of your lakes.

If you want a lake map it looks like you are going to have to buy the Autochart Pro and do the survey for yourself on your lakes that you fish and make your own maps.  Yes, that does sound bad if you are in Germany not in the USA. 

But to make you feel better I'll tell you this.  The lakemaster map that I have for my USA lake in Southern IN is not that good.  The accuracy of the contour lines is not perfect and when I try to troll crank baits and follow a contour lines manually I often end up running my baits into water shallower than what the map says should be there.  I guess we are all effected by the inaccuracies in the data on some of these maps.
Regards,

Moose1am

Offline sonarbear

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 03:00:40 PM »
Do you mean DrDepth? I don't need online mapping at all. I'd just take the river outlines, that would be enough. It would just be good if one could use preexisting vectors from OSM or the like, because the Elbe river is fairly complicated due to all the river dams.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo