Author Topic: What should I do?  (Read 3517 times)

Offline bass1958

What should I do?
« on: September 17, 2010, 03:59:24 PM »
I have a 998 si console and 858c bow units.  They are interlinked and installed by the boat manufacturer.   From the beginning the units would freeze up and interlink disconnect.  I upgraded the 998 software to version v4_970.  Humminbird sent me instructions on how to reset the interlink to fix the problem.  Both units still freeze up and interlink disconnects occasional.  Even when it says the interlink is connected I can put a waypoint on one unit but it won't show up on the other.
I switched to Humminbird when I bought the new boat because I had issues with the Lowrance units I had freezing up and no support but at least the interlink worked.
What should I do - where should I start to look at diagnosing these problem?   

Offline bass1958

Re: What should I do?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 04:07:26 PM »
I will point out that the boat manufacturer said power from both units are connected to the master power switch on the boat. Could this be the culprit?

bobcoy

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
You might try putting the voltage on your unit onscreen and see if it gets lower than 11 volts at times. You may want to watch as you put loads from other things in your boat. It may just be a bad connection on a battery or you boats fuse/connection block. Bob

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 11:46:06 AM »
As Bobcoy pointed out; it could be a low voltage (or low current, which may not show on the voltage readout) problem you have hear.  I would try running a set of wires from each unit directly back to the battery (adding in-line fuses of course).

Make sure that the software on the 858 is updated too (I’m not at work so I can’t check what the latest software version is).

If that doesn’t help than call Humminbird again and see what else is suggested.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline bass1958

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 06:05:20 PM »
I'll bring a volt meter out with me next time.  The volts on the humminbird showed ~12 when it froze up this past weekend.  Saturday it froze up 5 times.  Each time I have to turn off the main power switch.  A friend was fishing the tournament with me and he hast he exact same models as mine, just a different brand boat.  He has been having the same issues.
I checked on the 858 and didn't see a software upgrade.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 09:09:23 AM »
bass1958,
The latest software for the 858 is 4.970 just like the 998 unit.
I would try wiring the unit directly to the cranking battery (with the in-line fuse) as the volt meter will probably show the same as the unit – in that it will not show the current flowing to your units.  I would use at least a 16 gauge wire for this.

Offline bass1958

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 08:31:31 AM »
So I can upgarde the 858 unit with the 998_v4_970.bin file?
Is it the bin file I put onthe mmc toplug into the unit?

Wayne P.

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 10:06:54 AM »
bass1958, no you can't, each unit has it's specific software even though the file extension version number is the same. Part of the software version ID is the unit's model number.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 10:04:41 AM »
bass1958, no you can't, each unit has it's specific software even though the file extension version number is the same. Part of the software version ID is the unit's model number.
Wayne P is right.  I just meant that both units had the same changes and software revision level was all.  Each unit has it's own unique software update file.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal