Author Topic: Erratic depth readings  (Read 20745 times)

Offline JohnT

• Unit(s): 859ci hd di
  • Software: 4.3.8
Erratic depth readings
« on: April 19, 2014, 10:09:39 AM »
I have a brand new 859ci hd di and the depth readings bounce all over the place.  All other readings are correct (temp, speed, gps, etc).  Was fishing in 150-200' of water, and the depth would vary from greater than 200' to just a few feet, most of the time it displayed a few feet.  Also had 'bands' across the screen display making it pretty much useless.

This is my second HB, so I'm pretty sure the unit is installed correctly and all wiring and connections are secure (I've double and triple checked everything).  Battery voltage is about 12.2 volts, and voltage at the unit is the same.  All settings have been reset to factory default.  The latest software update is installed. 

Called Humminbird and they suggested I set the max depth to 10% more than the depth where I'm fishing.  Didn't work.  They then went on and on about interference, shape of the boat, connections, etc, all of which seemed like excuses to me.  I've had other units without a problem.

I gotta believe the transducer is faulty?  Any other ideas?  I very nearly threw the whole thing in the water.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: Erratic depth readings
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 12:34:08 PM »
Welcome to the Humminbird Side Imaging Forums JohnT.

Just a guess here but your unit is a DI model unit and by the default setting it should be using the DI sonar to determine water depth.  150+ feet may be all that it is capable of where you were at so try setting the Digital Depth Source menu to the “2D Element” setting.

What type of water were you in?
Did you try changing the Surface Clutter menu setting?
Did this depth reading problem only happen when the boat was moving above a certain speed?
Did this depth reading problem only happen when something else on the boat was running?
Do you have a Screen Snapshot of what the display looked like when it was doing this?
Do you know of anyone else who has a Humminbird DI model unit that you could cross-test with on the same body of water?

[EDIT: Added "Digital Depth Source" to opening statement.]
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 10:54:29 AM by Humminbird_Greg »
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline JohnT

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 05:04:29 PM »
All good questions, here's my best shot with answers:
I was primarily using a split screen displaying both standard sonar + DI.  Maybe that caused the problem?  However I did try just the standard sonar with same results.
Freshwater, very clear.  Depth wasn't an issue with my previous unit which had DI.
Yes, I played with the surface clutter settings with no improvement.
Problem occurred in both moving and still in deep water. 
No other electrical items were running.  I was running the kicker motor that is on the opposite side of the boat.
No, I did not capture a Screen Snapshot … didn't know I could do that?
No, I don't know anyone else who has a HB DI model.  HB isn't real common around here.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 11:01:21 AM »
“Depth wasn't an issue with my previous unit which had DI”
What was your previous DI unit?
Is this using the same transducer or is this the transducer that came with your 859ci HD DI unit?
Where is the transducer mounted, off the transom or inside-the-hull?
Is this the same location as the previous DI transducer?
Do you still have the previous DI transducer that you could use to test with?

Screen Snapshots are not hard.  Just install an SD or SDHC memory card, set the Screen Snapshot menu (found under the Accessories menu tab) to “On”.  When you want to make a screen snapshot just press the MENU button (also marks a waypoint) and the resulting *.PNG file will be sent to the memory card.

Offline JohnT

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 11:27:48 AM »
I had a 597ci hd di
I installed the new transducer.  FYI, I replaced the transducer twice on this unit due to the similar problems.
The transducer is mounted off the transom, port side.  Exact same location as before (same bracket).
Yes, I have the old unit and can use it to test with … it's just a hassle to rewire, but I'll do it.

I will try to get on the water one evening this week to obtain a screen shot + test the other unit.  I will also try various other settings (standard depth finder only, DI only, surface clutter, various speeds, moving vs stopped, etc).

I realize electronics can be a hassle (I deal with computers all day in my business) … but this seems like a lot of effort for something that should work out of the box.  Regardless, I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 11:51:08 AM »
Thanks JohnT.  I just want to make sure it is a unit problem (and it is sounding more and more like it is) before you ship in in to be serviced.

Offline JohnT

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 12:08:06 AM »
A friend and I spent an hour this evening going over everything: factory default settings, adjusting settings, standard sonar, DI, dual screen, main motor, kicker motor, electric motor, fast, slow, deep water, shallow water, connections, battery charge, etc, etc, etc.

We were looking for some commonality, something obvious that triggers the problem - but there was nothing consistent.  It would work for a few minutes, then go bad, then good, then bad.  It's pretty much useless. 

Regrettably I don't have screen shots.  I thought I had captured a few, but apparently not ... my fault.

So, to make a long story short --- I just got off the phone with Cabela's and will return it for a full refund.  I gotta admit I'm pretty disappointed.  For $700 I want something that works out of the box, not one that is repaired. 

Offline bradleyten

• Unit(s): 859 ci hd di
  • Software: ver 7.020
  • Accessories: xi 9 20
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 02:03:02 PM »
i seem to have the same problem with my 859ci hd di  depth readings .i never noticed it till i put my xi 9 20 transducer on it for ice fishing but may have been there on my boat but did not do too much shallow open water fishing with it.i have the latest 7.020 software and tried all different settings to clear up the problem of bad readings under 10 ft of water depth .i have set the lower range depth range to the need depth to see the bottom and did not fix it.might go out and get a snapshot today. any ideas out there

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 12:44:36 PM »
bradleyten,
When you used the XI-9-20 Ice Ducer with your 859ci HD DI unit; what did you have the Connected Transducer menu set to?
Did you make this change before or after connecting up the XI-9-20 Ice Ducer?
Is the DI sonar on your unit working now?

Offline bradleyten

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 06:52:53 PM »
i pretty sure i tried both the di 200/83 and dual beam settings and sure i tried it before and after just not 100% sure due to fact   that i was trying everything i could think of.i did take a snap shot when it was doing it and i notice if i set the depth on the max depth it seem to not jump around .i also brought along my xpth 9 di t that i have and with all setting the same it seems to work ok it just a little bulky to ice fish with and also will not stay on my lure due it wont stay level under the ice.let me know if think of anything to try . i attached the snapshot

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 01:10:51 PM »
bradleyten,
My questions were because of a concern that you may have damaged the DI circuitry in your 859ci HD DI unit by using a non-DI transducer without first changing the Connected transducer menu.  If the Di is working okay now with the DI transducer you should be okay.

When using a non-DI transducer, like the Ice Ducer, you will need to set the Digital Depth Source menu to the “2D element” menu setting.  Try that and see if it works better for you.

Offline bradleyten

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 08:51:14 PM »
well i know i changed to 2d element per the instruction that came with the xi 9 20 .do not know if i ever change it off of that setting but maybe when i was using it could have gotten change for just a minute but it was still on 2d element when i looked at it tonight.   now i am worried  broke the di  i took it out to a local river with my xpth 9 di t and dragged it along the shore line and tried to take a snapshot and did not look good .but may not have been moving fast enough too.i just wish i would have know it was that sensitive to causing damage to the unit i would have been allot more careful or gone a different route for ice fishing.just wanted to get the most use out of such a nice unit and summers are short here  .what can be done at this point since it only 6 months old

Offline bkinsey

• Unit(s): 859Ci DI Combo
  • Software: 7.020
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 03:57:39 PM »
Glad to finally hear that other people are having the same problem. I called Humminbird for the same problem  and all they told me was to reset the devices. I have 2 859's and they both did that to me towards the latter part of the season. I hope somebody comes up with a fix real soon. I would hate to have wasted 1400 dollars on these.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 05:08:34 PM »
One issue with the HB transducers is the critical placement of the transducer with respect to the water line. Any aeration around the transducer will cause it to lose signal returns. Sonar does not work in air.
So erratic depths can be related to the location of the transducer both sitting still and especially when on running plane.  There are a couple of other problems but I would check the location with respect to the speed you are running...And ensure that the transducer is not coming out of the water or that another part of the boat is introducing "bubbles" around the transducer... Chuck

Offline bkinsey

• Unit(s): 859Ci DI Combo
  • Software: 7.020
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 11:14:02 AM »
My transducers are fine as far as placement. This problem occurs even when standing still in the water.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 03:28:23 PM »
As long as the transducer is remaining in the water and not bouncing above due to waves then your placement might be ok.   Chuck

Offline Redge

• Unit(s): 958, 1198
  • Software: 6.68, 6.74
  • Accessories: HS puck
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 12:08:54 PM »
To add to the list, I have a 959 that I just bought.  It replaced a 958 so I could use the 360.  I have noticed and emailed HB about is it loosing depth in less than 15' of water, it starts jumping all over the place.  Tried all the standard stuff, reset to defaults....  Using the TD that came with the 959.  I am wondering if this is a software issue?  I have max depth set to 130' which is 10' deeper than my home lake.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2014, 09:54:15 AM »
well i know i changed to 2d element per the instruction that came with the xi 9 20 .do not know if i ever change it off of that setting but maybe when i was using it could have gotten change for just a minute but it was still on 2d element when i looked at it tonight.   now i am worried  broke the di  i took it out to a local river with my xpth 9 di t and dragged it along the shore line and tried to take a snapshot and did not look good .but may not have been moving fast enough too.i just wish i would have know it was that sensitive to causing damage to the unit i would have been allot more careful or gone a different route for ice fishing.just wanted to get the most use out of such a nice unit and summers are short here  .what can be done at this point since it only 6 months old

bradleyten,
Like I stated before: if your DI sonar is working you did not damage anything.  It is not a guaranteed thing that you can damage the DI sonar circuitry by using a non-DI transducer without first setting the Connected Transducer menu but the possibility of it does exist and it is something that needs to be eliminated as a possible cause of the erratic depth issues.

Not much to do at this point if you cannot get back out on the water as dragging the transducer along the shoreline will not produce good tests results.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo