Author Topic: Re: Newbie Questions  (Read 3883 times)

Offline johnny miller

• Unit(s): 598 si
Re: Newbie Questions
« on: October 01, 2013, 09:25:04 AM »
I have received my 598 si back with no problems listed so I am re installing the unit and would like some input.  My old unit was attached to trolling motor and this will also.  The power hook up is what I want to address.  The panel on the bow of the boat has buttons for tilt, lights, and live well.  My old unit got its power from the back of this panel with a 3 amp fuse inline.  When I first installed I simply used this hook up without putting the new power cord on as the old on fit.  I am wondering if this was the cause of the distortions.  So I want to now use the new power cord since it has a round something installed on the cord that the old on did not.  (Good terms right).  Is this ok to do as the old one was hooked into this panel, or should I hook up power different?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: Re: Newbie Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 11:42:28 AM »
I split your post off the other topic as it was about something different than the original post.

The best practice to always connect your unit directly to the battery and not to use the boat's available wiring.  Using the existing wiring may cause a low power condition that can cause all sorts of problems with your unit.  I recommend running a new set of 16 gauge (or larger) wires all the way back to the boat's cranking battery.  Add in a new fuse and fuse holder and be sure to solder and seal all electrical connections.  This should give you many years of trouble free use.

That round thing on the new power cable is a ferrite ring that is already built into it.  Many refer to it as a "choke" as it chokes out some of the electrical interference that the unit may have been getting through the power connection.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline papasage

• Unit(s): 598 si di 3575 depth finder and one dow
  • Software: non
  • Accessories: non
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 01:07:08 PM »
i hooked mine to  where  my old  finder was  and when i cranked the motor it would go off or  act up can`t remember  all that it did  but after  running  to a  wire that feeds  the lights and billag pump  it .
works fine now .

Offline papasage

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 09:42:56 PM »
i had some distortions and one time when i powered up the trolling motor  so i ran a wire to my cranking battery .

Offline papasage

Re: Re: Newbie Questions
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 08:31:12 PM »
if a battery is weak  and you power up like cranking or running the trolling motor it will  shoe some  problem  . i had one hooked to trolling battery and when i ran the trolling motor it would go crazy  this started  some times after i installed  it  so i hooked it to the cranking  and no problem .

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal