Author Topic: AutoChart missing World & Regional Map in Win 10  (Read 5783 times)

Offline marcal

• Unit(s): Helix 9 Mega SI GPS G2N
AutoChart missing World & Regional Map in Win 10
« on: June 09, 2021, 02:31:53 AM »
I'm trying to run Autochart Pro in Windows 10 pro 64bit. When the prog starts it does not show the world map. Also, after import tracks or sonar, map here,  and click create map the lake outline does not show. In both cases the backround is blank(white).  In Tools\Settings\Lakemaster\World Map path is set to it's normal C:/ProgramData/AutoChart/World/LkMaster. I've tried copying the /World/LkMaster folder to other hard drives and pointed to it there without effect.
(Note: on this Tools\Settings\Lakemaster tab they use forward slash in the path text instead of the backslash which is the normally used syntax. If you use the browse method on this tab to locate the folder, the path text will have backslash. When the program is closed and restarted it will revert the path to forward slash. In other instances such as path to Chart File Index the backslash is used). I've seen some screenshot of this tab and it looks like they do in fact use forward slash. Comments???

Similarly, for the regional map, it doesn't matter if I have the Zero Line sd card online, or changed it to a folder where I've copied the Zero Line sd card to. I wondered if the ZL card got corrupt. An HB tech support allowed me to download the ZeroLine files to a brand new ecrypted sd card. But that hasn't helped. If the backround map is changed to one of the online USGS maps those do work. But if it's set to use a ZL card theres no lake outline, just blank white.

I've lost count how many times I've uninstalled and reinstalled, each time meticulously  removing all traces of AutoChart in the registry. Tried v2.100, v2.200, and v2.300. Tried installing into folders other than normal Program Files(x86) location. None of the compatibility modes have had any effect.

So I'm desperately hoping someone out there has some suggestions. It's only been a couple days since these steps have been sent to HB tech support so there's still hope that they may have some answers.

Thanks for any replies,
M

Offline D S

• Unit(s): 1198 ,798hd , ipilot link and 360tm
  • Software: 7.5
  • Accessories: HDSI reefmaster Dr Depth autocharts pro
Re: AutoChart missing World & Regional Map in Win 10
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 12:25:18 PM »
call HB support............. they can fix you up i had same problem with autocharts pro a while back  i had one file in a wrong location or something like that
stgr

Offline marcal

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 03:58:12 PM »
  DS:
 Yes, I have spoken to HB support several times prior to my posting here. They are very nice and apologetic but unfortunately could not offer any concrete solutions or troubleshooting procedures. Haven't heard back from them recently but I'm ever the optimist and hoping that they will forward my problem to a more senior software tech.
  I have been able to find a couple of posts with some information in this and another user forum. Specifically those posts are about errors with the path statements which point to the location of the world map and ZL card data. (ie. Tools\Settings\Lakemaster\).  As I previously reported I think I have exhausted placing those files in different locations and syntax's for the path statement. There are a total of 8 string path keys in the Autochart registry. Whether the program can't find these files or whether it is unable to parse them is an open question. In addition to trying various path statements in the registry I have also added several file locations to the Windows Environment Path.

Can you provide any more specific information about what files you had in an incorrect location? Is your OS Win 10 32 or 64 bit? (I'm running 64 bit). Are you running Autochart in a compatibility mode?

Whether the OS is 32 bit or 64 may be significant because the differing schemes Windows has used for locations of files. The HB statement for system requirements seems rather vague and outdated imo.
 Several users have commented in other posts that they run Windows 10 successfully but have not specified whether 32 or 64 bit.

If anyone else out there is running in Win 10 Pro 64 bit build 1904 or higher any tidbits of info would be greatly appreciated.

Tnkx.

Offline rbdavis3591

• Unit(s): Helix 9 SI
  • Software: Unknown
  • Accessories: None
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 05:26:25 PM »
I run AutoChart Pro using this version of Windows 10 Home:
  • System type   64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
  • Version   21H1
  • Installed on   ‎10/‎25/‎2020
  • OS build   19043.1052
  • Experience   Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0

Have you tried running the DEMO mode in AutoChart? Also to ask a basic question have you right-clicked in the white area of the background and chose "Background Map"?

Offline marcal

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 05:56:39 PM »
   rbdavis3591:
 Thanks for the reply. Good to see someone confirm they are running Win10 64 bit.
 Yes, I have tried both the demos. When they finish there's no 'map here' box like when you import your own data. Clicking the 'create map' after demo runs it converts the tracks to depth contours.
Yes, the right click, backround is checked. If I go to the Tools\Settings\Backround and select an online backround instead of Lakemaster, such as a USGS topo those DO show up. Another point to note is that the 'Lakemaster Update' icon is always greyed out, and the File\Save and Save As are also greyed out.
 Having them greyed out leads me to believe that it doesn't recognize my Zero Line card. Whether I have the actual sd card inserted or pointed to a copy on a hard drive. HB tech support allowed me to make a new ZL card in case my old one was corrupt. But that didn't help.

Kewl.. The demo is Lake Lanier, my home lake.

Since you didn't mention it may I assume your are not running in any compatibility mode?
Also, may I ask which version Autochart are you running. v2.100, v2.200, or v2.300. (I've tried v2.100 and v2.300 full versions, not just the update .exe.)

Offline rbdavis3591

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2021, 07:51:00 PM »
I am running AutoChart Version 2.300 but not in compatibility mode. I also have copied my LakeMaster card data to D:/AutoChart Pro/LkMaster and used that path in TOOLS - SETTINGS - LAKEMASTER.

When the location I entered for AutoChart to find the LkMaster folder was incorrect the LakeMaster Layer option was greyed out but when a valid path was entered the Layer option changed to "Default".

I don't have my ZeroLine card with me so I can't test based on your setup. When I run the demo I also do not get the MAP HERE option.

Since I am using a copy of the LakeMaster card data I do not get the option to "Update LakeMaster Content" but do have the option to "Local Update" but I also have the ability to SAVE or SAVE AS.

Randy

Offline marcal

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2021, 09:26:39 PM »
 Randy:
 Thanks for you help, good info. More than I'm getting from HB lately.
 But what the problem is here is still a conundrum within a mystery.
After I run the demo I do not have Local Update or Lakemaster Update enabled, but File\Save and Save As is available.
 Your info tidbit about the Tools\Settings\Backround\Lakemaster = default being greyed out when the world map path is wrong is informative.

I wonder if the Local Update and Lakemaster Update being greyed out might be an indicator of an incorrect path to Zero Line Card or unrecognized ZL folder. I have the actual sd card plugged in, and also a copy of the sd card on a hard drive. Do you know of a sure method of confirming validity of the ZL card or path to a copy of it?

Offline rbdavis3591

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2021, 10:23:44 AM »
Looking at the file structure for the LakeMaster subfolders for both AutoChart Pro and Zero Line I see they were different. Try setting the path to the AutoChart Pro LakeMaster folder and see if that helps.

Offline marcal

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2021, 04:40:37 PM »
Still no joy.
 HB tech support thought there might be a problem with my activation key. They said they reset it and wanted me to reinstall. I can't see anything that would indicate an activation problem. But that's what they suggested so why not try again. Did another full uninstall deleting all folders and registry keys, then an install. Unfortunately nothing has changed. Since other users are ok running on Win 10 64 bit makes me think something unique to this pc is a problem. Still searching for what that may be.

Offline rbdavis3591

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2021, 05:19:51 PM »
Do you have another computer you can install AutoChart Pro on to make sure that it works the way you are expecting it too?

Offline marcal

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2021, 06:05:59 PM »
Randy:

As I understand the licensing you are allowed to install in 2 computers. I have it installed on an old laptop using Win XP and this desktop with Win 10. So if I tried installing onto a third pc it would not activate.
 Interestingly though, I do have a virtual machine hosted by this Win 10 machine which runs  Win 7 32 bit. I installed Autochart onto it and it successfully activated. I'd take a wild guess and say the activation server is using the ethernet mac address to identify a particular computer. You can see the mashup of the activation returned as a very long string entered into one of the registry subkeys.
 So then the next question is, why didn't it work in the virtual Win 7 machine.

Offline rbdavis3591

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2021, 06:10:57 PM »
You can always deactivate the laptop AutoChart Pro so you can install AutoChart Pro on another computer.

Also does the laptop with AutoChart Pro work correctly?

Offline marcal

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2021, 06:30:48 PM »
Yes the laptop works. But soooo slowwww. Since it does work I don't want to mess with it. If I deactivate the laptop I can't go back later and reactivate it without HB tech support intervening to reset the activation key for it. (of so I believe). I've got several other pc's but they are running Win 10 64 also.
 I only just sent HB another email last night recapping everthing. I'm still hoping the HB frontline support will bump it up to an engineer to get their take on the situation. Just ordered a new factory made Zero Line card to try instead of my downloaded ones.
 Curious if the product.id file on the ZL card makes a difference. That contents of that file is significantly different on old ZL card vs the ZL card I made last week. You can open it in notepad. It's a bunch of plain text parameters.

Offline rbdavis3591

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2021, 06:54:31 PM »
You might try starting AutoChart Pro without the Zero Line card inserted. Once it finishes opening then try inserting the Zero Line card.

Another option would be to deactivate your Windows 10 license and try installing AutoChart Pro on another computer. If problems continue on the second computer then maybe the Zero Line card is corrupt.

I have had good luck getting Humminbird to reset my license when my computer hard drive crashed and AutoChart Pro was still linked to that hard drive. Since you have already opened support tickets with them you should not have any problems reactivating AutoChart Pro.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo