Author Topic: Connecting the Pieces  (Read 4184 times)

Offline Stymie

• Unit(s): 898, 898
  • Software: Latest
  • Accessories: XM Weather, TM 360, AS GPS HS
Connecting the Pieces
« on: February 12, 2010, 12:54:44 PM »
Any help on where to find interconnecting information for two units, two external GPS's, interlink and weathersense would be appreciated.

Trying to figure out if everything is in the boxes or if additional cables or adapters would be needed.

Thanks,
Sty

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
Re: Connecting the Pieces
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 10:53:19 PM »
You should have everything you need.  Each unit comes with a NMEA COM cable, Interlink should come with its own cables, and the WeatherSense has a cable on each end to pass through data.

Greg has some wiring diagrams somewhere.  I will take a look around.

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline Stymie

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 11:23:09 PM »
The weather sense unit  had me boggled.  The online manual says it has a 3 foot cable and I needed to go through it and therefore two cables.

I think you're right that I'll have everything I need.  All photos of this unit show two integrated cables.

Also, the gps units manuals state they come with Y cables, which is exactly what I need.

Customer service gave me a bit of bad info saying that I should connect one of my external gps heads to the interlink and disregard the other, but all info that I read say to connect each external gps directly to their respective control units.

I have a seminar to attend tomorrow, will listen to both vendors and be open to any new information and vocal on my concerns. 

I've read the forums, I've read the manuals, I've experienced both units on the water. They both have great features.  They both have some limitations. Either will help me fish more intelligently. 

I'm 98% sure that I'll go with HB.  My order is already in, the other side needs to reassure me on my concerns for me to turn.

Thanks to all on this board that have enlightened me and to you Rob on going to the other board and shedding light on some topics.  It has quieten down since your arrival.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 11:54:13 AM »
Stymie,
There are a few ways to connect two GPS Receivers to two units with the InterLink module.  I would prefer to connect each GPS Receiver to the unit that will be using it so that I can position the GPS Receiver closer to the transducer that the unit will be using.  More accurate waypoint marking that way.  If I do this right there should be a diagram showing how to connect these (if this does not work just e-mail me and ask for it).

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Stymie

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 07:21:59 PM »
Greg,

Got the diagram. 

This is how I envisioned the wiring also.  I plan to stick the interlink and the weathersense next to each other under the dash against a bulkhead with the storage area.

I went to the seminar and decided that I will keep my HB order. 

Saw my dream boat but was a little short about $50K. Maybe next time.

Learned that the Low's  Down Scan area is roughly equal to the depth.  Hadn't heard that before.  Did not get info on HB's Down imaging width or what wide, narrow and medium mean. 

Got a date on shipment of the HB's, but I won't have the unit by my Guntersville trip....Good thing I know a couple of holes on that lake!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo