Author Topic: Losing settings and Screenshots  (Read 4548 times)

Offline BryanB

• Unit(s): 798CI SI
  • Software: 5.840
Losing settings and Screenshots
« on: August 10, 2012, 11:29:44 AM »
Am I over looking something, whenever I come home after a trip the next day I check my unit to see the Screenshots I marked and they are gone. I was wondering, because last night on the lake I went to check a spot and hit view to get to my screenshots and it showed nothing, and I remembered taking several the last trip, but they were all gone.

I have a 8 gig SD card in it. I took 1 last night and the same thing happened.

Also I lose settings, I have to tell the unit on each trip to take Screenshots in the settings, its always set to OFF and I have to remember to turn it back on along with a few other settings. I have a power switch on my boat dash that turns all power off. Does the unit have to have a continuous source of power to maintain settings ?

For some reason my pics are not being saved to my SD or being erased, and always losings settings. Seems strange or I missing something : (

Thanks guys, be safe !   

Edit:

Formatting the SD Card again and see if that helps. I would figure if it took a screenshot it would write to the SD Card no matter what happened. But on the computer the Record and Screenshot folders are empty.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 11:41:25 AM by BryanB »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: Losing settings and Screenshots
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 12:42:41 PM »
BryanB,
Make sure that you are using the correct formatting software with that 8GB SDHC memory card.  You can use HumminbirdPC to fully format the memory card or you can get the (same) correct formatting software off of the SD Association’s web site.  Be sure to select to fully format the memory card when you do so.

Make sure that you are powering your 798ci Si unit off with the unit’s power button and not at the boat’s power switch.  Once the unit has shut off you can use the boat’s power switch.  The unit has to perform a few functions before shutting off and remembering menu settings is one of them.

If you are seeing a Snapshot and Record folder on the memory card than we know that the unit is communicating at some level with the memory card.

When you make a Screen Snapshot are you seeing any sort of pop-up message?

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline BryanB

• Unit(s): 798CI SI
  • Software: 5.840
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 10:41:21 PM »
Ill stop using the power switch on the dash, bad habit, Im positive your correct on the lose of settings due to my bad habit of power off with my dash switch. And yes I get a popup message that all is well when I mark something, no errors. I'll just start for now on powering down properly when Im done and check it the next day after a fishing trip and make sure all is well.

Lost allot of screenshots the last trip I wanted to keep, I just thought for some reason that the unit wrote the image file right to the SD Card as soon as it was taking with no worries on lose no matter how I powered the unit off. I guess there is some kind of powering down like you said that needs to be done in order for the files to save permanently.

Thanks again for your time and fast response.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 02:56:00 PM »
The unit does save the Screen Snapshot to the memory card when it is made; so it will be interesting if your powering the unit off with the boat’s power switch affected this or if it is something else (as I suspect it is).

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo